• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

can anyone if these advents?

Register to hide this ad
Those are original large advents in walnut cabinets.
The surrounds look like re-foamed but inside out instead of concave as in original woofer.

Price is okay.
 
Those are OLA (Original Large Advent).
FWIW, they have the orange "fried egg" tweeters (the green ones are rarer).
They DO have the nice wood cabs, but they are a bit beat up.
IF they are working, its a fair to top dollar price.
They should be refoamed (either they were or will need to be).

Worth it? Yeah if you want the wood cabs and can dress up the boo-boos.

It does depend though on how many pop up in your area.

I have never seen OLA in wood cab myself. I do have the ulility cabs and they sound just great to me.
 
Those are original large advents in walnut cabinets.
The surrounds look like re-foamed but inside out instead of concave as in original woofer.

Price is okay.

I just re-foamed a pair and did the foam the same way. They still play fine, just don't look original.
 
I just found the same set local to me and they seem to be in very good condition inside and out. They also have the paperwork stapled to the back. Just don't know about the $200 for the pair.
advent_zps89e0faab.jpg
 
I just found the same set local to me and they seem to be in very good condition inside and out. They also have the paperwork stapled to the back. Just don't know about the $200 for the pair.
advent_zps89e0faab.jpg

Looks like you have the 1970's version, like I do. They are slightly different, and some have vinyl veneer instead of wood.
 
The pair shown above are the "Utility" cabinets and are a vinyl veneer. $200 is probably going to be the high side for a really nice pair that has been recapped, I would think, but locations differ.
 
If all the drivers work properly and the front grill covers are OK, $130 for the walnut Advents seems like more than a fair price to me. I have some and when cleaned up, they look great. 'Don't sound too bad either! Be sure too listen to each speaker with the rear switch in each of its 3 positions.

$200 for the Utility OLAs seems a little pricey to me.

Good luck!
 
Actually, they were backwards to begin with. :D
Most speakers have roll upwards.

That's why I didn't think to check and see which way these were "supposed" to be. If they were vintage KLH, I would've thought to myself "many of their old speakers have reversed surrounds. I just didn't even give it a thought on the advents, though I should've. It was a dumb move on my part!
 
That's why I didn't think to check and see which way these were "supposed" to be. If they were vintage KLH, I would've thought to myself "many of their old speakers have reversed surrounds. I just didn't even give it a thought on the advents, though I should've. It was a dumb move on my part!

I wouldn't worry about it, course lest you are OCD and must have them concave to be right. If they sound good and the bass is all there, it probably won't make a big difference on the Advents.
 
Back
Top Bottom