• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Chicago Tribune's Motormouth - Pulling the plug on AM

I usually listen to AM in the car mainly for news and occasional talk shows. I've yet to hear an FM station in my area that plays news.
 
That’s what streaming from your phone is for... well at least for the other 99.98769% Of consumers that don’t belong to audio forums :D

My 2017 didn't have a CD player or an option to add one. :(
I finally acquiesced and put some music on a USB stick.
 
That's a drag. So is no CD player. WTF.

AM is great when your driving long distances on the Interstate.

I don't miss CD players from cars nearly as much as I would miss AM or FM radio because the "convenience factor" of streaming workarounds are polar opposites.

For CD's, I find that streaming Spotify or Pandora is a lot more convenient than shuffling CD's in the car since I like to listen to a lot of different material.

For radio, however, I find that using streaming apps like TuneIn or IHeartRadio in the car (need to connect the phone to the car audio, then pull up the station on the phone) is a gazillion times less convenient than hopping into the car and hitting presets on AM/FM radio.
 
Last edited:
True, I have used it for weather updates when I've been on long distance trips. That's pretty much the only time I tune into that band.
Yep, my 2012 Honda Fit has a USB plug in the glovebox so I can plugin external gadgets
(like my iPhone and anything I can connect it to, like Qobuz or Radio Paradise).
Couldn't tell you if its got am radio since there is nothing on local AM I care to hear.
Its got FM and, I think, a CD player (factory changer) built in.
 
My 2017 didn't have a CD player or an option to add one. :(
I finally acquiesced and put some music on a USB stick.

I'm an old guy: Guess I will have to figure that one out. How many songs fit on the larger USB sticks?

** Question: Is there some other digital gizmo(s) that you can plug into the USB port that holds like 40 or 50 albums???? **
 
Is there some other digital gizmos that you can plug into the USB port that holds tons of music????
My phone always has rotating playlist’s of about 2000 songs (that I keep adding too) I keep down loaded from AMHD. It can BT or USB into the car.

Edit: I missed the old guy comment... aren’t we all ;)
 
Last edited:
I'm an old guy: Guess I will have to figure that one out. How many songs fit on the larger USB sticks?

** Question: Is there some other digital gizmo(s) that you can plug into the USB port that holds like 40 or 50 albums???? **
Literally any modern USB stick can hold 50 albums, it's not that much data.

You can get a 1 Terabyte USB stick for like $35 on Amazon. In more musical terms, that'll hold easily around 200,000 songs.

As far as other "digital gizmos" are concerned, any old working iPod or smartphone will do the trick, as well.
 
I listen to AM on my morning and evening commute. News and talk radio keep me from falling asleep.

When traveling long distances here in 'flyover' country, FM stations come into and out of range to fast when traveling the posted speed limit of 80 mph.

If I want to listen to music, I do stream from my phone to the car's bluetooth.
 
I'm an old guy: Guess I will have to figure that one out. How many songs fit on the larger USB sticks?

** Question: Is there some other digital gizmo(s) that you can plug into the USB port that holds like 40 or 50 albums???? **

A 256GB thumb drive or SD card will hold ~10K FLAC files. You could probably double that amount using MP3 files.
 
Toyota and Kia are some of the car makers with no problems having AM radios. All the Prius and other Toyota hybrids have AM radios, including the Prime plug-in versions that can drive in straight electric mode. Kia Niro EV versions have AM.
These are probably intended for a world market where AM is still relevant.
 
These are probably intended for a world market where AM is still relevant.

Those examples seem to take away the foundational argument that AM is being eliminated because electrical interference in EV's is too difficult to overcome. If they are eliminating it simply because they've deemed that AM is irrelevant, rather than because of technical reasons, it would be really refreshing if the manufacturers just admitted that.
 
These are probably intended for a world market where AM is still relevant.

I was talking about North America versions. It also likely easy enough with radios today, to just not show a particular radio band on the touchscreen, if desired.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom