• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

CD players vs CD/DVD players

jm55

Well-Known Member
I was eyeing an old CD player for sale in a re-use store. It's a Sony CDP-C215. While trying to find some information about it, I came across two comments that CD players in general do not sound as good as CD/DVD players, presumably because the latter has better disc reading technology. This struck me as odd, but I really don't know much about players.

Is there any truth to that idea? Are older CD/DVD players on average better than CD players for any reason?
 
Register to hide this ad
No.

The fact that a player can read both dvd and cd does not mean that it will have better sound quality than a straight cd player.

Sound quality of a player is primarily a function of its d/a converter and its associated analog amplification circuitry. Has nothing to do do with whether it can read dvd or not.

Note that a particular dvd player may have better sound quality than a particular cd player. And of course the reverse is true as well.
 
As with most anything here, it depends on the specific models being compared.

DVD players in general benefit from having newer DACs and updated disc reading capabilities available for implementation than older CD players. That being said, that does not mean DVD players are always better. The big problem with many DVD players (and especially newer ones and Blu-Ray players) is that the analog stage is mostly an afterthought, which effects the quality of analog sound. That doesn't mean they can't sound better than a CD player still - it's all about the design of the particular models we're comparing. Like many CD players, many DVD players were built to meet a price point and many design features were cheapened out versus the best designs.

Higher end DVD/Blu-Ray players are what really compete with CD players. These usually have well thought out analog stages and are built to appeal to the analog listener, which are often due to the feature of analog multichannel surround outputs. They're often designed to be used as CD, HDCD, SACD, DVD-A, etc. players in addition to playing movies, so they're built with the "audiophile" in mind. Most recently, Oppo was the most high profile player in this market, but there are many others. They also tend to decrease in price more rapidly than CD players due to the "obselete" technology (DVDs), which often makes them a more affordable option than a comparable CD player.

Older CD players were of course built with analog listening in mind. They can have age issues versus newer units, which can effect how well they read and play discs. Many older lasers didn't handle scratches or smudges on discs well, which led to tracking errors (skips and such). While DAC technology has progressed since the golden age of CD players, the early analog stages often were designed to compensate for some of those shortcomings.

Personally, I use a Toshiba SD-9200N, which had a cost of $2k in 2000 as my main CD player. It has the previously mentioned analog multichannel outputs, as well as a dedicated analog stereo output. It plays discs the smoothest and sounds the best of any player I own, thanks to its well thought out design.

As spark1 said, it's all about the circuitry design, and the type of disc read doesn't matter. The best-sounding players will have well-designed analog stages and good circuitry in front of that.

That's a quick rundown of what matters in design. You may find more answers in the "Digital Sources" subforum.
 
Have a Marantz BD8002 BR/DVD/CD player, may have been thier top end unit at $2k in '09. And NAD BC546BEE $500, two years old.
Except for BD8002 slower read starts and rejecting a few CDs, they seem to sound similar.
Various Sony carousel CD players, 20 years+ old I have, don't sound as good as above.
Just my limited experience/opinion. Maybe get what you pay for.
 
Have a Marantz BD8002 BR/DVD/CD player, may have been thier top end unit at $2k in '09. And NAD BC546BEE $500, two years old.
Except for BD8002 slower read starts and rejecting a few CDs, they seem to sound similar.
Various Sony carousel CD players, 20 years+ old I have, don't sound as good as above.
Just my limited experience/opinion. Maybe get what you pay for.
Those same various Sony carousel CD player (ES models excluded) didn't sound as good as many other CD players from the same era either.
 
I've never seen a DVD or other multi-format disc player that didn't have huge delays in opening the drawer, or reading the disc(s).

It's like they have to think about what they're doing for awhile, before the requested action can take place.

Plain ol' CD players move much more quickly, with 1/10 the irritation.
 
I purchased a used Sony DVP-S7000 for cheap that has very good sound.

It's a DVD player but has a separate laser for cd playback.

Cost $1,000 new and you can find them used for $100 or less.
 
I've never seen a DVD or other multi-format disc player that didn't have huge delays in opening the drawer, or reading the disc(s).

It's like they have to think about what they're doing for awhile, before the requested action can take place.

Plain ol' CD players move much more quickly, with 1/10 the irritation.
They have to determine the format, then load the data. It takes longer to prep and play an LP.
 
I've never seen a DVD or other multi-format disc player that didn't have huge delays in opening the drawer, or reading the disc(s).

It's like they have to think about what they're doing for awhile, before the requested action can take place.

Plain ol' CD players move much more quickly, with 1/10 the irritation.

Agreed! I find it rather irritating to wait so long between discs when playing CDs on a DVD player...
 
The multiple format capability is worth it to me, and the better multiformat DVD players are bargains as hand-me-downs for BluRay. I'd still like to have a really good Red Book player, but I dunno if I'd swap the DV-45A space for it.
 
I've never seen a DVD or other multi-format disc player that didn't have huge delays in opening the drawer, or reading the disc(s).

It's like they have to think about what they're doing for awhile, before the requested action can take place.

Plain ol' CD players move much more quickly, with 1/10 the irritation.
You may not have seen the Oppo Udp-203/205 then because they are extremely fast in opening closing and reading both cds and 4K discs, I’m sure as fast as some of the best CD players as well.

Audiofreak71
 
My experience: 20 year old TOTL Sony DVP-S9000ES, which plays CDs, stereo SACDs, and DVDs, delivers CD and stereo SACD sound that, to my ears, is indistinguishable from CD and stereo SACD sound delivered from a new OPPO UDP-205 I purchased recently.
 
I've never seen a DVD or other multi-format disc player that didn't have huge delays in opening the drawer, or reading the disc(s).

It's like they have to think about what they're doing for awhile, before the requested action can take place.

Plain ol' CD players move much more quickly, with 1/10 the irritation.

I personally like the delay, it gives me time to pour my drink and get back to my seat. Of course if you don't like a drink while you are listening, I guess I can understand, your irritation with the delay......:)
 
DVD players play CDs better than CD players???

Another bizarre, baseless generalization joins the thousands mis-informing the hi-fi crowd...

Some of the highest end DVD players will compare favorably to CDP's. I compared my Panasonic DVD-H1000 to a Sony CDP-XA7ES and it was close enough that I decided to sell the Sony.
 
Back
Top Bottom