• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cart ID Please

JohnInICT

ROCK N ROLL!
Subscriber
Please help me ID this cart. All I know about it is that it is off a Marantz TT and has no visible markings.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • IMAG1410.jpg
    IMAG1410.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Not sure, since it's known by a few names. Mine is a Sonus PME. Not made by either Marantz or Sonus but by (I suspect) Nagaoka, I expect we'll see it again under yet another name if we look hard enough (how about Excel P300E?). It's a good cartridge if you can find styli for it.
.
 
Last edited:
wualta: Not Nagaoka - but Piezo/Azden (YM-P20/50 family).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
IMAG1410a.jpg Marantz 2.jpg
JICT: Near's I can tell, the cartridge is a Marantz CT-530, and the best stylus you're likely to find for it has the Pfanstiehl designation 246-DEX. Cheapest price I see at the moment is Gary at thevoiceofmusic.com. One thing to keep in mind: the 246-Dxx styli being sold by online vendors are moving-magnet versions for the identical-looking Empire line. There's about a 10dB drop in level when you use those styli in the moving-iron Sonus or Marantz bodies, though they sound okay. Well, better than just okay-- they're very good styli, especially the 246-DEX nude-mount elliptical.

lini: I'd believe you more about "family" if the YM-P20/50 wasn't completely different-looking, didn't take different styli, didn't use a completely different cantilever bearing (grommet) method, didn't operate on a different principle (MM v. MI), and if Nagatron/Nagaoka didn't sell an identical-looking cartridge under their own name. Well, there were MM versions of the Sonus/Marantz body, without the body magnet, made for Empire. But I'm hiding that one behind my back.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom