• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

C11 v C20 v C22?

One thing is for sure, C20 will play all of the early LP records better since it has the various label EQs built in. Back in the 80s I had perfect samples of all three models and they all sounded great. Properly restored they still should.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Kevin,

I heard many people talk about their healthy C20 sounding better than other preamps that they had owned. I just keep running out of luck to hear one in its best condition. My C11s are in good shape but I suspect they too need new caps too. On one of the two C11s I now own, one has had the power supply caps run alongside new ones in parallel. No complaint.

If I were going this route I would buy the last model they made. Then again, I would not go this route because every C20 I have ever heard seemed a bit 'tinny' or metallic to me. The volume pot never seemed to balance correctly, which had a very adverse effect on the overall sound. They seem a bit overstuffed. I would opt for a C22 if you are serious.

If you want to buy it and not suffer with the old lousy pot that does not track or balance at all, this is the way to go:

http://www.goldpt.com/c20.html

It is a sweet upgrade, but you have to modify a few things.
 
Also, it has been my experience that with every vintage Mc pre model you choose, even if you had four of the same model side-by-side they would all sound different. Both my Mx110s sound a bit different, I had four Mx112s that all sounded different (kept the one that sounded the BEST to ME), had three C28s that differed, etc.
 
Back
Top Bottom