• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bozak 302a Tobin Mods 2015

Newbi reading these older posts...
FYI, my B302A's, code 6311, appear to be factory condition and do not have the reverse polarity so the decision to do that must have come after November, 1963.
 
FYI, my B302A's, code 6311, appear to be factory condition and do not have the reverse polarity so the decision to do that must have come after November, 1963.

You might conclude that but your sample size is too small. Bozak's model change decisions are rarely defined by a single demarcation point.

The midrange polarity reversal first occurred circa 1961 with the introduction of the aluminum-cone B-200Y tweeter which replaced the paper-cone B-200X. The modification attempted to create a more forward presentation for the aluminum-cone B-209 to better match the now louder tweeter without attenuating the tweeter, which would effectively reduce the dispersion in a large room. (Tobin added a fixed attenuator to adjust the SPL, but Bozak never used such a solution.) The midrange's polarity reversal initially was a factory/dealer option, then an optional customer retrofit by the dealer, and by 1970 was the standard product.

Many speakers were changing to reversed-polarity midranges starting in the 1960s. Roy Allison convinced Vilchur to change the AR-3 in 1959 and this remained common until the speakers after the AR-3a.

I've elsewhere quoted Betts' discussion as to why Bozak made that decision.
 
Wow, trip down memory lane

So much gear has passed thru my hands and I miss all of it

Oddly enough, the only piece of equipment I’ve ever truly missed were a pair of custom 302a’s that I made right, my first Bozaks. Retrovert spent a tireless 2 weeks helping me through the crossover updating. They were the most perfect sounding speakers. I ended up trading them for a pair of EMF TLS 80s. I sold those soon after. It took a few years of patient waiting, and impatient pestering for the new owner to sell them back to me. A 4 hour round trip and they’re back home. Everything else? Meh.

Biggles
 
@drbiggles I just got my first 302's. Retrovert is helping me muddle thru the upgrades. I love the sound as-is. Can't wait to hear them after all the upgrades. Glad to hear you liked them so much. Gives me motivation to do them right!
 
@Retrovert Agreed, my sample of one does not make it so for all. Just thought I'd share in case someone else is in the same boat. Your comment here finallly made clear to me why Bozak introduced the polarity shift to begin with. To compensate for the louder tweeter model. ...it's all slowly coming into focus!
 
index.php

My office system at one time
I had urbans and centurys
Those were the days my friend

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/added-taper-legs-to-my-bozaks.585705/
 
Your comment here finallly made clear to me why Bozak introduced the polarity shift to begin with. To compensate for the louder tweeter model. ...it's all slowly coming into focus!

The polarity reversal is a faux compensation, as the midrange is not actually increased in volume (SPL measured in dB), it is merely perceived as being more prominent or noticeable.
 
@drbiggles I just got my first 302's. Retrovert is helping me muddle thru the upgrades. I love the sound as-is. Can't wait to hear them after all the upgrades. Glad to hear you liked them so much. Gives me motivation to do them right!

The balance and precision between as is and properly updated is quite remarkable. It’s not for the feint of heart though, it’s an advanced project.

Biggles
 
Oddly enough, the only piece of equipment I’ve ever truly missed were a pair of custom 302a’s that I made right, my first Bozaks. Retrovert spent a tireless 2 weeks helping me through the crossover updating. They were the most perfect sounding speakers.

I consider working with you on those Bozaks as the single best investment of time I ever made in providing Bozak assistance!
 
What I need to do is quit my new job and work on speakers all day, again. This is what iam thinkin about.

Best. Job. Ever.

Now that we're all under quarantine, no excuse.

I need to order parts while the the UPS and the USPS are still delivering.
 
Best. Job. Ever.

Now that we're all under quarantine, no excuse.

I need to order parts while the the UPS and the USPS are still delivering.

Iam at work in the lab, no rest for me. All I care about is access to food. The only thing the profiteers left were canned garbanzos.

Biggles
 
Finshed project

Rinse and repeat...and we are done

I also glued a copy of the schematic to the bottom of each crossover.

View attachment 591340
Nicely done Omegaman...I am about to embark on the same journey.
Curious, can anyone advise to a downside for using female terminal connectors as opposed to directly solldering each connection?
Assuming all connectors are properly/completely soldered to the conductors/wires. I tried some practice joints, and crimped, then soldered the F connectors. So far all have tested as good...
Thanks in advance
 
Best of luck on your Bozaks

I had early Urbans and later these Centuries and they were awesome speakers
 
I'm about to jump into the 104T mod. Thankfully this thread still has tfunctional images.
At some point in the future, I imagine all remaining Bozaks will have the mod and updated caps.
 
Back
Top Bottom