• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Cartridge for Technics SA-1200 GR2

What cables are you using between the turntable and the pre-amp or receiver?
I ordered the LC-1 cables from Blue Jeans Cable (thanks krautmaster!). The total run of cable should be about 79 pF according to their data. Not sure how to calculate the rest of the system capacitance, but it’s a start.
Those aren't considered "bright" sounding cables. Right? I have old-school copper Audioquest cables. It's, for sure, not bright.

As a side note, I tried the Audio Technica VM740ML. It was a little too bright for me. Soon after that trial, I went to MC cartridges. I like Denon MC cartridges if that helps you with my tastes.
From what I understand (if I’m understanding correctly), In order to keep the AT VM740ML from sounding too “bright”, the total capacitance should be kept between 100-200pF, which is what is recommended by Audio Technica for that cart.

As far as MC carts go, I may be too new at this to invest in the higher cost most MC cartridges carry. And I’m also concerned that once I start going down those roads, there’s no turning back…I’m trying not to come home with an $8,000 McIntosh Amplifier and a $3000 preamp…I think..
 
As far as MC carts go, I may be too new at this to invest in the higher cost most MC cartridges carry. And I’m also concerned that once I start going down those roads, there’s no turning back…I’m trying not to come home with an $8,000 McIntosh Amplifier and a $3000 preamp…I think..
Time will tell. :)

I understand. I started slow, too. However, after a few MM trials, I decided to go with the Denon DL-103R. I upgraded its cantilever and tip and then went to the 103Sa.

It's all a unique personal journey. :thumbsup:

Use Ta Be My Girl.
Off O'Jay's "So Full Of Love." Philadelphia International Records. 25AP 982. CBS-Sony pressing (Japan). 1978.
Run-Out: 25AP - 982A2 1 A ! + 〄
 
Thanks for the reply. Beautiful looking preamp. Probably going to pull the trigger on either the Schiit Skoll, or the Pro-Ject. My main concern is the AT VM740ML cart sounding too bright on the 1200gr2.
Hopefully one of those will help (should I need it)!
I don't have any issue with the 740ML being bright on the GR2 when using the Skoll and LC-1 cables... when it was in the office hooked up to the Parasound JC3 Jr it was a bit hot, but nothing bad, but it is just so sweet with the Skoll.
 
I ordered the LC-1 cables from Blue Jeans Cable (thanks krautmaster!). The total run of cable should be about 79 pF according to their data. Not sure how to calculate the rest of the system capacitance, but it’s a start.

From what I understand (if I’m understanding correctly), In order to keep the AT VM740ML from sounding too “bright”, the total capacitance should be kept between 100-200pF, which is what is recommended by Audio Technica for that cart.

As far as MC carts go, I may be too new at this to invest in the higher cost most MC cartridges carry. And I’m also concerned that once I start going down those roads, there’s no turning back…I’m trying not to come home with an $8,000 McIntosh Amplifier and a $3000 preamp…I think..
Yes the 540/740ML like the total capacitance to be below 200pF, so you will be fine with either the Skoll or the Project preamp. I had a MC cartridge for a very short time (a month), It was an Audio Technica 0C9XML and it sounded beautiful... until I broke the cantilever off and watched $600 go down the drain. With MC carts there is no replacement stylus, so my experiment with them is over, I'm sticking with MM carts.
 
I don't have any issue with the 740ML being bright on the GR2 when using the Skoll and LC-1 cables... when it was in the office hooked up to the Parasound JC3 Jr it was a bit hot, but nothing bad, but it is just so sweet with the Skoll.
Good to know. Thanks so much for the info krautmaster. My distributor says approximately two weeks for the 1210gr2. When it ships, I’ll need to make a decision, but I’m leaning towards ordering the Skoll
 
Good to know. Thanks so much for the info krautmaster. My distributor says approximately two weeks for the 1210gr2. When it ships, I’ll need to make a decision, but I’m leaning towards ordering the Skoll
Schiit is a great company with great warranties (5 years on most things) and they are very easy to deal with if there is an issue. I used to use Parasound Halo equipment almost exclusively,but I find the Schiit to sound better and the cost is 1/4 to 1/2 the price of the Halo stuff. I have two TYR mono block amps, a Freya+ preamp, a Loki Max EQ, and a Skoll phono amp - I sold most of my Parasound equipment after Richard Schram sold the company and the new owner jacked up the prices 70% (I bought a brand new A21+ amp for $2400, now they are $4000).
ving room stereo 5-16-24   001.jpg
 
Last edited:
Schiit is a great company with great warranties (5 years on most things) and they are very easy to deal with if there is an issue. I used to use Parasound Halo equipment almost exclusively,but I find the Schiit to sound better and the cost is 1/4 to 1/2 the price of the Halo stuff. I have two TYR mono block amps, a Freya+ preamp, a Loki Max EQ, and a Skoll phono amp - I sold most of my Parasound equipment after Richard Schram sold the company and the new owner jacked up the prices 70% (I bought a brand new A21+ amp for $2400, now they are $4000).
View attachment 3209103
Any humming issues with the Skoll? I read a few users had issues with that
 
No
Schiit is a great company with great warranties (5 years on most things) and they are very easy to deal with if there is an issue. I used to use Parasound Halo equipment almost exclusively,but I find the Schiit to sound better and the cost is 1/4 to 1/2 the price of the Halo stuff. I have two TYR mono block amps, a Freya+ preamp, a Loki Max EQ, and a Skoll phono amp - I sold most of my Parasound equipment after Richard Schram sold the company and the new owner jacked up the prices 70% (I bought a brand new A21+ amp for $2400, now they are $4000).

Schiit is a great company with great warranties (5 years on most things) and they are very easy to deal with if there is an issue. I used to use Parasound Halo equipment almost exclusively,but I find the Schiit to sound better and the cost is 1/4 to 1/2 the price of the Halo stuff. I have two TYR mono block amps, a Freya+ preamp, a Loki Max EQ, and a Skoll phono amp - I sold most of my Parasound equipment after Richard Schram sold the company and the new owner jacked up the prices 70% (I bought a brand new A21+ amp for $2400, now they are $4000).
View attachment 3209103
Beautiful set up! Now I know why you’re waiting for the Skoll to come out in silver lol
 
Any humming issues with the Skoll? I read a few users had issues with that
not a peep... deep black silence. Some folks have old /sketchy wiring in their houses and they have noise/hums no matter what they do, and many times it turns out they have stuff plugged into an ordinary power strip... (if they are getting a hum it is probably a grounding issue with their turntable, not the Skoll, but you never know for sure)
 
Last edited:
By t
not a peep... deep black silence. Some folks have old /sketchy wiring in their houses and they have noise/hums no matter what they do, and many times it turns out they have stuff plugged into an ordinary power strip... (if they are getting a hum it is probably a grounding issue with their turntable, not the Skoll, but you never know for sure

not a peep... deep black silence. Some folks have old /sketchy wiring in their houses and they have noise/hums no matter what they do, and many times it turns out they have stuff plugged into an ordinary power strip... (if they are getting a hum it is probably a grounding issue with their turntable, not the Skoll, but you never know for sure)
By the way, on your 1200gr2, could you provide the height of the unit with the dust cover fully open? I have limited space, and I’ve had no luck finding any data for this particular spec. Thanks in advance!
 
By t
not a peep... deep black silence. Some folks have old /sketchy wiring in their houses and they have noise/hums no matter what they do, and many times it turns out they have stuff plugged into an ordinary power strip... (if they are getting a hum it is probably a grounding issue with their turntable, not the Skoll, but you never know for sure

not a peep... deep black silence. Some folks have old /sketchy wiring in their houses and they have noise/hums no matter what they do, and many times it turns out they have stuff plugged into an ordinary power strip... (if they are getting a hum it is probably a grounding issue with their turntable, not the Skoll, but you never know for sure)
By the way, on your 1200gr2, could you provide the height of the unit with the dust cover fully open? I have limited space, and I’ve had no luck finding any data for this particular spec. Thanks in advance!t
It is 16.5" from the surface the table is sitting on to the highest point of the cover when fully opened.
Thanks krautmaster. Will the dust cover remain in the opened position if not completely opened? Like maybe 15 inches? I’m cuttin it close..
 
By t
not a peep... deep black silence. Some folks have old /sketchy wiring in their houses and they have noise/hums no matter what they do, and many times it turns out they have stuff plugged into an ordinary power strip... (if they are getting a hum it is probably a grounding issue with their turntable, not the Skoll, but you never know for sure

not a peep... deep black silence. Some folks have old /sketchy wiring in their houses and they have noise/hums no matter what they do, and many times it turns out they have stuff plugged into an ordinary power strip... (if they are getting a hum it is probably a grounding issue with their turntable, not the Skoll, but you never know for sure)
By the way, on your 1200gr2, could you provide the height of the unit with the dust cover fully open? I have limited space, and I’ve had no luck finding any data for this particular spec. Thanks in advance!t
It is 16.5" from the surface the table is sitting on to the highest point of the cover when fully opened.
Thanks krautmaster. Will the dust cover remain in the opened position if not completely opened? Like maybe 15 inches? I’m cuttin it close..
Since the springs in the hinges are still new, mine stays open no matter how high I open it: 2", 4", 8" , etc.
Thank you so much for the information. You rock! Much appreciated!
 
Yes the 540/740ML like the total capacitance to be below 200pF, so you will be fine with either the Skoll or the Project preamp. I had a MC cartridge for a very short time (a month), It was an Audio Technica 0C9XML and it sounded beautiful... until I broke the cantilever off and watched $600 go down the drain. With MC carts there is no replacement stylus, so my experiment with them is over, I'm sticking with MM carts.

You do realize that your MC cart can be fixed, even upgraded? Multiple good re-tipping options out there…..

VR
Andy
 
Gear-up Krautmaster!

There's a queue forming for one of your plinths... seriously!

Yours is the best looking TECHNICS I ever laid eyes on! :thumbsup:
I bought it from a guy in Spain (he is on Etsy, also on Ebay)- just make sure you choose the correct model because the newer ones (G / GR/1500) are larger than the older models.


 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom