• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Budget Bookshelf Speaker Survey

Different budgets....

Nice review and pics of some more modern gear out there. I just have benefitted from living on a different budget for the last year. Of course none of my speakers would fit on those stands....... :D

Dynaco A-25's $20
Large Advents $25
KLH 17's - $10
Genesis I's -$8
 
Nice review and pics of some more modern gear out there. I just have benefitted from living on a different budget for the last year. Of course none of my speakers would fit on those stands....... :D

Dynaco A-25's $20
Large Advents $25
KLH 17's - $10
Genesis I's -$8

That's OK I have 5 sets of stands...at least one of them would work...:thmbsp:
 
Very nice review, Art.

I know it's apples and oranges, but how do the small bookshelfs stand up to your big Regas, particulalry in the PRaT department? I'm not suggesting a full blown test but would appreciate some general impressions.

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Very nice review, Art.

I know it's apples and oranges, but how do the small bookshelfs stand up to your b
big Regas, particulalry in the PRaT department? I'm not suggesting a full blown test but would appreciate some general impressions.

Thanks.

As you own Rega speakers you will know what I mean when I say that no other speaker in the survery had their organic and lean sound. Rega's excel with stringed instruments and a full Rega system enhances that even further. In that sense the Rega's had one advantage...being played in an all Rega system.

That said the Epos is a PRaTmaster as well. Pacey as hell, just a driven little speaker that makes ya want to dance. Not as organic an approach to timbre as the Rega's or the Wharfedales. The Wharfedales aren't as fast as the other 2 speakers but they excel at timbre and getting the overall sense of the music right...better balanced approach than any of my other speakers.

The Primus isn't quite as pacey but it isn't slow by any means...it does lack enough lower midrange to feel that it isn't quite as rhythmic as previously mentioned speakers..this is indeed a minor niggle at the price point. The timbre is very good with the Infinity, not quite as good as the Wharfdale, Epos and Rega but with a tube amp the Primus is so detailed and balanced that it would likely shine beautifully. Killer speaker for what amounts to mere nickels.

The Beta 20 is a big speaker and built like a tank. It also has a metal front grill which makes it a good recommendation for someone who has never owned a decent system and who has kids...otherwise it isn't in the same league with the other speakers mentioned here.
 
Last edited:
That's OK I have 5 sets of stands...at least one of them would work...:thmbsp:

Well I am in Portland this week on business so if you want to drop off a pair let me know....... :D

In all seriousness, a great review and it sounds like you have some nice speakers there to chose from.
 
Good review, though I'm surprised the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 beat out the Epos ELS3. The Epos seem to be raved about everywhere yet the Diamonds don't have so many reviews. Maybe this has changed, I haven't been looking too closely at budget speakers after I bought mine about 2 years ago. (I'd love to get my hands on some Epos M5's btw).

Both the Epos and Wharfedales were compared in a Stereophile review to another perhaps unknown but very good choice (and the ones I went with): Usher Audio S-520's. The summary of the comparison was that the Wharfedales had more detail in the mids and highs than the 520's, but were not as neutral--being warmer in the mids and upper bass, and the Epos were also more detailed in the highs and mids, were slightly less warm, and had more "ambience" than the 520's, but compressed on dynamic passages some. All were good iow, depending on what sound you are/were looking for. (And this is just but one reviewer's opinion of course).

The Ushers might not be so "budget" now though, they are up to $479 plus shipping. But back when I bought them they were $330 plus shipping, so I got them for around $350. After they got rave reviews the price went up. :no: But you can get used ones for the price I paid, and sometimes new ones in an "off" color (they come in 7 finishes, mine are piano black and gorgeous imo).

There are lots of great professional reviews of these guys so I'll just say that in general the fit and finish of these things is amazing, and the sound even more so. They are neutral leaning to bright, just what I like. :thmbsp: I'd say mostly neutral though, accurate, non-colored. So as they are revealing/transparent, they will bring out the worst in bad components and recordings, but the best in good components and recordings as well. They do everything well (of all those measures speakers are judged by, too numerous to mention here) and truly do put out a sound stage that's much "bigger" than their size. You won't get a concert hall effect with them, but you'll come fairly close, especially in a smaller room and with a sub (I got an Outlaw Audio LFM-2 I use with them, well, sometimes, they do just fine on their own!). Amazing for their diminutive size (although they are pretty deep). They can crank too despite their 86db sensitivity, although I've been driving them with mostly 70/80 wpc amps. I have yet to get them to break up, even at screaming loud levels (I'm talking were after listening for a bit my ears will literally ring after I turn down the volume lol. I don't do this too often thank goodness).

So that would be my little recommendation, search around and you can find tons of reviews of them, at least professional ones, in which in this case I'd say they were exactly right!

PS: The budget (under $500 tops) monitor speaker category literally has dozens of excellent choices these days. And that's just with new speakers. If you are willing to buy used then good luck trying to choose! lol
 
Thanks for adding that nice write up. The Usher S520 really is a fine speaker. I've had the privelege of listening to them and just handling them. As you said they have extraordinary build quality...and as we've both said there are just a bunch of great sounding speakers in the budget category now.
 
Well I am in Portland this week on business so if you want to drop off a pair let me know....... :D

In all seriousness, a great review and it sounds like you have some nice speakers there to chose from.

Next time you are in the area PM me and come on down for a visit...no stands though...lol!
 
I have a pair of Warfedale diamon 8.2 powered speakers, and I must agree that they have a very balanced sound with a great timbre.
they image well, and have a fair soundstage.

picked them up for 70$CAD last year.

I use em mainly for video editing.
 
Art have you ever heard Audio Note K's before?
I would like to find a nice 90db or better pair book shelf speakers.
Something better than the mission 762i's I have now.
Any suggestions?
 
Last edited:
Art have you ever heard Audio Note K's before?
I would like to find a nice 90db or better pair book shelf speakers.
Something better than the mission 762i's I have now.
Any suggestions?

I have not heard that speaker but am a huge fan of Audio Note systems, wonderfully musical.
 
Great review Art K.

Snade: I would agree good modern budget speakers have more detail than the A25 but the Dynaco's strength is that they sound musical with almost any recording or associated equipment.

I haven't yet found anything modern that compares in value to my:
Fried Model R IIi $100
Epos ES-11 $200
 
Snade: I would agree good modern budget speakers have more detail than the A25 but the Dynaco's strength is that they sound musical with almost any recording or associated equipment.

Fair enough, I'd probably agree with you.

My A25's need some work, so I'm not giving them justice in a side by side comparison.

Cheers, Snade
 
Thanks for adding that nice write up. The Usher S520 really is a fine speaker. I've had the privelege of listening to them and just handling them. As you said they have extraordinary build quality...and as we've both said there are just a bunch of great sounding speakers in the budget category now.

You're welcome, I was hoping I wasn't imposing on your thread!

But I felt compelled to give a recommendation for my Usher S-520's, since I for one just love them! :music:

There are literally at least a couple dozen speakers I could list that can be had for around $300, $500 tops, new. Add used speakers to the list and there are dozens. The budget speaker market really seems to be full of great deals these days, probably more than at any other time. Since the early 2000's technology and ID stores have combined to make affordable hi-fi sound available to the average consumer. It's truly an exciting time for the monitor speaker market, I wish I could try dozens of them myself! :D
 
This review was a nice read. I bought the Primus 150s a few years ago on closeout for under $100 (same as the 152s but with black grills). One of the better bargains in audio. At that time I also picked up their smaller siblings (the 140s) for surrounds. The kids now use the 140s w/vintage amps, they make for great small systems.

Note to self: Need to try a T-amp someday
 
I've never heard the speakers in this thread but I have a pair of Infinity P162 that would qualify for the bookshelf showdown. Compared to the P152 they bring the bottom down from 58Hz to 49Hz and can handle 150w instead of 100w. They sound very, very good and my only complaint about them is that sometimes they sound "small". The fact that they ARE small makes that forgivable to me, They cost me $120 for the pair through the ebay site of the Harmon Group as factory refurbished. I don't think they are letting them go for that cheap anymore.

Here is a glowing review from Stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1007inf/
 
Back
Top Bottom