• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Boston Acoustics A400 Buying/Repair Advice

DocStock

New Member
Hello all, new member here, and my first post. I have a line on a pair of Boston A400s locally through CL. The owner is asking $250 for the pair, and from the pictures they seem to be in good condition. I called the owner and he alerted me to an issue with one of the midrange speakers. I haven't had the chance to take a look at them in person, so I don't know how serious the issue is.

Through research however, I've discovered that finding replacement parts for the A400 is very difficult. Replacement drivers for any A series speaker are hard enough to find, and the A400 drivers are practically unobtanium. I called Boston Acoustics this morning, and I was told over the phone that they do not carry replacement parts for any A series speaker anymore. I'll be checking the speakers out soon, but in the meantime, does anyone know where I can find repair/replacement parts for the A400? Also, if the parts are as rare as they are, is it wise for me to make this purchase?
 
Register to hide this ad
I bet they need new foam surrounds. Top of the line Boston and are worth it! I thought at least the tweeters and woofers were similar to a A60/A70. All over ebay.
 
Last edited:
Talk the seller down to 200$ because of the malfunction he is talking about.... and grab those speakers.

Be aware that they are 4 ohms.

My '' once owned and missed'' A400 in my avatar.
 
There are plenty of parted-out Bostons floating around out there, the midrange should be the same one as used in the A150 and A200.

Use the correct foam surrounds for Boston woofers rather than generics, if they're needed.
 
Hello all, new member here, and my first post. I have a line on a pair of Boston A400s locally through CL. The owner is asking $250 for the pair, and from the pictures they seem to be in good condition. I called the owner and he alerted me to an issue with one of the midrange speakers. I haven't had the chance to take a look at them in person, so I don't know how serious the issue is.

Through research however, I've discovered that finding replacement parts for the A400 is very difficult. Replacement drivers for any A series speaker are hard enough to find, and the A400 drivers are practically unobtanium. I called Boston Acoustics this morning, and I was told over the phone that they do not carry replacement parts for any A series speaker anymore. I'll be checking the speakers out soon, but in the meantime, does anyone know where I can find repair/replacement parts for the A400? Also, if the parts are as rare as they are, is it wise for me to make this purchase?
Ask the seller if the A400's are first series, series II or series III. Drivers vary between series. What is the issue with the midrange driver?
 
A400s are the best sounding speakers I have ever owned.

However, I would give up a little sound quality and instead have a pair of their successors, the T1000/1030 etc.

They look sooo much better. The A400s are.. odd.
 
Ask the seller if the A400's are first series, series II or series III. Drivers vary between series. What is the issue with the midrange driver?
I'm not entirely sure what the issue is. The seller's description is that it's some sort of faint static sound coming from that midrange. Haven't heard it myself, so it's hard to say. The seller said he removed the midrange in question and rotated it before screwing it back into the cab in an attempt to see if changing the holes would provide a better seal. Perhaps the gasket is the source of the problem?
 
Doubt its a gasket. All 6 of the foam surrounds will need replacement if they haven't been already. Boston speakers are about the easiest to refoam.

Go look at them before they are gone! Sometimes when a rare speaker like that pops up you have to jump on it.

BTW welcome. :)
 
There are plenty of parted-out Bostons floating around out there, the midrange should be the same one as used in the A150 and A200.

No, the A150/200 use a self-enclosed 4-inch mid, the 400 has a 6 1/2 inch enclosed by the cabinet. Also, in reference to another post, I don't believe the 400s had different series.
 
No, the A150/200 use a self-enclosed 4-inch mid, the 400 has a 6 1/2 inch enclosed by the cabinet. Also, in reference to another post, I don't believe the 400s had different series.
I have to admit I did make an assumption regarding the A400 having never had any personal experience with them. I own a pair of the original A200's with the Seas tweeters and have owned Series II A150's in the past. I was aware that the 6&1/2" midrange driver appeared to be unique to the A400. :)
 
I just grabbed a pir of a400 that had the woofers replaced. Seller claimed the previous owner did it. Was hesitant but they actually sound really good. I paid $300 Canadian and have them running beside my sonus faber right now. While obviously the Sonus still win, the a400 are surprisingly good.
 
I just grabbed a pir of a400 that had the woofers replaced. Seller claimed the previous owner did it. Was hesitant but they actually sound really good. I paid $300 Canadian and have them running beside my sonus faber right now. While obviously the Sonus still win, the a400 are surprisingly good.
Woofers replaced with the correct ones or generic? Recap, replace ferrofluid. Try them again, even bi-amp them. Sonus Faber may still win but the gap will be closer. :)
 
Woofers replaced with the correct ones or generic? Recap, replace ferrofluid. Try them again, even bi-amp them. Sonus Faber may still win but the gap will be closer. :)
No idea. The woofers are obvious not original. I have no idea what they did to the crossover etc or if the tweeter were done. Both tweets do function well. There is another one owner pair up for grabs right now too. All orig except for refoam.
 
Back
Top Bottom