• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cheap easy homebrew antenna WORKS

Why did you elect to use a single strand of the phone wire when you could have used all 4 and just twisted the ends together at the balun???
Just curious; I'm not an antenna guy, so I really have no idea on the design of these devices.


First, I'm a cheapskate, so I wouldn't waste 3 wires, I can make 3 more antennas with them!! :D But also, having 4 separate conductors, separated by their insulation, *may* act like having four elements even though they're tied together. I dunno if it'd be significant or not, I'm not an expert either... I have seen that multi-turn loops are sized differently.
 
That's looks great. I will give this a try next week when I have some time off.

Thanks so much Bill,
Paul
 
And to think people made fun of my AM loops. :scratch2:

attachment.php
 
Okay, I made another one last night. For this one, I just stapled the wire directly onto an interior wall, in the same 30 inch by 30 inch square. Like my first one,I oriented this one in a sqaure orientation (with the top and bottom sides parallel to the floor) rather than the diamond orientation like Paul C did (nice work, Paul!) but next time I may try the diamond orientation.

The reception was DEFINATELY an improvement over the dipole I had been using. More stations, less hiss. The tuner this antenna was hooked up to doesn't have a signal meter, but the result was certainly better than the standard wire dipole.

The attic location is better than the interior wall, though: it's higher, and there's less attenuation from the walls.
 
I tried it out moments ago. My SX-3900 has had a stinky tuner section for as long as I've had it. I've tweaked it occasionally and gotten anywhere from mildly decent to good reception from it, but it always slips back to stinky.

With this antenna....it still sucks. But it seems quieter between stations with the mute off, and seems more stable. I'll try the antenna on a known good unit for grins and see how that works out.
 
Obviously, this antenna can't work miracles...an indoor antenna can't compensate for a poor location (my house sits in gently rolling hills, for example), and it can't compensate for tuner difficulties. I'm just glad that it was able to boost reception on my bedroom receiver. Before, with the dipole or with rabbit ears, I couldn't get a single station to light up more than 5 LED's on the signal strength meter. Now I have many stations that go to a full 7 out of 7 LED's. Still can't get full strength on a jazz station, perhaps the terrain isn't conducive to good reception.

I've seen sites onthe 'net that show variations on this antenna that add more elements to make it much more directional, with even higher gain.
 
I just made one out of a torn apart CAT5 cable.
30 inches on each leg.

I have a 120 element on a rotor 25 feet off the roof and I do NOT understand why this works better than that...but, hung from a nail on my porch...this little homemade ugly thing blows it out of the water.
...and I have an amplifier on the roof antenna.
Had I not just seen this, I would not believe it.

(I am making a stronger version of this antenna now.):thmbsp:
 
How many strands of the CAT5 did you use?

1 strand CAREfully :D

I used 300 ladder line under a window and into the tuner direct so there was no balun.
Probably 10-12 feet of ladder line.

For non-hams out there; if you do this and use 300 ohm flat cable (ladder line it is sometimes called as slang) make sure you dont let it "sit" on anything if you can help it. It wont be night and day, but a station on the verge of being there...might NOT be if 20 feet of your line is sitting on the ground.
In my case, where it is closed in the window is a small reception-soak, but not bad overall.
 
I used 300 ladder line under a window and into the tuner direct so there was no balun.

Actually, tuners with 300 ohm antenna terminals do have internal baluns to convert the 300 ohm signal into a usable 75 ohm signal. My old Kenwood KT-7500 only had 300 ohm terminals and an internal balun. So, I bypassed the stock antenna terminals and balun, and wired an F-type connector right to the internal tuning thingy. It works better than ever now!
 
Well I cut a piece of Cat 5 to a 10' length, plus a few inches, stripped off about an inch of insulation off all the twisted pairs and soldered them together and stapled it on the garage wall behind the receiver. I didn't have any 300 ohm hanging around to I twisted a length of speaker wire to the soldered ends and connected it to the 300 ohm taps and it does seem to work better. I'm only getting 2 out of 5 on the Pioneer needle meter, but I'm getting some Ann Arbor stations (60 miles) much better than before. I'm pretty sure I'll move it up into the garage attic and run some coax to the Pioneer to see if the extra 6' or so makes much difference. If it does, I'll try the upstairs attic or chimney to see what that does, but I'm liking what I'm hearing.
 
I don't know what effect this may have, but Cat 5 has a mutual capacitance around 14 pf/ft, according to one vendor's site. So 10 ft, with all the strands soldered together, would yield 140 pf, unless I'm missing something. I'd try going to a single strand of wire, instead of Cat 5. Antennas are mighty finicky and I'm no expert, but adding 140 pf of capacitance doesn't seem good.
 
FWIW, in theory the impedance of this antenna should be about 100 ohms, so a 75 ohm coax straight to it should work great. If you want to fine tune it for the top or bottom of the band divide 1005 by the frequency in megahertz although I don't know that you would notice the difference. Loops are fine antennas at wavelegths short enough to make them practical.
 
I don't know what effect this may have, but Cat 5 has a mutual capacitance around 14 pf/ft, according to one vendor's site. So 10 ft, with all the strands soldered together, would yield 140 pf, unless I'm missing something. I'd try going to a single strand of wire, instead of Cat 5. Antennas are mighty finicky and I'm no expert, but adding 140 pf of capacitance doesn't seem good.

I could try that, but a single Cat 5 wire seems awfully thin and frail. Would a single strand of speaker wire or lamp cord be OK? Maybe I'll run one and see how it affects my meters.
 
A single strand of speaker wire or lamp cord would be great.

I've read some 'net articles saying this loop's impedance is 300, others say 100...might be worth trying either with or without the balun. Sure would be cheaper and easier to hook the coax straight to the loop.
 
A single strand of speaker wire or lamp cord would be great.

I can vouch for that. I live some 35 miles from Cleveland and get excellent FM reception from every major station in town, and a few smaller ones as well (even on my 1965 Zenith MJ1035, which doesn't have the best FM front end or MPX decoder on earth) using only one conductor of a length of zip cord.

These days, one can usually get good FM reception in most metropolitan areas with simple antennas. This is in sharp contrast to FM's early years, when many smaller cities did not have local FM stations; the stations that were available, mostly in large cities, ran much lower power and were more difficult to receive. (There were exceptions, such as a 140-kW ERP [effective radiated power] blockbuster near Cleveland in the late 1960s, which had fantastic coverage of all northeast Ohio and probably 100 miles beyond in all directions; however, the station was ordered by the FCC some time in the 1980s, IIRC, to lower its ERP to 16kW vertical and horizontal [32kW total] to prevent interference to new stations on the same frequency [107.9 MHz] in cities such as Buffalo, Toronto, et al; this was an exceptional case, however, as most Cleveland FM stations run no more than 50kW at most.) The further away from the station the listener was located, the more difficult it became to get a decent signal (this was made worse with the advent of stereo multiplex FM in the early sixties, as stereo signals are weaker than monophonic FM signals of the same power level, again becoming weaker the further away from the transmitter the listener was). It was not uncommon in the 1950s-'60s for serious FM listeners to have large FM antennas, sometimes on rotators, on the roof of their homes or in the attic, often on the same mast as the television antenna.

BTW, I think it is a darn shame that most cable television service providers no longer provide FM stereo stations as they once did. There are areas of this country which get poor or no FM reception, either because of sheer distance from major cities or due to terrain features such as mountains, etc. that block the area from receiving much of anything (if the small town/city in question has no local or nearby FM stations). When the cable companies carried FM service, it brought city-grade FM signals to these areas, but in these days of most if not all cable operators providing no FM service (stereo or otherwise), these folks in small towns blocked from big-city FM stations will (and often do) have little or nothing much to listen to unless they forgo FM for such services as Internet radio. The latter can be an alternative to FM, but there is a catch: the fidelity of these services is only as good as the sound card in your computer and the quality of the speakers, either the ones that came with the system or the speakers in your stereo system (if you feed your computer's audio output through your system's amplifier).
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom