• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Burson Audio V6 Vivid Opamps review: “Put some smack in yer DAC!!!”

lattiboy

Well-Known Member
Note: I was sent this opamp by Burson. All I was asked for was an "honest review" posted on one of the sites I'm a regular on, no strings attached. I'm not a paid reviewer and I will be honest in my "value" section below. Just want to be upfront! Feel free to call me a shill!

I’ve never built an amp, never CNC’d enclosures, never studied an electrical layout.... frankly I never wanted to. I know myself well enough that dipping my toe into this will have a negative impact on myself and those around me. I obsess. I research. I read every possible article and post and review and video about any product I'm serious about buying. Having an endless sea of weird audio devices available to me for cheap is a poor idea.

Unfortunately, when looking around for a new DAC I stumbled upon this four-year long thread about the Maverick Audio Tube Magic DACs. Reading through it and having people I know are familiar with extremely high end equipment say the Maverick stuff operated at a level many, many times above its low price point.... well..... THAT'S. MY. FETISH!

Alas, I'm an idiot. I purchased the OEM version XiangSheng DAC-01B instead of the DAC01A. I paid $80 shipped for the thing, but it doesn't have any tube section. Other than that, it seems almost identical to the Maverick Audio D1.

Many people in the thread mentioned switching out the opamps with a boutique number from Sparkos Labs or Burson Audio. Being honest, I could not with any confidence tell you what makes an opamp "good". I just shook my head and smiled and through a series of unexpected forum messages and ended up with a package from china containing some of the Burson Audio V6 Vivids. I read their site and it's full of numbers and charts and all sorts of very impressive sounding nerdy ****! They seem like they know what they're doing! Probably?!?!?!

Relevant Equipment Ownership:

I have been using a Musical Fidelity vDAC for the past few months. Before that I had an Oppo BDP-103. I've also played around with the internal DAC of my Denon 3500H and the ChromeCast Audio 3.5mm output. I use a SMSL M6 at work as a headphone amp/usb DAC.

Listening setup:

Listening space is a converted garage about 24x25 with wall-to-wall carpeting and 10 foot ceilings. I have a huge leather couch, a 120” projector screen and canvas art all over the walls, otherwise untreated.

Speakers are Monitor Audio RS6 Silvers being driven with a Crown xti-2000 power amplifier fed through a Denon 3500H (all dsp disabled) fed with a XiangSheng DAC-01B (upgraded Burson opamps) playing Tidal HiFi via optical through a Chromecast Audio. Also, played some FLAC files from my Plex server and listened to some podcasts through the CCA. Only used optical input, not USB or coax.

Listening notes:

1) I listened to the "stock" Xian Sheng for a few weeks before upgrading to the Burson DACs so I had a pretty good baseline with identical equipment in an identical room. I already thought the Xian Sheng was a great DAC. I allowed the Bursons 20 hours of "break-in" time over 2 days.

2) IMAGING! My lord the difference in imaging was such that I thought I had Dolby upmixing on and my center channel was going! I got up off the couch 2 or 3 times over the next week to confirm my center channel speaker wasn't playing. Again, the setup was completely unchanged except for the Burson. Speakers didn't move, amp didn't change, source and methods identical.

3) Instrument separation and soundstage was improved, but not like the imaging.

4) Acoustic stuff did sound more pleasing to me. Call it "warmth" or "musicality" or whatever, but listening to "7 Years" by Nora Jones (a song I've heard countless times and whose intro is a great reference bit) was markedly improved enough for me to note it with an underline.

5) Detail at the extremes was maybe a touch better? Getting into psychoacoustic **** now.

6) Bass was tighter and better defined. My absolute torture track for this is Adam Ben Ezra - Balagusto. Check it out and see why! Also, the track f'in slaps (literally)!

Value:

As stated above, I got this for free. Normally, the V6 Vivids run about $60-70 a piece for the "dual" model. Some DACs (like the Maverick D2) require THREE of these opamps if you want all your ins and outs to be upgraded. That is significantly more than the cost of the D2 itself!

However, many people only use 1 of their outputs on the Maverick Audio stuff, so you could add a single Burson to the D1+ and get all the benefits. The DAC-01B I got only has 1 opamp spot because it only has the SS output. In this case, I would say $70 is absolutely a no-brainer. If you're even curious go for it. I was pretty floored at the difference.

I think there is a point where modifying low-cost pieces of gear becomes more about fun than about improvements in sound. There's nothing wrong with that! I personally think getting 1 or (maybe) 2 of the Bursons and a D1+ or D2 is a great deal. I think when you get up to 3 or more you need to consider your base piece of equipment and see if you can find something on the used market that is "stock" as good as the modded Maverick Stuff.

Playlist of all the music I use to review gear. Big ol' playlist that's updated regularly:

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/6c1057f4-e749-488a-8f25-472686dc0609
 
Register to hide this ad
I totally glossed over the install of these things as with most devices you'd use these in it's about as complicated as removing and inserting a stick of ram. Took literally 2 minutes to move some wires and seat the Burson.
 
Note: I was sent this opamp by Burson. All I was asked for was an "honest review" posted on one of the sites I'm a regular on, no strings attached. I'm not a paid reviewer and I will be honest in my "value" section below. Just want to be upfront! Feel free to call me a shill!

I’ve never built an amp, never CNC’d enclosures, never studied an electrical layout.... frankly I never wanted to. I know myself well enough that dipping my toe into this will have a negative impact on myself and those around me. I obsess. I research. I read every possible article and post and review and video about any product I'm serious about buying. Having an endless sea of weird audio devices available to me for cheap is a poor idea.

Unfortunately, when looking around for a new DAC I stumbled upon this four-year long thread about the Maverick Audio Tube Magic DACs. Reading through it and having people I know are familiar with extremely high end equipment say the Maverick stuff operated at a level many, many times above its low price point.... well..... THAT'S. MY. FETISH!

Alas, I'm an idiot. I purchased the OEM version XiangSheng DAC-01B instead of the DAC01A. I paid $80 shipped for the thing, but it doesn't have any tube section. Other than that, it seems almost identical to the Maverick Audio D1.

Many people in the thread mentioned switching out the opamps with a boutique number from Sparkos Labs or Burson Audio. Being honest, I could not with any confidence tell you what makes an opamp "good". I just shook my head and smiled and through a series of unexpected forum messages and ended up with a package from china containing some of the Burson Audio V6 Vivids. I read their site and it's full of numbers and charts and all sorts of very impressive sounding nerdy ****! They seem like they know what they're doing! Probably?!?!?!

Relevant Equipment Ownership:

I have been using a Musical Fidelity vDAC for the past few months. Before that I had an Oppo BDP-103. I've also played around with the internal DAC of my Denon 3500H and the ChromeCast Audio 3.5mm output. I use a SMSL M6 at work as a headphone amp/usb DAC.

Listening setup:

Listening space is a converted garage about 24x25 with wall-to-wall carpeting and 10 foot ceilings. I have a huge leather couch, a 120” projector screen and canvas art all over the walls, otherwise untreated.

Speakers are Monitor Audio RS6 Silvers being driven with a Crown xti-2000 power amplifier fed through a Denon 3500H (all dsp disabled) fed with a XiangSheng DAC-01B (upgraded Burson opamps) playing Tidal HiFi via optical through a Chromecast Audio. Also, played some FLAC files from my Plex server and listened to some podcasts through the CCA. Only used optical input, not USB or coax.

Listening notes:

1) I listened to the "stock" Xian Sheng for a few weeks before upgrading to the Burson DACs so I had a pretty good baseline with identical equipment in an identical room. I already thought the Xian Sheng was a great DAC. I allowed the Bursons 20 hours of "break-in" time over 2 days.

2) IMAGING! My lord the difference in imaging was such that I thought I had Dolby upmixing on and my center channel was going! I got up off the couch 2 or 3 times over the next week to confirm my center channel speaker wasn't playing. Again, the setup was completely unchanged except for the Burson. Speakers didn't move, amp didn't change, source and methods identical.

3) Instrument separation and soundstage was improved, but not like the imaging.

4) Acoustic stuff did sound more pleasing to me. Call it "warmth" or "musicality" or whatever, but listening to "7 Years" by Nora Jones (a song I've heard countless times and whose intro is a great reference bit) was markedly improved enough for me to note it with an underline.

5) Detail at the extremes was maybe a touch better? Getting into psychoacoustic **** now.

6) Bass was tighter and better defined. My absolute torture track for this is Adam Ben Ezra - Balagusto. Check it out and see why! Also, the track f'in slaps (literally)!

Value:

As stated above, I got this for free. Normally, the V6 Vivids run about $60-70 a piece for the "dual" model. Some DACs (like the Maverick D2) require THREE of these opamps if you want all your ins and outs to be upgraded. That is significantly more than the cost of the D2 itself!

However, many people only use 1 of their outputs on the Maverick Audio stuff, so you could add a single Burson to the D1+ and get all the benefits. The DAC-01B I got only has 1 opamp spot because it only has the SS output. In this case, I would say $70 is absolutely a no-brainer. If you're even curious go for it. I was pretty floored at the difference.

I think there is a point where modifying low-cost pieces of gear becomes more about fun than about improvements in sound. There's nothing wrong with that! I personally think getting 1 or (maybe) 2 of the Bursons and a D1+ or D2 is a great deal. I think when you get up to 3 or more you need to consider your base piece of equipment and see if you can find something on the used market that is "stock" as good as the modded Maverick Stuff.

Playlist of all the music I use to review gear. Big ol' playlist that's updated regularly:

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/6c1057f4-e749-488a-8f25-472686dc0609
I wish Burson would offer to let me have some of their opamps.
I would give them the most honest review that they have ever had- and a (almost) full set of specs for their parts as well- something they just do not publish.
I was able to obtain some of their early parts and they measured poorly and degraded the distortion/frequency response of a RIAA stage that I designed.
How did you get them to send you some parts?
 
I'd like to read a comparison of the Burson devices and some of the Chinese made Op-amp replacements sold on E bay. I have a couple of the eBay ones but honestly have not had the time to install them in anything.
 
I'd like to read a comparison of the Burson devices and some of the Chinese made Op-amp replacements sold on E bay. I have a couple of the eBay ones but honestly have not had the time to install them in anything.
I won't buy them, but if someone is willing to lend them to me I'll do a full tear down.
 
I wish Burson would offer to let me have some of their opamps.
I would give them the most honest review that they have ever had- and a (almost) full set of specs for their parts as well- something they just do not publish.
I was able to obtain some of their early parts and they measured poorly and degraded the distortion/frequency response of a RIAA stage that I designed.
How did you get them to send you some parts?

When I mentioned I was looking at maybe getting them on here an AKer gave me contact info for somebody there. They said they wanted people to test out their product and give an honest review.

I cannot vouch for any other product, but for the Maverick / Xiang Sheng stuff they (and apparently Sparkos) make a big difference.

I agree the price is high for what it is and if you can recommend me a very cheap alternative I will buy it today and do a little side by side at some point in the future.
 
When I mentioned I was looking at maybe getting them on here an AKer gave me contact info for somebody there. They said they wanted people to test out their product and give an honest review.

I cannot vouch for any other product, but for the Maverick / Xiang Sheng stuff they (and apparently Sparkos) make a big difference.

I agree the price is high for what it is and if you can recommend me a very cheap alternative I will buy it today and do a little side by side at some point in the future.
The Sparkos opamps do have specs. They are singularly unimpressive, in my estimation.
Opamps need to be selected with a particular application environment in mind. I cannot make recommendations without this knowledge.
A few months ago I initiated a DIY phono stage/preamp design which actually made these choices. Perhaps you should investigate it.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...d-preamp-for-low-output-mc-cartridges.879145/
 
The Sparkos opamps do have specs. They are singularly unimpressive, in my estimation.
Opamps need to be selected with a particular application environment in mind. I cannot make recommendations without this knowledge.
A few months ago I initiated a DIY phono stage/preamp design which actually made these choices. Perhaps you should investigate it.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...d-preamp-for-low-output-mc-cartridges.879145/

Fair enough.

Interestingly, Maverick does offer an op amp upgraded version of their product with the “opa627” installed. I’ve got a D1+ on order with these in there and will be listening with them and then with the Bursons. Is that a good comparison to do?
 
Fair enough.

Interestingly, Maverick does offer an op amp upgraded version of their product with the “opa627” installed. I’ve got a D1+ on order with these in there and will be listening with them and then with the Bursons. Is that a good comparison to do?
Perhaps. I've no idea what the Bursons specs are- it's apparently a closely guarded secret- so I cannot comment.
 
Fair enough.

Interestingly, Maverick does offer an op amp upgraded version of their product with the “opa627” installed. I’ve got a D1+ on order with these in there and will be listening with them and then with the Bursons. Is that a good comparison to do?
You could try an OPA1641. In some ways worse than an OPA627. Lower slew rate, somewhat lower Gain Bandwidth Product almost identical noise, worse offset, slightly worse harmonic distortion- but nothing that should be important, depending on application. The OPA1641 is also specified to behave extremely well under circumstances where many opamps- including the Burson I evaluated- do very poorly- non inverting with a relatively high source impedance. The OPA627 does not seem to be specified under those circumstances.
The details of the OPA627 and OPA1641 architectures are not sufficiently specified for me to pass comment on differences.
 
You could try an OPA1641. In some ways worse than an OPA627. Lower slew rate, somewhat lower Gain Bandwidth Product almost identical noise, worse offset, slightly worse harmonic distortion- but nothing that should be important, depending on application. The OPA1641 is also specified to behave extremely well under circumstances where many opamps- including the Burson I evaluated- do very poorly- non inverting with a relatively high source impedance. The OPA627 does not seem to be specified under those circumstances.
The details of the OPA627 and OPA1641 architectures are not sufficiently specified for me to pass comment on differences.

I had this saved in my cart. It was mentioned in passing in the Maverick mega thread:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252603693880
 
OK... I don't even understand what this "opamp" thing does...? Does it somehow run in conjunction with a DAC... or is it part of the DAC that get's swapped out (a mod)? I'm just not at all clear on the purpose of this thing and where it goes in the signal chain...

Other than the imaging (which is really important, no doubt!) is there any other changes to the sound? Does it make sound from digital sources a bit more like analog (less metallic on the treble, less clinical)?
 
OK... I don't even understand what this "opamp" thing does...? Does it somehow run in conjunction with a DAC... or is it part of the DAC that get's swapped out (a mod)? I'm just not at all clear on the purpose of this thing and where it goes in the signal chain...

Other than the imaging (which is really important, no doubt!) is there any other changes to the sound? Does it make sound from digital sources a bit more like analog (less metallic on the treble, less clinical)?

I'll demure to more technical folks about the opamp function, but if you put a gun to my head it does make things seems slightly less thin. I wouldn't say "analog", but "more full". I really do try to avoid analog v digital because I don't particularly like vinyl and never thought it was worth the hassle.
 
I had this saved in my cart. It was mentioned in passing in the Maverick mega thread:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252603693880
It's a dual bipolar input opamp- of the same family as the OPA1641. The OPA1641, like the OPA627, is a FET input opamp.
Generally you cannot swap FET input opamps for Bipolar input opamps.
The opamp is what converts the current output from the DAC into a voltage, which is what the preamp/amp actually uses. It is an essential part of the conversion process.
The dual version of the OPA1641 is an OPA1642, but I'm confused as I believe that neither the Burson nor the OPA627 are duals.
The single of the OPA1612 is the OPA1611. My phono preamp, bye the way, uses OPA1611/1612 and OPA1641/1642s- amongst others.
 
OK... I don't even understand what this "opamp" thing does...? Does it somehow run in conjunction with a DAC... or is it part of the DAC that get's swapped out (a mod)? I'm just not at all clear on the purpose of this thing and where it goes in the signal chain...
The term stands for operational amplifier and is used most anywhere you need low level amplification. Most are inexpensive chip designs while others like the Burson use discrete FET devices in a simpler circuit topology. You find them in all manner of audio devices, but the finest gear in my experience (Audio Research, Ayre, BAT, Boulder, Conrad-Johnson, dCS, D'Agostino, Manley, Mark Levinson, Parasound, Pass Labs, Vitus, VTL, etc.) use inherently linear discrete triodes or JFETs which avoids the need for using large amounts of corrective feedback.

Other than the imaging (which is really important, no doubt!) is there any other changes to the sound? Does it make sound from digital sources a bit more like analog (less metallic on the treble, less clinical)?
All of the above. I experienced a similar level of improvement when I replaced B-B op amps with Burson V5s. Here is the thread I posted:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/new-op-amps-for-a-music-hall-dac-25-3.812527/
 
Last edited:
So all that and still no evaluation of the Burson op-amp???? I want to try one Burson op-amp in my Kenwood basic c2 phono stage anyone have an opinion on that
 
The term stands for operational amplifier and is used most anywhere you need low level amplification. Most are inexpensive chip designs while others like the Burson use discrete FET devices in a simpler circuit topology. You find them in all manner of audio devices, but the finest gear in my experience (Audio Research, Ayre, BAT, Boulder, Conrad-Johnson, dCS, D'Agostino, Manley, Mark Levinson, Parasound, Pass Labs, Vitus, VTL, etc.) use inherently linear discrete triodes or JFETs which avoids the need for using large amounts of corrective feedback.


All of the above. I experienced a similar level of improvement when I B-B op amps with Burson V5s. Here is the thread I posted:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/new-op-amps-for-a-music-hall-dac-25-3.812527/
Hey, what can I say. I produced a MC/MM phono stage + preamp from scratch using optimally chosen opamps and an interesting architecture and I was able to design a channel with essentially unmeasurable distortion, essentially perfect RIAA square wave response, almost digital RIAA compliance, low load sensitivity etc, etc, etc, - that quite a few "audiophiles" (myself included) think is superior to some of those triode etc. designs, including several lauded by TAS and Stereophile- and not a Burson or "inherently linear" (as you define it) device in sight.
How astonishing is that...
 
So all that and still no evaluation of the Burson op-amp????
Perhaps you missed the "Listening Notes" section in post #1. Or, the observations I made with the link provided in post #16.

I want to try one Burson op-amp in my Kenwood basic c2 phono stage anyone have an opinion on that
I would definitely confirm it, but by looking at close pics of the C2 Basic board, it uses socket mounted JRC4580s . When you order, make sure to specify the "dual" flavor. Installation is a breeze - just pay close attention to where the notch in the chip is oriented as they are directional. Here's a link to the Burson site which specifically mentions compatibility with that op amp:

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5/
 
Last edited:
How astonishing is that...
Congratulations. Good audio can be found quite inexpensively today.

I define inherently linear devices as those that produce excellent bench metrics (which fail to provide much insight as to a device actually sounds anyway) without the need for any *correction* that involves compromises. My SP20 fares pretty well using zero feedback in a class A balanced design. ;)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom