• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Calling All Motorola Consoles!!!

That's a regular 2 channel stereo system. That particular stereo amplifier is one of Motorola's better stereo amps. It's full range and puts out about 12 - 15 watts per channel. I repaired one just like this for member Arcorob a few years back. He is currently using it in a build with an old 1930's radio cabinet. Just search Arcorob threads if you want to see it.
 
That's a regular 2 channel stereo system. That particular stereo amplifier is one of Motorola's better stereo amps. It's full range and puts out about 12 - 15 watts per channel. I repaired one just like this for member Arcorob a few years back. He is currently using it in a build with an old 1930's radio cabinet. Just search Arcorob threads if you want to see it.

To add to what @cademan mentioned, it's a model HS-696 there are variants of the the 696 such as "A", "C" etc

A good amount of threads with schematics to be had on AK via search

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/motorola_sk13mc_ch_hs_696_hs_709.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mot...MgQrQIoBHoECAgQBQ&biw=1280&bih=621&dpr=1#ip=1
 
Last edited:
Here is a shot of my Motorola console amp, it uses 4-EL84, 2-12AX7 and 1-5U4 tubes. All the caps including the can capacitor have been replaced.

Motorola Amp.JPG
 
View attachment 2761201 View attachment 2761202 Just picked this up yesterday. There is a large soft spot in my heart for the small cabinets with the satellite speaker.
That's a really cool set! Looks like the same Jensen speaker config as my Motorola 13KT15CW. They sound great!. The chassis stamp on yours is only a couple numbers after mine (HS-677) which makes sense that Motorola was further diving into stereo at that time. It's fun to see the progression. If you need help with your turntable make sure to check out Gary at V-M Audio Enthusiasts.
 
That's a really cool set! Looks like the same Jensen speaker config as my Motorola 13KT15CW. They sound great!. The chassis stamp on yours is only a couple numbers after mine (HS-677) which makes sense that Motorola was further diving into stereo at that time. It's fun to see the progression. If you need help with your turntable make sure to check out Gary at V-M Audio Enthusiasts.

Thanks! I am quite happy to have it myself. For $75 it seemed a no brainer. I will definitely be hitting up gary for parts if need be. I am not looking forward to the day that man retires as he makes it so easy to get parts.
 
Hello,
Great thread that has been going on for years. I'd like to add to it.
I have been working on a SK-34. I recapped the amp and when playing it the sound was just not great.

I found some stereo notes on radio museum and read that the cartridge had to have the left channel 180 degrees out of phase with the right channel, same with the left and right speaker.

once I did that, the sound improved tremendously and sounds very good for a 4 watt amp.

I this how all the three channel Motorola consoles are?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2174.jpg
    IMG_2174.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2175.jpg
    IMG_2175.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2176.jpg
    IMG_2176.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2177.jpg
    IMG_2177.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 26
Hello,
Great thread that has been going on for years. I'd like to add to it.
I have been working on a SK-34. I recapped the amp and when playing it the sound was just not great.

I found some stereo notes on radio museum and read that the cartridge had to have the left channel 180 degrees out of phase with the right channel, same with the left and right speaker.

once I did that, the sound improved tremendously and sounds very good for a 4 watt amp.

I this how all the three channel Motorola consoles are?
That's interesting to note. I have an SK-44 I posted here long ago (2012!:yikes:) and haven't touched it in years. This year I decided it was time to service all the unfinished projects I have stashed in the house attic and barn.

The SK-44 is on the list for new PS caps and some testing. I'll have to see if my 3-channel amp has the same as yours and report back after I get it running again.
 
IMG_20221221_101911083.jpg IMG_20221221_095811061.jpg
Let there be FM stereo! I installed the FM multiplex and transferred all the components for the FM indicator light to the receiver from the donor parts I got. For those looking install an original FM multiplex or new solid state units you can buy, you need to modify the circuit on these early consoles to achieve the largest FM output signal to the multiplex.
 
Last edited:
Greetings all, I picked up this console with the Motorola X 300 unit yesterday. Everything works just fine. It’s missing the stereo stylus, but it works and sounds quite good playing 78 RPM. But there is one issue that has me puzzled. The radio dial needles hang up while tuning as you can see on the one picture, the FM, one in particular, actually stops in the middle of the dial. When I take off the front panel they move freely. But when I put the panel back on they hang up again. If I undo the retaining screw on the side of the panel and really really loosen the nuts on the AM/FM knobs, I can get it to work OK. I’m not really asking for a fix. It’s just an interesting sort of design flaw I suppose. I had never seen nor imagined a unit where the tuner and controls were mounted on the lid. It’s very unique.
 

Attachments

  • 93E7278E-4DC8-422E-8BEE-8DBE39A46952.jpeg
    93E7278E-4DC8-422E-8BEE-8DBE39A46952.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 5A9DFF4D-1D35-4476-BFE1-F75648F8BB5B.jpeg
    5A9DFF4D-1D35-4476-BFE1-F75648F8BB5B.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 17
Greetings all, I picked up this console with the Motorola X 300 unit yesterday. Everything works just fine. It’s missing the stereo stylus, but it works and sounds quite good playing 78 RPM. But there is one issue that has me puzzled. The radio dial needles hang up while tuning as you can see on the one picture, the FM, one in particular, actually stops in the middle of the dial. When I take off the front panel they move freely. But when I put the panel back on they hang up again. If I undo the retaining screw on the side of the panel and really really loosen the nuts on the AM/FM knobs, I can get it to work OK. I’m not really asking for a fix. It’s just an interesting sort of design flaw I suppose. I had never seen nor imagined a unit where the tuner and controls were mounted on the lid. It’s very unique.
So I do have a question about the turntable in this unit. It is having the usual issues with the arm not quite working in automatic mode. I went through and did all the cleaning and lubing, and all the parts move very easily and I don’t see anything that I missed as far as cleaning is concerned. However, as you can see in the attachment, there is this spring underneath that isn’t connected on one end, and I have no idea where it would go and or whether that contributes to the automatic function not working.

Here are the symptoms:
When a record is stacked, and the switch is set to reject, the record drops, the arm lifts, and then sets back down on its rest.

If I do the record in “manual“ mode with the support arm, all the way to the right, the record will play automatic, as if it is a 10 inch record. Obviously because the button on the platter is engaged. I can get it to play in manual mode if I have the support arm all the way to the right and I just turn the turntable to “on“ instead of reject. But then upon completion, the arm comes back to the 10 inch record position.

So again, I don’t know whether there is a place I missed cleaning, and re-greasing, or if that little spring is an important part of the operation. Thank you kindly!
 

Attachments

  • 593CDA1B-5017-4CCE-83A7-9D4A319DE3DA.jpeg
    593CDA1B-5017-4CCE-83A7-9D4A319DE3DA.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DC1A576F-0294-4297-A4EE-80B2F5EB9542.jpeg
    DC1A576F-0294-4297-A4EE-80B2F5EB9542.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 9
That’s looks like a VOM changer. If so that spring is supposed to attach to a lever. I bet that lever is wedged up behind the main piece. It should look something like this.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2322.png
    IMG_2322.png
    522.3 KB · Views: 9
That’s looks like a VOM changer. If so that spring is supposed to attach to a lever. I bet that lever is wedged up behind the main piece. It should look something like this.
Well, that definitely looks like the same unit but I don’t see that lever anywhere . I have that piece behind and on the bottom of the plate and it almost looks of one piece with the lever but obviously it can’t be. Very strange.
 
Do you have a full picture of the bottom of the changer? Or do you know the model number? I can pull a schematic and make sure.
 
Do you have a full picture of the bottom of the changer? Or do you know the model number? I can pull a schematic and make sure.
Yes, indeed! Here are some more photos, including the model number… I believe, and also behind that slide.
 

Attachments

  • 66C68470-B07E-4BAC-94AF-39E2A14FFAB9.jpeg
    66C68470-B07E-4BAC-94AF-39E2A14FFAB9.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 8E2E7C0A-0FEA-4857-A2B8-38F0D66B5FEB.jpeg
    8E2E7C0A-0FEA-4857-A2B8-38F0D66B5FEB.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 10
  • E3FCA862-EDD9-4D43-B8EC-CB031E032DB9.jpeg
    E3FCA862-EDD9-4D43-B8EC-CB031E032DB9.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 10
  • 87FCF490-4B27-4E44-9025-14A9D3592E10.jpeg
    87FCF490-4B27-4E44-9025-14A9D3592E10.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 10
Yeah, looks like your escape lever is gone. See the link for the service manual. I'd contact gary at www.thevoiceofmusic.com and see if he has a slide. Shoot him some pictures and he can direct you to anything you may need.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18eC2ZmJj8I32vnxH5uYk6yDeXd-8MRoW/view?usp=drive_link
And Gary said that part of the plate was sheared off at some point . So he’s sending me a new one and instructions on refurbishing. Thanks again Aaron.
 
And Gary said that part of the plate was sheared off at some point . So he’s sending me a new one and instructions on refurbishing. Thanks again Aaron.
Sounds right. I just had a similar one come through my bench that had multiple pieces bent. It happens.

Very welcome. Glad to assist.
 
Back
Top Bottom