• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Broken G33000 for $7500 ? worth it?

Register to hide this ad
One channel of the amp was supposedly out, and the fuse was blown. So, it could have blown outputs as well. But hey...it's the Holy Grail of the Sansui big G's...
 
I mean, it's probably not a horrible deal at that price, but I wouldn't bother. Working ones go in the 10-13k range as far as I know. $24k is not likely to have actually been a completed sale. If this were local to me, I would make an offer on it, since it never hurts, but my offer would be well under that price.
 
I mean, it's probably not a horrible deal at that price, but I wouldn't bother. Working ones go in the 10-13k range as far as I know. $24k is not likely to have actually been a completed sale. If this were local to me, I would make an offer on it, since it never hurts, but my offer would be well under that price.

I agree. Then puts some money into rehabbing it. In the end, you might come out with a very nice unit and be under current prices.
 
Well a G33000 does appear as a sold item for $24,999, however, I was unable to find any feedback left in connection with this [supposed] transaction. :idea:

It's difficult to imagine any receiver being worth that kind of money...

That is true. I don't believe that selling price without feedback.

The thing about the biggest receivers is the price far exceeds its performance but that does not account for the collector market. Same with cars, old very high performance cars are slow and don't handle well compared to a decent common vehicle made today but they have great collectibility. But that collectibility is for the units that have racing pedigree or are in excellent condition. This receiver has neither of those, provenance of prior ownership or spectacular condition.

Without some compelling reason to grab this one there isn't a great value there other than what one might be able to recover with a full restore and putting the unit in tip top shape. This makes it a calculated determination of what this one is worth and on the low end of working sold on ebay ain't my idea of value for a busted, parts missing unit.

Collectors want the best examples, those just wanting to claim owning a working unit will accept lower quality but this unit doesn't work.
 
The thing about the biggest receivers is the price far exceeds its performance but that does not account for the collector market.

Believe me I do get that - all of it.

I should have qualified my earlier comment by adding "this side of extraordinary circumstances".... I don't see that condition applies to the $24,999 eBay sale above, which I think we can all agree is questionable.
 
As much as I love the G33, for that kind of money and risk I'd pass.
If you were buying it to listen to there are far better ways to spend your money - if for collectability then it's already been butchered a bit and chances are you'd have to buy a G22 for some bits (which you could then get working in a non-stock form and sell).
His contention that there are perhaps a dozen of these left in the USA is not credible in my opinion.

As for me, I'll suffer with my G22000.
 
Probably a pass at half that cost.
It has to many issues, including unobtainable side panels.
Let him expend his time and money on it to get it fixed.
 
Back
Top Bottom