• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Budget Bookshelf Battle Coming Eventually To A Thread Near You

Thank you for the kind comment, Tim. You got it right.

However, there is some good news. As some AK subscribers know from my thread The Diet, I have experienced some marked improvement in strength, stamina, and mobility. When I posted that thread, I was very, very weak, and spent more time in the wheelchair. A slight adjustment in medication and nutrition supplement, in combo with buckling down on the diet - both required - resulted in an amazing difference comparing my state of health from Jan to today.

I had been dieting for years, losing about 25 lbs from a high just in excess of 280, down to 260 in January this year. Sick during the Christmas and New Year seasons, taking a shower exhausted me. Today I'm almost down to 215 lbs, and continue losing. Focusing on protein due to my illness. Legumes, meat and other animal products. Greens and veggies, which I love, keep it balanced, and I allow myself a small wasted-calorie junk food snack each day, sometimes two.

The bottom line is that I am walking with a walker or cane, now, no wheelchair for the last three or four weeks, when my nutrition and dietary efforts suddenly paid off and I found myself feeling virtually normal, though I'm not - I remain weak. But I'm walking more each day, and the leaner I get the better I can move, of course.

With Christine nearing retirement when I began this thread, I thought she'd have time to help with setup for this speaker shootout, but outdoor home improvement, requiring a lot of hard work on her part kept her extremely busy until three or four weeks ago, when she turned her efforts toward me. She's a slender, attractive and very healthy sexty-five-year old with an hour-glass figure, and has about worn me out with her frisky exercise plan... well, I'm a lucky man.

I still need to gain a bit more strength, and a lot more flexibility to set up this shootout on my own, but I'm now optimistic about getting there. My next goal, other than those daily ones for workout times and distances, is to walk with cane only by November 5, my next MD visit.

I still have all the speakers. I am very hopeful that I will return to this thread by winter - I hadn't forgotten it. We have Phase II of garden improvement and front curbside appeal beginning soon (Phase I was front and rear pergolas). A lot of dirt to be moved, retaining walls to be built, and drainage issues addressed - work too heavy for us. We have two designs/builds to decide between, bids from two of the better local landscaping companies. Only one bid design is ready for presentation, which will be Monday. I think I liked the other guy's ideas better, but we shall see when he presents his plan and the numbers.

Once that is completed, preparing the garden and plants for winter to be ready to grow next spring will keep us busy for awhile.

Thanks for the update! I was wondering where you've been, because I miss reading all of your creative posts. Be well and keep fighting the good fight. Report back when you have time.
 
we are pretty much the only mammals that drink it as adults, that must mean something

Yes, it means we can build dairies. Nature weans the young'uns, and that's that. :p

Given the option to only drink one liquid for all time, I'd go with milk over water or beer, or tea. Absolutely nothing better than an ice cold glass of milk, 2% or skim, please, and perhaps half a pb and j.
 
Yes, it means we can build dairies. Nature weans the young'uns, and that's that. :p

Given the option to only drink one liquid for all time, I'd go with milk over water or beer, or tea. Absolutely nothing better than an ice cold glass of milk, 2% or skim, please, and perhaps half a pb and j.

In order of quantity consumed daily I do water, vodka & herbal tea/wine/beer and coffee. About 120 ozs of water a day (can be more, depends and sweat levels), 2-3 cocktails and 12oz of coffee in the morning. Really don't drink much else, have always been a water first drinker.

Edit: I guess the alcohol measure would really only be 4-6oz unless its wine or beer
 
Last edited:
In order of quantity consumed daily I do water, vodka & herbal tea/wine/beer and coffee. About 120 ozs of water a day (can be more, depends and sweat levels), 2-3 cocktails and 12oz of coffee in the morning. Really don't drink much else, have always been a water first drinker.

Edit: I guess the alcohol measure would really only be 4-6oz unless its wine or beer

While sorta off-topic (sorry) I do need to mention that with this level of water intake, you'd be urinating much, and likely losing B vitamins in vast quantities. Might want to supplement with a nice B complex.

Drinking gobs and gobs of water is just as bad as running slightly dehydrated. It throws off electrolyte balance and causes unnecessary strain on the kidneys and ureters. I think GChief is fine with his amount, but I read about people drinking far more than even this (which is on the higher side).

Okay, back to Hal getting better and reviewing my beloved Zeros.
 
While sorta off-topic (sorry) I do need to mention that with this level of water intake, you'd be urinating much, and likely losing B vitamins in vast quantities. Might want to supplement with a nice B complex.

Drinking gobs and gobs of water is just as bad as running slightly dehydrated. It throws off electrolyte balance and causes unnecessary strain on the kidneys and ureters. I think GChief is fine with his amount, but I read about people drinking far more than even this (which is on the higher side).

Okay, back to Hal getting better and reviewing my beloved Zeros.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Had all those discussions with the Doc's :D. Plus I sweat my ass off on the regular, just how it is.

Edit: and @ 54 I pee less often then most the old dudes I work with :rolleyes:
 
Thank you for the kind comment, Tim. You got it right.

However, there is some good news. As some AK subscribers know from my thread The Diet, I have experienced some marked improvement in strength, stamina, and mobility. When I posted that thread, I was very, very weak, and spent more time in the wheelchair. A slight adjustment in medication and nutrition supplement, in combo with buckling down on the diet - both required - resulted in an amazing difference comparing my state of health from Jan to today.

I had been dieting for years, losing about 25 lbs from a high just in excess of 280, down to 260 in January this year. Sick during the Christmas and New Year seasons, taking a shower exhausted me. Today I'm almost down to 215 lbs, and continue losing. Focusing on protein due to my illness. Legumes, meat and other animal products. Greens and veggies, which I love, keep it balanced, and I allow myself a small wasted-calorie junk food snack each day, sometimes two.

The bottom line is that I am walking with a walker or cane, now, no wheelchair for the last three or four weeks, when my nutrition and dietary efforts suddenly paid off and I found myself feeling virtually normal, though I'm not - I remain weak. But I'm walking more each day, and the leaner I get the better I can move, of course.

With Christine nearing retirement when I began this thread, I thought she'd have time to help with setup for this speaker shootout, but outdoor home improvement, requiring a lot of hard work on her part kept her extremely busy until three or four weeks ago, when she turned her efforts toward me. She's a slender, attractive and very healthy sexty-five-year old with an hour-glass figure, and has about worn me out with her frisky exercise plan... well, I'm a lucky man.

I still need to gain a bit more strength, and a lot more flexibility to set up this shootout on my own, but I'm now optimistic about getting there. My next goal, other than those daily ones for workout times and distances, is to walk with cane only by November 5, my next MD visit.

I still have all the speakers. I am very hopeful that I will return to this thread by winter - I hadn't forgotten it. We have Phase II of garden improvement and front curbside appeal beginning soon (Phase I was front and rear pergolas). A lot of dirt to be moved, retaining walls to be built, and drainage issues addressed - work too heavy for us. We have two designs/builds to decide between, bids from two of the better local landscaping companies. Only one bid design is ready for presentation, which will be Monday. I think I liked the other guy's ideas better, but we shall see when he presents his plan and the numbers.

Once that is completed, preparing the garden and plants for winter to be ready to grow next spring will keep us busy for awhile.
:):bye::hug:
 
Back
Top Bottom