• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

buzz through MX119 only

dj_AmTraX

Super Member
Banned
I am getting a slight buzz through the MX119 connected to MC352 or MC2000
Here is my connection. All to one wall outlet, no conditioner.

MX119 to MC352 via XLR, MC352 to speakers. Nothing else. no source!
MX119 to MC2000 via XLR, MC2000 to speakers. Nothing else. no source!
****Buzz does not increase with volume.*****

I tried "cheater plug" and through conditioner. nothing helped.

If I use the Cary SLP-2002 pre-amp in the exact same set-up, no buzz.

Any ideas????
 
Register to hide this ad
Any lights out ?? some of the preamps will pick up AC buzz if they have burned out lamps, also repositoon wires feeding the lamps, away from circuitry.
 
Terry,

MX119- Fiber-optic lighting. Maybe a cheap dimmer on the house wiring would cause the hum though..

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Ron & Terry,

Both amp and pre are connect to the same wall socket. Socket is on it's own breaker. Lights on or off in the room makes no difference. The strange thing is there is no buzz through the Cary pre in the same exact set-up.

I spent a lot of time on this prior to posting the question here. More time than my girlfriend would like. hahaha....

Please help.
 
You can take it to your dealer or local service department and have it checked out.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Yes, check out the power cords. I had some interference originally with mine (very subtle, but there). I then swapped out the factory power cord for a high quality shielded cord and it was dead quiet....

Perhaps I routing the cords wrong and they were getting interference, but now I no longer have the issue as I have gone to Shunyata power cords on all of my gear and I am very happy with the result.
 
The majority of the time this is no problem found when the MX119 is tested at the dealer. Usually the problem is in the wiring, loose connections, interference, corroded or loose AC connections at the fuse box or outlet box.

Thanks again,
Ron-C
 
Agree, that was why I suggested checking out how the wires are routed. I used to also get some hum induced from my REL B1 sub until I double checked the tightness of the ground and then moved the cable away from the AC lines. Problem was solved and now it is very quiet....
 
Do you have cable TV connected to this system? I had a hummin problem with my setup but only with the coax connected so I bought a (F-connector) ground loop isolator for about $10 and all was cured.
 
Tom is correct on the cable issue. The use of 'ground lifters' is not much of an option as they will cause a digital cable box to loose the picture. It is against the law for a cable box/connection to have a different ground than that of the house. The cable company has to fix this or loose their license.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
double checked the tightness of the ground and then moved the cable away from the AC lines.


Are you talking about the house's grounding rod? It is inserted in the ground.
The house is old and may not have a single piont ground wiring. If it is my wiring, shouldn't it buzz with the Cary pre? It's hooked up with all the same wires and outlet as the MX119. No buzz.

I also noticed some cross talk & pop between inputs.

The coax from wall to tv disconnected and did not make a difference.

Ron,

If I take it to an authorized service center, all they will do is put it on the scope to ensure it meets specs right?
 
Tom is correct on the cable issue. The use of 'ground lifters' is not much of an option as they will cause a digital cable box to loose the picture. It is against the law for a cable box/connection to have a different ground than that of the house. The cable company has to fix this or loose their license.

Thanks,
Ron-C

That could explain why this happened to me....

Just yesterday I was having Direct TV installed. The installer was going to run both coax lines through my Monster HT-S5000 but he said it was preventing the signal from getting to the TV. SOOOOO...I wonder if the ground loop isolator I had left in line for Time/Warner Cable was causing all the problems for Direct TV. In the end he just bypassed the Monster all together. hhhhmmmmmm......maybe I'll reconnect the coax lines through the conditioner without the isolator. Couldn't hurt.:thmbsp:
 
I need to get it fixed before the C2200 arrives. I am affraid that with the C2200 in the line, it will cause more buzz.
 
Update:

I got the MX119 back from service. No problem found. All meets specs.

Now I need to find where the problem lies in the house. Any suggestions?
 
Call your favorite electrician and have him check the wiring at the fuse box and each outlet.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
I don't like those licensed thieves. I got a book on how do house wiring. I hope I don't burn my house to the ground.
 
Back
Top Bottom