• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Calling All Motorola Consoles!!!

Motorola SK-30 Console photos

Here are the inside photos of my Motorola SK-30 console from 1959
 

Attachments

  • MotrC.jpg
    MotrC.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 285
  • MotamppreInner.jpg
    MotamppreInner.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 277
  • Motopre+amp.jpg
    Motopre+amp.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 335
  • Motott.jpg
    Motott.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 244
  • MotoDrivers.jpg
    MotoDrivers.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 251
SK-30 two more photos

Here they are
 

Attachments

  • Motopre1.jpg
    Motopre1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 158
  • MBass.jpg
    MBass.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 149
OK, cheating here a bit cause it isn't mine.... it belongs to a friend. However I parted out a similar console, and basically donated the record changer and tuner that he used in this one.
 

Attachments

  • Motorola-1.jpg
    Motorola-1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 137
  • Motorola-2.jpg
    Motorola-2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 150
  • Motorola-3.jpg
    Motorola-3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 114
is the amp in use. some of the moto amps are very coolio, i am always on the look out for a pair of the mono's myself
 
is the amp in use. some of the moto amps are very coolio, i am always on the look out for a pair of the mono's myself

It's kinda' a cool amp. One of the other consoles in this thread looked like it had the same one.... Here's mine. It gets used every so often.

attachment.php


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Motorola-amp-back.jpg
    Motorola-amp-back.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 792
yep thats me. my first recap, hooked it up to a set of aristocrate 3's and was in heaven.
that would be a sansui au9500. i have a lot of the sansui integrateds kickiing around, that is 1 of 2

ps if you want schematic i could scan mine and email it to you
 
this is the model I'm looking for. One of my friends parents owned it when I was growing up. It was one of the best sounding consoles at the time. What is the speaker layout? 15" in the center with mids and tweeters on the sides?

We had this exact one.
 
Ok so say I found one of these Motorola Drexel Heritage series consoles, is there a big demand for them? Its like 2 minutes from me, the lady says its over 6 feet long. I don't usually do 6 footers but I can store it in my friends garage, fix it up and pass it to some mid century modernist. I hate to see consoles tossed to the dump pile....just look at in my apartment. :D
 
Ok so say I found one of these Motorola Drexel Heritage series consoles, is there a big demand for them? Its like 2 minutes from me, the lady says its over 6 feet long. I don't usually do 6 footers but I can store it in my friends garage, fix it up and pass it to some mid century modernist. I hate to see consoles tossed to the dump pile....just look at in my apartment. :D

Demand yes - return on investment, not so much :no:

I think it'll be YEARS until these 50's and 60's consoles are considered collector items by anyone but us.
 
http://www.google.com/books?id=rkwE...130#v=onepage&q=motorola sk30 console&f=false

Through this fascinating thread I have determined that the console in my house when I was growing up was a Motorola SK32 "Declaration" in a Drexel cabinet. The advertisement states that it had 7 speakers and a built-in AM/FM tuner, meaning that it was not an add on. Does anybody know what electronics were inside?

It looks like it's a 3-channel EL84/6BQ5 amp. See:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/schematics/61/61_Motorola_SK32W_86.djvu
The output section is on Page 2.
 
Through this fascinating thread I have determined that the console in my house when I was growing up was a Motorola SK32 "Declaration" in a Drexel cabinet. The advertisement states that it had 7 speakers and a built-in AM/FM tuner, meaning that it was not an add on. Does anybody know what electronics were inside?
I haven't found a chassis number on the tuner but the amp, as you can see, is an HS-775C. It has what looks like a brand new set of Realistic brand EL84s.

It was so close and so cheap I couldn't pass it up. It will require some refinishing as the top has some water stains but it is in very good shape overall with the exception of the record changer. I might replace that with my spare Garrard Type A.

My wife recently informed me that she would prefer a mid-century modern console in the living room. This was a complete surprise since I previously thought she only tolerated my consoles because she knew they amused me and because she enjoyed the music. This is a huge step that she now has an expressed preference in style. I showed her the ad for the Motorola and she actually encouraged me to investigate. Her only condition was that it had to be from a non-smoking household.

MotorolaSK-32Controls.jpg

MotorolaSK-32DeclarationHS-775.jpg

Pre.jpg

MotorolaSK-32TunerTubeLayout.jpg
 
carter,
what does the front shot look like ? love that tuner !!
It's a lot smaller than it looks in most of the pictures I had seen of it. Note how easily fits in the van. It certainly is a heck of a lot smaller than that console that showed up at your house today, David. I was sure it would be too deep to use in place of the Premiere but it's only 20". Hard to see in this picture but the top is pretty badly water stained. (Thank you for the tuner schematics, David - now I just need some for the amp. If you need schematics for your X-202 just let me know.)

MotorolaSK-32Front3.jpg


Pretty impressive array of speakers in this thing: one big Jensen 15" and an assortment of Motorola Golden Voice speakers - 7 in all.

MotorolaSK-32Speakers2.jpg

MotorolaSK-32Jensen.jpg
 
Carter,
That is a great looking console, size is probably about right for a Moto 3-channel set-up. I really like my SK-16 although it is basically a mono set-up. Hopefully one day the matching speaker will show up and I will ponce on it.
I think Motorola really had thier stuff together and their consoles are way under rated. Judging by the joinery work it has to be a Drexil cabinet, looks nice....
 
Back
Top Bottom