• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

C32 to both MC-2300 and MC-240 hookup questions

Slewfoot

Member
Hi Gang,

Hope all is well! For years now I have had my MC-2300 connected to a C32 (and sometimes C34V which is backup).

I then have two pairs of JBL's (4313B and 4312) connected to the 2300 and I also have a pair of Meyer Sound HD-1 powered amplifiers connected to the preamp as well.

I recently picked up one of the speaker cabinets from the Sotheby's Grateful Dead auction which is this pair of 12 inch speakers in the image below. They are most likely JBL's of some sort and I will be sending them to Audio Classics first to ensure they are in tip top condition for playing.

Now, here is what I am considering:

- connecting only this 2 x 12 inch speaker cabinet to the 2300 through the C32 (and sometimes C34V).
- buying a MC-240 tube stereo amp to connect just the JBL 4313B (I don't have room for also the 4312's) also through the C32
- keeping the Meyer Sound HD-1 powered amplifiers connected to the C32

My big question is can the C32 /C34V preamps handle have two amps connected to it plus the Meyer Sounds? They Meyers have their own built in power so not sure that's really a factor. But can those preamps take two big old Mc amps connected to it? Would they need to be run separately or could I technically have all 3 amps going at once through the preamps? I have the 2300 connected to the Main Output so the 240 could then perhaps go to one of the other Outputs alongside the Meyers.

Why would I possibly want this you ask? Well, to get 3 different types of sounds that are each unique, but can also blend together nicely when all are turned on and cranked loud.

Is this possible? Is it crazy? Curious to hear any thoughts. Thank you in advance!

90
 
Register to hide this ad
Input impedance of the Meyer Sound powered loudspeaker is 10,000 ohm; the MC2300 is 200,000 ohm and for the MC240 it's 250,000 ohm. When combined, the resulting impedance is 9,174 ohm which is above the C32's 5,000 ohm minimum amplifier input impedance. So no problem there.

FYI: The C32 could also drive thirty two (32) MC2300s which would result in 6,250 ohm impedance which is still above the 5,000 ohm minimum; for the MC240 it would even be more.

In this setup the most demanding equipment of the preamp are the Meyer speakers- not the amplifiers.
 
Last edited:
That's even better since the input impedance of the MB15b is 100,000 ohm resulting in a combined load of 52,631 ohm for all three units.
 
Last edited:
Hi Gang,

So now that we know that I *can* hook up both a 2300 and 240, that begs the question is it worth actually getting a 240 when I already have a 2300? Is the sound that much different or are they close enough where that doesn't really make sense? Are there some people that have A/B'd / compared those two amps? I always love a good tube sound, but at the same time don't feel a need to spend money frivolously.

Thank you in advance!
 
From standpoint of sound quality & practicality, no in my opinion. However another amplifier (with gain controls) will provide the flexibility of allowing the volume of secondary pair of speakers to be regulated independently of the first and visa versa - if level matching the speakers is a concern due to unequal distances to listening position.
 
I go both ways: Yes, because I like the MC240’s styling and love looking at it, especially all lit up, and also because I like having a couple of different systems around with different characteristics. Chances are good that you’ll eventually build a second system for another room, a dedicated vinyl system, something like that. The McIntosh tube amps are something of a statement piece, a focal point, and do that better than a metered vintage amp (in my opinion) and more people ask about my tube amps than any of my solid-state amps.

No would be because although I have never owned a 2300, I will say that I feel that the MC240 has a sound similar enough to the 2105 (which has similarities in design and componentry) and I typically never go down in power when I add an amplifier. It is great to have both, but not highly practical IMO as adding the MC240 won’t give you any more flexibility than the 2300 alone (other than the scenario that caddy mentioned above balancing two sets of speakers with different sensitivity).

If you find a nice MC240 for a good price, it’s usually a sound “investment” in that they hold their value well and can usually be sold for even money, not a lot of risk in a normal market.
 
The other issue is that if the speakers are of similar sensitivity, the MC240 will "run out" of power before the pair powered by the MC2300. Should the MC240 be driven into clipping, the unpleasantness would be all the more difficult to notice in order to take action against the speakers becoming damaged. For this (and other reasons) it's usually advisable to use similar or identical amplifiers in such applications. If the secondary speakers are to be used in a different location/room, that would be another story. Otherwise I can see little good reason to throw $3K/+ into the system simply to run another pair of speakers for which the MC2300 is already more than capable of doing for the speakers you're using.

If you truly enjoy the aesthetics of a classic Mc tube amplifier (a sentiment with which I can readily sympathize) maybe you should consider building an entirely different system around it as Saturation suggests.
 
Did we just not enable someone considering additional McIntosh gear?

I don’t think that’s ever happened here before, I might need to re-examine the meaning of life and what is the pursuit of happiness. In fact, I feel a bit dizzy.
 
Still never seen anyone else park an MC2300 atop a 5ft tall cabinet …

As an MC240 can trick the mind into hearing a bit of day I say warmth, as compared to a solid state design, it really is a rite of passage for any McIntosh enthusiast to try one themselves. Who cares if that’s really your mind looking at tubes glowing and being romanced into believing that, perception is reality.

Grab one, play around with it, and have fun. Life is short.
 
Thanks, everyone! Appreciate the insights and perspectives. I imagine I'll get a 240 one of these days either for our upstairs stereo or as an add-on to the basement version and the 2300. Doesn't sound like a big rush though.

Oh, and @damacman it's only partly being supported by that cabinet. The bulk of the weight is angled slightly to the back where the rear sits atop a shelf by a small window.
 
Thanks, everyone! Appreciate the insights and perspectives. I imagine I'll get a 240 one of these days either for our upstairs stereo or as an add-on to the basement version and the 2300. Doesn't sound like a big rush though.

Oh, and @damacman it's only partly being supported by that cabinet. The bulk of the weight is angled slightly to the back where the rear sits atop a shelf by a small window.
Oh, I recall ...
 
Hi Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice regarding connecting a 3rd pair of speakers to my MC-2300.

As of now I have a pair of JBL 4312's and 4313b's which are connected to the back as you can see in the photo below. I guess that years back I combined both pairs of speakers into their own sets of banana plugs to place into the COM and 4ohm spots. (I can't even remember doing that!)

I am adding in the speaker cabinet below which has two speakers in it. They are likely JBL D-120 or JBL E-120 which should both be 12 inches and 8ohm's.

My question is what is the best way to connect these to the MC-2300 while still retaining the other two pairs? Can I keep the wires separate or do I need to combine them into the same banana plugs as these? Would prefer to keep them separate if possible, but of course would not want to have any sound degradation. I'm not very savvy at this sort of stuff so just want to make sure I don't fry anything.

Thank you!

SLgUYKE.jpg


nzq96ck.jpg


1I0s8jB.jpg
 
Given the D120's high sensitivity, I would consider taking advantage of the C32's monitor amplifier section rather than connecting another pair of speakers to the MC2300. The GAIN controls located on the top of the C32 can then be used to regulate the volume independently of the other two pair.
 
Given the D120's high sensitivity, I would consider taking advantage of the C32's monitor amplifier section rather than connecting another pair of speakers to the MC2300. The GAIN controls located on the top of the C32 can then be used to regulate the volume independently of the other two pair.

Interesting thought and thanks! Although in a way that negates the purpose a bit since one of the reasons for buying that D120 speaker cabinet was to connect it to the MC-2300 a la the Wall of Sound which is where this speaker cabinet originated from in the first place.

If 3 pairs of speakers is too tricky I can always forgo the 4313b's or 4312's and have one of those pairs plus the D120 speaker cabinet.
 
Hi Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice regarding connecting a 3rd pair of speakers to my MC-2300.

As of now I have a pair of JBL 4312's and 4313b's which are connected to the back as you can see in the photo below. I guess that years back I combined both pairs of speakers into their own sets of banana plugs to place into the COM and 4ohm spots. (I can't even remember doing that!)

I am adding in the speaker cabinet below which has two speakers in it. They are likely JBL D-120 or JBL E-120 which should both be 12 inches and 8ohm's.

My question is what is the best way to connect these to the MC-2300 while still retaining the other two pairs? Can I keep the wires separate or do I need to combine them into the same banana plugs as these? Would prefer to keep them separate if possible, but of course would not want to have any sound degradation. I'm not very savvy at this sort of stuff so just want to make sure I don't fry anything.

Thank you!

SLgUYKE.jpg


nzq96ck.jpg


1I0s8jB.jpg

Is there some reason you don't want to use a speaker switch box? That's what I do with my 2300 for connecting 2 and 3 pairs of speakers to it. No degradation of sound that I can tell, and don't have to worry about shorting anything.
 
Is there some reason you don't want to use a speaker switch box? That's what I do with my 2300 for connecting 2 and 3 pairs of speakers to it. No degradation of sound that I can tell, and don't have to worry about shorting anything.

Thanks and I could be open to that. Which speaker switch box do you use with the 2300?
 
A Pyle 4 zone speaker selector. Cost about $30.

So after I posted that I took a look at my box and it turns out it's an old Adcom that I picked up somewhere. Probably could get one of these used for less then a new one from Amazon, but I'm guessing they're all pretty much the same and get the job done. Plus, you can always turn off one or 2 sets if you want to just listen to one pair.

49-F607-CF-5-BDA-4-DB4-BC77-09-EBC02-C7-C78.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom