• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Cart ID help, if you please

beej

Proud BaPa of G, A and AJ
Subscriber
Anyone recognize this cart? Has the Audio-Technica logo and came with a parts unit I purchased on the auction site. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • AT cart (1).jpg
    AT cart (1).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 52
Register to hide this ad
Greetings from Connecticut, Manfred. And thanks very much for the help.
 
That looks a helluva lot like the Audio-Technica AT95 with a red instead of green stylus assembly..but I trust lini.
 
vinyldavid, I was thinking the same thing. But since technically, the AT95 is not a U.S.-released cartridge, I also trust lini and suspect that they are of the same family, probably differing only in stylii.
 
Don't know if the stylus is the only difference, but the AT3400 is pretty bottom-of-the-line with a 0.6 mil conical tip.
 
Gents, I've confirmed it's a 3400 through a google search. The auction site has one up for $33.95:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-Audio-T...7338270QQihZ017QQcategoryZ64620QQcmdZViewItem

Quite frankly, it didn't appear to be particularly high end once I got a good look at it.
LPGear offers an upgrade eliptical stylus for $34.95 which I'll pick up if I decide to put this into my rotation. I really can't complain though. Thus far I've picked up a Shure M95HE, a Pickering XV-15/625e and an Empire LTD200 on 'tables I've picked up for very little off the auction site.

Thanks very much for all your responses and your interest.
 
Last edited:
Correctamundo, guys! :thmbsp: The AT95E is the same, but in green with the elliptical stylus. So the ATN95E stylus would be a worthwhile upgrade.
 
Correctamundo, guys! :thmbsp: The AT95E is the same, but in green with the elliptical stylus. So the ATN95E stylus would be a worthwhile upgrade.

It's a wonderful cart, and makes great music. HIGHLY recommended.
 
Just saw Howard's and David's posts. Maybe I lucked out again. I'll check that out and report back. You guys are the best.
 
The ATN95E is the exactly the upgrade I was looking at and alluded to earlier in this thread. Based on Howard's input (He has never steered me wrong!) and David's views (Are you sure you're still a teenager?) I'm ordering the ATN95E. Thanks again.
 
Yup - sorry, should have mentioned that AT93/95/34xx all belong to the same family of AT MMs... And to throw in some more upgrade ideas: LPGear offers two custom manufactured upgrade needles for these ATs - a hyperelliptical for US$ 50 as well as a Shibata for US$ 65.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Howard and Manfred: I emailed LPGear to obtain ordering info on the HE stylus which they promptly provided. In a follow up I asked them to confirm that the HE would fit in the 3400 cart body. Their response:

We have not tried it on the AT3400 so we cannot
confirm.

LP Gear


Recognizing that this is tantamount to asking a brewmaster if he knows hops can you confirm for me that the HE will fit in the AT3400? Thanks.
 
Ok, my response then:

I haven't tried it on a 34xx body, either - but the AT93, AT95 and AT34xx bodies are completely identical, so I dare to confirm compatibility nevertheless.

Lini


Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Doesn't go for all 34xx models, though - the T4P/P-Mount model bodies (e.g. 3472, 3482) are different. And there might be more - similar to the AT4xx range, in which one can also find a couple of different bodies...
 
Manfred, thanks. I received a similar response from Howard separately. I'll be ordering the HE stylus from LPGear and checking it out. I'll provide a full report in this forum. Again, thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom