• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cat sits on my tubes, like a hen hatching an egg??

gearhound

Lunatic Member
Really......I don't get it??
This cat doesn't only sit on my tube amp.
She actually sits on my.....TUBES!!??
Of course, she is smart enough to only sit on them, when they are cool.
My wife says to get a spray bottle of water, and shoot the cat when she gets near the amp.
I'd rather find/make a tube cage, then soak my electronics down with water.

Nuts!!

Steve :sigh: :nono:
 
Register to hide this ad
I may be watching too much Cesar Milan (the Dog Whisperer), but it seems as if your cat is attempting to claim your tubes. Perhaps it is an attempt to share something that she recognizes as important to you, or it might be an attempt to compete with you for something that is apparently important to you.
 
Just doing what cats do.. placing their self between you and where your attention is focused.... kind of like a little hint from your cat..
 
Yeah.....probably an "attention" thing?

She is the ultimate.....lap cat!
If you are NOT petting her, as far as SHE is concerned.
You are committing a major social flub!!??

Steve
 
The spray bottle thing is a good idea. It will only take a time or two before she runs at the sight of the thing. If I were you, I'd be a little concerned about territorial pissing - that'd be a bit worse than water on the amp.

They're crazy critters. One of my cats barfed on an amp of mine. I'm sure it was done out of sheer malice...
 
Neon sez....

Your cat is trying to get involved with your hobby.
After reading Morgan Jones' "Building Valve Amplifiers", I'm really into tubes.
Roll with it!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2145_sm.jpg
    IMG_2145_sm.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 179
Hmmm... sounds like that might be bad for you, your gear, your fire insurance, AND your cat. :nono:

I like the water spraying idea.
 
Try (when you're not listening to it) covering the tubes with a sheet of aluminum foil (like I said - don't do this when you're listening to it). Don't put it on tight... It should be loose enough to make a wrinkly-crinkly noise. You'll probably have to tape it to the base of the amp.

Our cats used to walk all over our counter, and when we did this (we put it all along the edge for a weekend), it quickly stopped them from jumping up there as they didn't like the sound or feel of it. Well, that's what I presume...

It's cheap and it doesn't risk water (or cat pee) damage.
 
the foil is a good idea... apple bitters and cayanne pepper also works as a great deterant for kitty
 
Last edited:
Perhaps your cat heard the phrase "Put Some GLASS In Your @$$".... :yes:
 
Last edited:
Tubes for HER pleasure?

Is it the solid plate Tung-Sol USA 6AU6's or the Philco-badged Sylvania 12B4A's, that get her little motor purring?

Steve :sigh: :D
 
Nix on the water idea...one drop of water on a hot tube=shot tube. (I toasted a fine Sylvania 7591 w/a drop of water off of the outside of a glass...cracked immediately :()
I mentioned a possible solution in the "pictures of cats on audio gear" thread. Our newest feline acquisition, Toby, developed a fixation for scratching the corner of the couch. I bought a can of citrus air freshener at my wife's hairdresser...100% natural mix of citrus extracts. I give the corners of the couch a couple spritzes every day or so and so far Toby's steering clear.
 
Hopefully she won't start chewing on utility wires like Aunt Bethany's cat did in 'Christmas Vacation'.

- POOF! -

Then Eddie says. . ."If that cat had nine lives it sure used 'em all."

. . Falcon
 
Moderators Note:

In an earlier post (now removed) a suggestion was made to do harm to the animal in question. Firstly, animal cruelty is against the law. It's also not a solution to this problem that AK wants any part of. To future posters... If you have nothing to offer this conversation but suggestions of cruelty and harm, find another thread.

Moderator's hat off - To the OP:

Moth balls. Cats hate the smell of them, and if you can tolerate the smell yourself, they're an excellent way of creating a 'cat free' zone.
 
Back
Top Bottom