• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

C48 upgrade

macomega

Active Member
I am trying to upgrade my preamp.
Now I have MS300 connected to C220. My dilemma is I know that my MS300 could sound better with better DAC.
Does C48 has better DAC than MS300 internal DAC ?
If C48 has better DAC than MS300. I will be selling my C220 right away to buy C48.

Thank u for your response in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
The internal DAC in the C48 is a 32/192, which is one of the latest and greatest. The MS300 has a 24/96 DAC, which is now at least two generations old and is considered to be the lowest level that one can consider 'high fidelity', according to some folks. I would settle for an MCD500 with its 24/192 DAC, so please send me one if you find it laying about.;) You could keep your C220 and replace your MCD201 with an MCD500 and accomplish the same thing. The MCD500 is supposed to be superb and a big step up from the MCD201/301, from what folks are posting. Either way, do you know that your MS300 will save/playback data at either 24/192 or 32/192 should you upgrade to either a C48 or MCD500 with their externally accessible DACs?
 
Last edited:
C48 will be an upgrade in sound quality for a number of reasons. C48 is a bit more than a better DAC as it also recklocks the data stream to lessen jitter.
Just running the experiment, MS300 both analog and digital out to C48, the digital to C48 has more air, separation and cleaner imaging than the analog out of MS300. While not a night and day difference it is noticeable.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
I would go the MCD500 route or buy an Oppo BDP95. You very well may end up with a very good preamp with a very outdated DAC in a few years. Take a look at the resale value of some of the 2-4 year old HT processors. I also have a sneaky suspicion that a new 600 series may be on the drawing board. mc601 then mcd 600 (better DAC) C600 etc.....
 
Last edited:
C48/C50 were both designed to play USB audio which by nature is typically held back with timing errors since it is digital information released in packets. These timing errors are sometimes referred to as jitter. The same circuitry that re-clocks the USB input is used on all of the digital inputs of C48 and C50. All digital inputs are asynchronous.
In the case of MS300 and MS750 they will have more jitter than some normal CD players since they are bringing music off of a computer type storage and transport. Most DACs will not address this but C48/C50 will.
I have been listening to the C48 all afternoon playing MS300 through it and it certainly has been providing very detailed, smooth playback that is emotionally involving. I doubt this sound quality will go out of date anytime in the foreseable future. It sounds magnificent.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Last edited:
I would go the MCD500 route or buy an Oppo BDP95. You very well may end up with a very good preamp with a very outdated DAC in a few years. Take a look at the resale value of some of the 2-4 year old HT processors. I also have a sneaky suspicion that a new 600 series may be on the drawing board. mc601 then mcd 600 (better DAC) C600 etc.....
While you may be correct about the MCD500 getting upgraded to the MCD600, Not sure I see this happening that quickly with the MCD1100 out there all ready. Other than the MCD500 being more attractive with its 'classic' faceplate, the major difference is the 24/192 DAC in the MCD500 vs the 32/192 DAC in the MCD1100. It will be some while (years) before there is much media available to take advantage of either of these DACs. The biggest point is the limitation of our ears (brains) to discern the difference between the two DACs. While I am not a proponent of blind listening tests in general, I would be between these two DACs, as I doubt that one could hear the difference. Too bad I don't have $11K to find out. ;)
 
Not sure what multi-channel home theater 'all over again' has to do with stereo digital audio. Yes, the advanced digital section of C48/C50 does allow much more flexibility than normal DACS since it is asynchronous and has USB. For those who may have missed it, the majority of all music purchased in the world is done so by downloads. A new stereo preamp design that ignores this fact would be kind of silly.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
There are two parts to the digital module used in C48 and C50. This module is a separate circuit board from the rest of the preamp that is loaded with all of the digital circuitry, connectors, etc.
The circuitry will first capture the incoming digital signal which can be any data rate from 16 to 32 bit, 32 to 192 KHz, SPIDIF (Sony Phillips Digital InterFace) Coaxial or Optical and 16/44.1 or 16/48 USB. Once this signal enters it is then sample rate converted to 32 bit-192 KHz, asynchronously re clocked to correct for jitter and then sent to the Burr Brown 32/192 DAC and converted to analog. Once in the analog domain the audio is treated like any other stereo source by the preamp.

Thanks again,
Ron-C
 
Thank u for the answers. I will be selling my C220 so I could upgrade my preamp to C48.
By the way beside having better EQ does C50 sound better than C48 ?
 
C50 has more EQ bands, meters, more inputs and outputs. Both preamps should have the same sound quality.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
I hope you are not implying that these processors will magically restore the audiophile sound of MP3s that make up the bulk of the downloads.

The parallel with internal digital theater processors will be shown as the market decides resale prices for perceived obsolete digital processors
 
The C48 is an intriguing option for me based on Ron C's report of very detailed, smooth and emotionally involving playback. The premium paid for the addition of high quality digital circuitry is small compared to the C46 that is being replaced and adds flexibility. The digital and analog sections appear well isolated in the C48, which is not always the case in home theater processors. IMHO, it is often obsolete video and mutichannel audio processing and compromised two channel audio that leads to the rapid depreciation in home theater processors. I believe this will be much less of an issue with the C48. Even if an outboard DAC is added in the future to my C48, this does not take away from what appears to be a very good analog preamp that I may enjoy for many years.
 
Once data is thrown away using a lossy format like MP3 there is no way to bring it back to the original state.Will better DAC conversion make lossy music sound better? Yes it will. Many are happy with MP3 sound so that is your decision. You can download music at full resolution and streaming full bandwidth music is coming fast.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
I bit the bullet and purchased a C50, will have it in about a week's time. Currently I'm using C2300 with a Cary Xciter DAC for my computer music, it will be interesting to find out how different the C50 will be.

I had a long debate if I should get another C2300 as I like to try different tubes, but after reading the performance of the C50 here, decided to give it a try. Will post back once it's here, patiently waiting .....
 
I bit the bullet and purchased a C50, will have it in about a week's time. Currently I'm using C2300 with a Cary Xciter DAC for my computer music, it will be interesting to find out how different the C50 will be.

I had a long debate if I should get another C2300 as I like to try different tubes, but after reading the performance of the C50 here, decided to give it a try. Will post back once it's here, patiently waiting .....


You made a wise choice...i have the C50 and it has exceeded my expectations beyond belief....the phono section is so smooth .
 

Attachments

  • mc4 001.jpg
    mc4 001.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 42
I am pleased with the recent addition of a C48 preamp to go with my MC501 amps. There is a new level of realism and detail to music with the C48 relative to my old Parasound C2 controller. The use of the digital inputs on the C48 also has improved the audio quality from several of my sources when compared to the playback using the internal DACs in the source components.
 
I would go the MCD500 route or buy an Oppo BDP95. You very well may end up with a very good preamp with a very outdated DAC in a few years. Take a look at the resale value of some of the 2-4 year old HT processors. I also have a sneaky suspicion that a new 600 series may be on the drawing board. mc601 then mcd 600 (better DAC) C600 etc.....

Who cares if the DAC becomes outdated in a few years. Its like saying why waste your money on a new car or a new computer because a new model is coming out next year. New things always come out and if you don't just take the plunge you will never buy anything. Regardless, even if the DAC becomes outdated the analog section will still be one of the best for many years.
 
Back
Top Bottom