• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

can't believe he stored this this way and expects to sell them!!

siramazing

AK Member
Ad on the local Craig's List for 500 records, $50. I call the guy and ask a few questions, whose were these, what kind of TT were they played on, etc-Then I ask him where were these stored (remember, I am in SW Florida), and he says "the garage"-so already figuring I know the answer, I ask him if the garage is air-conditioned--his answer is, of course, "no", I thank him for his trouble, and hang up. For those of you not familiar with the SW Florida summers, it rains every day, and a closed garage can get to over 100 degrees easily, and I won't even mention how humid it is!! I'm just glad he was honest,and saved me the time and gas in finding melted records filled with mold!!

Bill
 
Register to hide this ad
your story reminds me of a seller i met a several summers ago. he had all of his rare records - blue note, verve, prestige, and etc locked in the front of a truck when we had 95 + degree day. by the time he opened the door to show me the records, all of those records were melted and wobbled up.:no:
 
A guy I work with said he's got a bunch of old rock, punk and other potentially interesting albums from his college days stashed away. In his attic. In Atlanta. Brilliant.

I told him I'll rip them to mp3 for him, but there's little hope they're in usable condition.
 
I got gifted a bunch of records that were stored in a semi-heated building. Several of them were semi melted -- I mean beyond warped but actually wavy on the edge they were sitting on (the bottoms). To me, it seems they actually softened and over time became reformed that way.

Weird, isn't it?
 
Are you guys serious? You've seen vinyl records melt?

I've not seen it happen as it was happening, but I've seen the consequences. I learned early on to not leave records in a hot car. Got in my hot car once to see a brand new Dead Kennedys album with about a 2" high warp in it. Completely unplayable. I heard the CD later and didn't care so much about it after discovering that I hated the Dead Kennedys. :boring:
 
I've not seen it happen as it was happening, but I've seen the consequences. I learned early on to not leave records in a hot car. Got in my hot car once to see a brand new Dead Kennedys album with about a 2" high warp in it. Completely unplayable. I heard the CD later and didn't care so much about it after discovering that I hated the Dead Kennedys. :boring:



No Holiday in Cambodia for you!
 
I stilll would have looked, even if half where trashed thats still a great deal.. Its odd that super cheap records are out there then we give these folks the 3rd degree asking what where and when, just go see for yourself.
 
Records?

I know plenty of people who tell me stories like "Oh, so I then decided to leave my guitar in the trunk of my car for 2 weeks....blah....blah...blah...heatwave...blah...blah...blah...neck of the guitar was warped afterwards....can you believe it......blah....blah....".

I don't see how people can't think 1 hour into the future of their lives so as not to destroy their precious investments.

In my neighborhood, I can't tell you how many GIANT sets of expensive tools I've seen workers leave out on the sidewalk....unattended for a LONG period of time. When I first moved here I honestly thought "Why is everyone throwing out their tools?" It never occurred to me that anyone would leave anything so valuable out there on the sidewalk in a major city for long periods of time.

I'm not into tools plus they looked so heavy, so it never occurred to me to take any...and I did figure out what was going on pretty quickly....but I'm sure some undesirable person did at some point in the last few years steal tons of tools.

Incredibly short-sighted stuff. Crazy, actually.

LouLoomis
 
sw fl garage

500 Lp's for $50. I would have gone and at least looked them over. :D

I can tell you've never been inside a SW Florida garage in August. I have one of those hospital eating trays on wheels I was storing when my mother was sick--the table is literally bent from the heat. Those records were in his garage for 4 years in a closed boxes-'nuff said!!
 
how hot does it get in a garage???

How hot does it get in the garage? maybe 100 max with no direct sunlight I would check them out for sure.

I can tell you've never been inside a SW Florida garage in August. I have one of those hospital eating trays on wheels I was storing when my mother was sick--the table is literally bent from the heat. Those records were in his garage for 4 years in a closed boxes-'nuff said!! It is way hotter than 100, and the humidity is killer!!!

bill
 
geeez Louise

I stilll would have looked, even if half where trashed thats still a great deal.. Its odd that super cheap records are out there then we give these folks the 3rd degree asking what where and when, just go see for yourself.

see my reply to the other guys about how hot it gets in that garage-there would be nothing left to look at-just pools of soft vinyl filled with mold.
 
see my reply to the other guys about how hot it gets in that garage-there would be nothing left to look at-just pools of soft vinyl filled with mold.

I dont care if you go or not but till you actually see for yourself its just speculation, say even 300, even 400 were no good, 100 albums at $50 is still a deal.
 
I can tell you've never been inside a SW Florida garage in August. I have one of those hospital eating trays on wheels I was storing when my mother was sick--the table is literally bent from the heat. Those records were in his garage for 4 years in a closed boxes-'nuff said!! It is way hotter than 100, and the humidity is killer!!!

bill


Well I am a bit further south. I did live in Richmond VA for a few years with no AC and my records all survived well.
 
I can tell you've never been inside a SW Florida garage in August. I have one of those hospital eating trays on wheels I was storing when my mother was sick--the table is literally bent from the heat. Those records were in his garage for 4 years in a closed boxes-'nuff said!!

Yes you are right abought the SW Florida garage. I have pulled records out of garages in LA and surrounding areas that had been stored longer. Always loaded my truck with them. It was even better that they were in closed boxes. Just saying, I would have made the trip. I might not have posted on the "I'm a Vinyl addict threads" I think on the obsession thread. I'm in denial. Hope you find your score. :D :scratch2: :smoke: :smoke: My name is Joe. I'm an addict :thmbsp:
 
How hot does it get in the garage? maybe 100 max with no direct sunlight I would check them out for sure.

I don't know about southern Florida, but in northwest Florida it gets over 100 in the garage in the summer. I still would have checked them out. My uncle had records in fine shape that he owned for thirty years before he even had air conditioning.

A car is a different matter. I've seen wavy records that were left in a car for not very long. The temperature goes up quickly and high in a closed up car.
 
Back
Top Bottom