• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Burhoe Crimsons - WOW!

If those Burhoes have film caps they may be just fine. Not sure the age on those - 80s, 90s? - if there are electrolytics those might be ready for replacement by now.
 
I am debating if I should recap them. They sound really good as is, but maybe recap will make them sound even better? On the other hand, maybe I should keep them all original? Any thoughts?

Yes. My model 20's made a significant leap forward after going with Huw Powell's caps.

If you recap them, unsolder the old caps rather than cut them out, and hang onto them until you are sure the new ones are an improvement. Which may take a fair while, since initially all we hear are the differences that are obvious, and sometimes it's only later, after the thrill of newness is gone, and we stop focusing on the specific improvements that we hear the less pleasing aspects of the change.

Not a bad idea. Might be good caps in there already.

If those Burhoes have film caps they may be just fine. Not sure the age on those - 80s, 90s? - if there are electrolytics those might be ready for replacement by now.

Exactly. Electrolytics would benefit from an upgrade. Film/poly not so much.
 
Never heard of Crimsons. They seem very well built. I have a pair of Blues, which are excellent speakers. I also have a complete extra set of Burhoe mid tweeters and high tweeters. I'm looking at building a set of super Burhoes using all the components in larger box. Then again, it may be overkill. I haven't decided as of yet.
 
Sure not the prettiest speakers, how do they compare with ur heresies?

Well, thet are really different speakers to compare. One thing that is similar - clarity, both can deliver great detail in different instruments/voices.
 
Recently bought a pair of Burhoe White's. They were just refoamed. Cabinets were in excellent condition...I didn't need them, but I had to grab em.

My very first pair of speakers were EPI M50's - designed by Winslow Burhoe and had his inverted tweeter. They were giant killers.

I noticed that Mr Burhoe was still alive. I messaged him through Linkedin. I told him I had come full circle with his speakers.... from 1974 to 2023.

He actually wrote me back...I guess he thought that was pretty cool.

Legendary designer for those who don't know. He founded EPI ...at their height EPI was selling 4000 speakers a week.

The White's sounded their best with lots of power. With my Nad C372 they were impressive. Perhaps better than my much newer Paradigm Studio 40's. Better HF for sure.
 
I have a pair of Burhoe designed Silent Speakers here that I was gifted by a cousin who lived in Cambridge, MA and knew him. I’ve never seen another pair and they sound quite nice, so while they didn’t dethrone my A7s, they have a seat on the bench as my feelings about them are room dependent, and I’ll keep them until we relocate and thin the herd at the new place, whenever that may be.

Mine in the family room a few years back.

F1D2A641-FF05-4150-9BDC-2A9E60BEE622.jpeg
 
Last edited:
As an addition to an old thread, here's my $5 flea mkt hit from a few years ago. Had to arrange a trip to the seller's residence, about 30 mile round trip for the foam covers. These are above my work/ fartin'-around desk for testing or impromptu jammin' out. Usually I have a dynaco sca-80Q integrated amp running them, sound damn good, bigger sound than you'd expect from such little guys. I do have to watch the throttle & bass settings, along with being sure not to switch input selector etc with volume up- easy to get BAD woofer slap, likely on account of the replacement woofers I installed, the cones are quite loosely- suspended. That being said, these little beaters aren't going anywhere anytime soon!
 

Attachments

  • 20230320_150027.jpg
    20230320_150027.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230320_145957.jpg
    20230320_145957.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230320_145936.jpg
    20230320_145936.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230320_145917.jpg
    20230320_145917.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom