• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Budget Bookshelf Battle Coming Eventually To A Thread Near You

If I had to guess, our friend musichal has good days and bad days, and mobility is limited. Likely other things in life have popped up.

I always enjoy his comments, hopefully he's feeling well, and can soon return to this thread. Wishing you well, buddy!!
​

Thank you for the kind comment, Tim. You got it right.

However, there is some good news. As some AK subscribers know from my thread The Diet, I have experienced some marked improvement in strength, stamina, and mobility. When I posted that thread, I was very, very weak, and spent more time in the wheelchair. A slight adjustment in medication and nutrition supplement, in combo with buckling down on the diet - both required - resulted in an amazing difference comparing my state of health from Jan to today.

I had been dieting for years, losing about 25 lbs from a high just in excess of 280, down to 260 in January this year. Sick during the Christmas and New Year seasons, taking a shower exhausted me. Today I'm almost down to 215 lbs, and continue losing. Focusing on protein due to my illness. Legumes, meat and other animal products. Greens and veggies, which I love, keep it balanced, and I allow myself a small wasted-calorie junk food snack each day, sometimes two.

The bottom line is that I am walking with a walker or cane, now, no wheelchair for the last three or four weeks, when my nutrition and dietary efforts suddenly paid off and I found myself feeling virtually normal, though I'm not - I remain weak. But I'm walking more each day, and the leaner I get the better I can move, of course.

With Christine nearing retirement when I began this thread, I thought she'd have time to help with setup for this speaker shootout, but outdoor home improvement, requiring a lot of hard work on her part kept her extremely busy until three or four weeks ago, when she turned her efforts toward me. She's a slender, attractive and very healthy sexty-five-year old with an hour-glass figure, and has about worn me out with her frisky exercise plan... well, I'm a lucky man.

I still need to gain a bit more strength, and a lot more flexibility to set up this shootout on my own, but I'm now optimistic about getting there. My next goal, other than those daily ones for workout times and distances, is to walk with cane only by November 5, my next MD visit.

I still have all the speakers. I am very hopeful that I will return to this thread by winter - I hadn't forgotten it. We have Phase II of garden improvement and front curbside appeal beginning soon (Phase I was front and rear pergolas). A lot of dirt to be moved, retaining walls to be built, and drainage issues addressed - work too heavy for us. We have two designs/builds to decide between, bids from two of the better local landscaping companies. Only one bid design is ready for presentation, which will be Monday. I think I liked the other guy's ideas better, but we shall see when he presents his plan and the numbers.

Once that is completed, preparing the garden and plants for winter to be ready to grow next spring will keep us busy for awhile.
 
Last edited:
Speaking as a diabetic I can say for sure, CARBS ARE THE DEVIL. In the 60s, sugar companies paid for "studies" that showed fat was the enemy and carbs were just fine......and it doomed a generation to eating chemical filled **** like margarine and calling it "healthy" and saying that anything that was fat free was fine to consume in any quantity.

It took me a long time to re learn to eat anything I wanted, just in the proper quantity.
 
Speaking as a diabetic I can say for sure, CARBS ARE THE DEVIL. In the 60s, sugar companies paid for "studies" that showed fat was the enemy and carbs were just fine......and it doomed a generation to eating chemical filled **** like margarine and calling it "healthy" and saying that anything that was fat free was fine to consume in any quantity.

It took me a long time to re learn to eat anything I wanted, just in the proper quantity.

QFT... it still amazes me how many people still don't understand how much we where manipulated, or is it they don't want to admit they where :dunno:

Edit: Something I hear from my fellow old eff'ers at work daily, "it says natural on the package" :confused:
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the update. Glad to hear you are doing so well. It is a good motivation and inspiration for those of us who could eat better and do better. Also, sounds like Christine is a great influence in your life. I am happy for you.
 
Speaking as a diabetic I can say for sure, CARBS ARE THE DEVIL. In the 60s, sugar companies paid for "studies" that showed fat was the enemy and carbs were just fine......and it doomed a generation to eating chemical filled **** like margarine and calling it "healthy" and saying that anything that was fat free was fine to consume in any quantity.

It took me a long time to re learn to eat anything I wanted, just in the proper quantity.
Diabetes sucks! :thumbsdown:
 
QFT... it still amazes me how many people still don't understand how much we where manipulated, or is it they don't want to admit they where :dunno:

Edit: Something I hear from my fellow old eff'ers at work daily, "it says natural on the package" :confused:

Like the idiots eating the fake meat and thinking it is more healthy than regular meat.....or the almond "milk". You know almond milk is fake because almonds dont have tits!
 
Like the idiots eating the fake meat and thinking it is more healthy than regular meat.....or the almond "milk". You know almond milk is fake because almonds dont have tits!

I didn't mean that stuff ;) I do that sometimes :rolleyes:

Edit: I don't really do milk, I figure we are pretty much the only mammals that drink it as adults, that must mean something :beatnik:
 
I didn't mean that stuff ;) I do that sometimes :rolleyes:

Edit: I don't really do milk, I figure we are pretty much the only mammals that drink it as adults, that must mean something :beatnik:

I am not a milk fan...of either the tit or non tit variety.
 
Like the idiots eating the fake meat and thinking it is more healthy than regular meat.....or the almond "milk". You know almond milk is fake because almonds dont have tits!
Hey! I like fake meat and almond milk. Not because it's healthy, but because it's tasty and there's no gristle. I don't like gristle. That and real milk makes me fart pretty much continuously...
 
Hey! I like fake meat and almond milk. Not because it's healthy, but because it's tasty and there's no gristle. I don't like gristle. That and real milk makes me fart pretty much continuously...

If you are eating meat with gristle then you need a LOT better grade of beef.
 
Musichal, you and I have been fighting the mobility and pain battle for some time now. As we get older, things don’t get better and our calendar is filled with doctor appointments! Kathleen and I are in our 70’s and 80’s, and getting things done ain’t easy, but we are still getting through the day.

As I write this, Kathleen is visiting a doctor for a checkup and after lunch I will be going out get blood taken.

And this why bookshelf speakers are important! You have to be able to do what you want, when you want without busting your rear. I am now adding three speakers to the fray...The Dayton audio B652Air, the Pioneer SP BS22 LR, and the KEF Q300. I own all three and they all please me greatly. . I am listening to pop/jazz in my living room with the recliner extended and it is sweet! OK got to go now and make some sandwiches for when Kathleen gets back for lunch and then it’s my turn
 
If you are eating meat with gristle then you need a LOT better grade of beef.
I was thinking of sausages.

Beef. Having gone from birth to my mid 40's treating "food" and "beef" as synonyms, I grew bored of it. I've subsequently discovered a previously untapped glory of seafood, a world of vegetables other than carrots, beets & peas, all manner of fishes, and -- yes -- meat substitutes like facon, veef, pulled vork, etc. Tasty. *burp*
 
Back
Top Bottom