• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Braun LV1020 3-way powered monitors!

Register to hide this ad
:tears::tears::sadwave: Not all iSOLDit's suck but, many are run by women and men who would chicken fry their grandparent's for a buck, THE worst shipper's on the planet for anything bulky/heavy. Only If I lived near the store would I consider these:yes:

This is a F'n shame, not something you see every day, and the shame of perfectly nice collectable gear that will most likely see the dump ofter it arrives in non-working order or worse, in pieces:tears::tears: cry'n shame!!

These will go for big buck's and worth it, someone here that's close and has the scratch will be very happy with this project:thmbsp:

Craig
edit: I just noticed the local pick up only( guess this is one of the better stores in the chain)
 
Last edited:
My old boss at ADS had a set and I heard them many times. In a word, they are spectacular. The electronics can be fussy but once sorted there are no surprises in them. Pretty straightforward late 60's solid-state tech applied to early 70's loudspeakers. With two sets of these likely going cheap the buyer is in a dream scenario. Two to use and two to use for spare parts. It just doesn't get any better when it comes to vintage gear.
 
I doubt the bidding will go too high here because of the local pickup and the condition. This may end up being a steal for someone local.
 
i have family in glen ellyn and would love to pick these up if the bidding stays low, but i'm wondering what kinds of problems the electronics would have. can someone explain the cords? i see it takes balanced inputs, but what's the deal with the male and female power taps? my german stops at conversation, unfortunately.
 
I'd like to get them as the drivers are worth it and I could put my pair of 1030 back in shape and restore a pair of the 1020s and have spare parts. Even if the amps are toast, a three-way crossover and the three Onkyo M-501 amps would be a nice group.

Unfortunately two of the M-501s are on the left coast but they were free, had a friend pick them up. I should do the same with these.
 
Wow, only $61!
Although there seems to be a lot of water damage, this could be the steal of the year.....:yes:
 
snagged for $61 but not by me, unfortunately. if i had waited just a few seconds longer before confirming my bid, they might be mine, but then again, you never know when your computer's going to hiccup and you need a couple extra seconds. oh well, QLS1's are enough of a project for now.
 
Some new AKer is gonna be posting about what to do with these, bet ya:yes: Nice score, simple SS amps with a very elaborate X/O, easy refoam,and cab/grill cloth restore. What a fun project!!
Craig
 
Holy crap, Glen Ellyn is literally right out my back door. Seriously, if I make a left out of the back entrance of my apartment building, the Glen Ellyn welcome sign is the first thing you see.

Too bad my college graduating self is still broke, broke, broke!
 
That was the eBay deal of the year. I have a pair of these speakers and they are fantastic. I absolutely love the sound. They sold for $1500 a pair in 1974 when they were introduced in the US. That's over $6,000 in today's money. They are designed so up to 20 pairs can be ganged together and driven by a single preamp. A set of four would make a wonderful basis for surround sound or a fantastic quad setup.

The cases are very high quality which means the water damage may be fixable. The foam can be easily replaced on the woofers. I really hope they wound up with an AK member rather than with someone that's going to part them out and flip them.

- Pete
 
darn, all this talk has me REALLY wishing i would've/could've gone higher, but i promised my wife i'd only do a snipe at around $50 - whoever won was "pretty handy with the steel, if you know what i mean."
 
I just found some of these, but only know what I've read about the here. Could have fussy electronics. These are said to need a re-foam job. He didn't say how much, but the other stuff he was selling was high-priced.

What's a fair price for these? I really like the aDS, ADS line of speakers and have a few pairs already AND I don't need these.

Edit; Got an email saying he's asking $450.....I'm gonna pass.
 
Most will need re-foam. That shouldn't scare you away but should drop the prices a good bit. How much are they worth? They typically don't bring big bucks. I paid $200 for mine a couple of years ago and have been using them ever since. The only trouble I've had was poor contact with the connector the amp chassis connects with.

- Pete
 
Edit; Got an email saying he's asking $450.....I'm gonna pass.

$450, probably OK on a mint working set. They certainly have $450 worth of sound quality. A set that is untouched however will need work sooner than later. The electronics aren't so much finicky as they are old. All the electrolytics should be replaced en masse or you'd be chasing them one at a time as they fail. Rest of the amp sections are pretty straightforward. Drivers are Braun not ADS but ADS can be used as substitutes (if you could find them. An L980 driver set could be modified to fit but no one in their right mind would do that.
 
Maybe to have them as a collector would be nice, but I've got a limited budget and limited room. I currently have aDS 400 (larger cab), ADS L710, L880 and L880/2 and L1290.

Other than the novelty of it all, would these LV-1020s sound much better or different? A re-foam alone is not too scary or expensive to have done; it's the rest of the ungrades that would be expensive (all caps as mentioned.) Supposed to be in "very good shape for their age, have been in storage for 5 years and worked when they went into storage." I don't know where "storage" was though.
 
Back
Top Bottom