• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Chinese moving coils

Register to hide this ad
I've seen some rave about some of them, in the case of the cheaper ones usually with the caveat you need to retip because the generator is awesome but the cantilever assembly it comes with is horrible. Considering the prices I don't see the point, they are not that cheap compared to something like Denon DL-103, Audio-Technica or Ortofon base models etc. and with those companies you know what you are getting. The couple chinese brands who have somewhat established themselves really don't seem that different to western or japanese small manufacturers, ie. prices mostly start from 500 moneys or so and you get for your money doesn't seem that different to anybody else.

Just my two cents, but if you are looking for the cheap as peanuts giant killer I don't think it has come out yet and I doubt it will, unless some super rich chinese person with vast experience in the chinese manufacturing economy happens to be a hardcore vinyl audiophile and wants to make it happen as an extravagant hobby and maybe bring back boron pipe cantilevers while they're at it :) It's a niche market, there's a lot more money to be made elsewhere.
 
Only SKYANALOG.

The SKYANALOG P-1G (Green) is absolutely superb.

A real truth machine that restored the value to a big pile of original pressings that I had previously decided were well past their prime.

Nothing restores worn grooves, but a few carts seem to be able to find the sweet-spot and minimise the grief. The SKYANALOG is one of them.

If you are looking for a truly neutral cartridge for this kind of money, the SKYANALOG should be at the top of your list.

Worth noting too: SKYANALOG's rebuild service also installed a brand-new Boron Cantilever and a 5/15um Elliptical on our damaged DENON DL-110. Wow!

stereoNET Review: SKYANALOG P-1G MC Phono Cartridge (China)
 
I’ve reviewed a Skyanalog model. Its sound quality was very good but its tracking abilities were appalling.

It had a 1.2g recommended tracking force but even at 2g, the low notes of a dub reggae track would have it leaping out of the groove.
 
Only SKYANALOG.

The SKYANALOG P-1G (Green) is absolutely superb.

A real truth machine that restored the value to a big pile of original pressings that I had previously decided were well past their prime.

Nothing restores worn grooves, but a few carts seem to be able to find the sweet-spot and minimise the grief. The SKYANALOG is one of them.

If you are looking for a truly neutral cartridge for this kind of money, the SKYANALOG should be at the top of your list.

Worth noting too: SKYANALOG's rebuild service also installed a brand-new Boron Cantilever and a 5/15um Elliptical on our damaged DENON DL-110. Wow!

stereoNET Review: SKYANALOG P-1G MC Phono Cartridge (China)
Interesting that it took this long for the Chinese manufacturers to start making higher-end MC cartridges. Now, to see about their lifespan.

:)
 
Why get a Skyanalog LOMC cart with a very simple elliptical stylus on boron cantilever for almost €600 when for less or the same money you can get an AT LOMC with a vastly superior MicroLine stylus (either AT-OC9XML or AT-33PTG/II) on boron cantilever.
MicroLine stylii have both vastly superior tracking (tracing) performance and have a longer lifespan over which the sound deteriorates less compared to a simple 5/15 elliptical stylus.

SkyAnalog does carry Microline stylii but only in their top tier models: Skyanalog Diamond 25th MC and Skyanalog Reference MC, from which the cheapest starts at €3k!!!
That shows how highly they rate a Microline stylus (otherwise they wouldn't put them in their €3k and €6k top models), which you can get at Audio technica on LOMC on boron cantilever under €500 (AT-OC9XML)...so 6 times as cheap.
That is some difference......
TBH I don't get why MC cartridges are still sold with simple elliptical stylii nowadays as they track audibly worse and have less stylus life.
 
Last edited:
I have the relatively inexpensive Zhige ZG-102. While audio forum denizen and retipper Cafe Latte Chris has derided the cantilevers and styluses on these as ‘junk’ (while lauding the engines), nevertheless it tracks excellently and the sound is brilliant. I would say better than a Denon DL-103, for instance. I will PM you the link to the one I purchased for $250 CAD on aliexpress if you wish.
 
Why get a Skyanalog LOMC cart with a very simple elliptical stylus on boron cantilever for almost €600 when for less or the same money you can get an AT LOMC with a vastly superior MicroLine stylus (either AT-OC9XML or AT-33PTG/II) on boron cantilever.

I can only answer your question for myself.

Firstly, if you shop around, you can do a lot better on the pricing.

Secondly, I don't believe that the stylus profile is the only ingredient to good sound.

I think the SKYANALOG dampening system plays a big part in their cartridges' performance - both sonic and tracking, which I found to be unassailable.

Every professional review on the planet praised the SKYANALOG P-1G (Green) tracking as one of its great strengths. It is! :thumbsup:

That said, not all elliptical styli are the same. A boron cantilever with a 5/15um nude stylus - a la SKYANALOG - is quite a different animal to the needle you would take home on (say) an Audio Technica AT-VM95E.

Worth noting that SKYANALOG only uses imported cantilevers/styli on their in-house models, but I cannot comment on their vast OEM carts, in that regard.

I hold a strong suspicion that the budget SHIGE carts are also made by SKYANALOG. Just sayin'.

1781014087638.png
 
I can only answer your question for myself.

Firstly, if you shop around, you can do a lot better on the pricing.

Secondly, I don't believe that the stylus profile is the only ingredient to good sound.

I think the SKYANALOG dampening system plays a big part in their cartridges' performance - both sonic and tracking, which I found to be unassailable.

Every professional review on the planet praised the SKYANALOG P-1G (Green) tracking as one of its great strengths. It is! :thumbsup:

That said, not all elliptical styli are the same. A boron cantilever with a 5/15um nude stylus - a la SKYANALOG - is quite a different animal to the needle you would take home on (say) an Audio Technica AT-VM95E.

Worth noting that SKYANALOG only uses imported cantilevers/styli on their in-house models, but I cannot comment on their vast OEM carts, in that regard.

I hold a strong suspicion that the budget SHIGE carts are also made by SKYANALOG. Just sayin'.

View attachment 3779559
I wonder if it’s the other way around - Zhige makes SkyAnalog?
 
I dont think thry are great value compared what else is out there.
It is 5200 Aus dollars before you get one with a decent stylus, you can buy a lot of other great brands for that kind of money.
The ebay cheap Chinese MCs are great apart the horrible stylus.
I bought one for fun and after a retip it is a great cartridge.
Chris
 
I dont think thry are great value compared what else is out there.
It is 5200 Aus dollars before you get one with a decent stylus, you can buy a lot of other great brands for that kind of money.
The ebay cheap Chinese MCs are great apart the horrible stylus.
I bought one for fun and after a retip it is a great cartridge.
Chris

This MUST be a typo.
 
I dont think thry are great value compared what else is out there.
It is 5200 Aus dollars before you get one with a decent stylus, you can buy a lot of other great brands for that kind of money.
The ebay cheap Chinese MCs are great apart the horrible stylus.
I bought one for fun and after a retip it is a great cartridge.
Chris
Why such a discrepancy? Seems the Chinese mc makers could put a better stylus on it and hit a sweet spot price wise.
 
Why such a discrepancy? Seems the Chinese mc makers could put a better stylus on it and hit a sweet spot price wise.
Apparently not....
Skyanalog only puts Microline stylii on their two top models, and they are not exactly cheap:
Skyanalog Reference MC is €3k
Skyanalog Diamond 25th MC is €6k

With these prices they compete with top tier western and japanese cartridge makers like VdH, BMS, Clearaudio, Dynavector, Zyx you name it. Brands who have proven track records and service going back decades (and some of these brands are even consideren wildly expensive). Together with that pretty much everything else in their portfolio is fitted out with a cheap mediocre elliptical diamond.... That brand just doesn't make any sense to me.
I mean, imho an MC with elliptical diamond shouldn't cost more than €400 or so (and for that you should also expect local service and warranty, so dealer prices, not some ebayer halfway across the world), especially as an elliptical diamond has a very limited stylus life and performs audibly less than the more complicated grinds.
I mean, an BMS MC silver/gold (with nude rectangle shank elliptical diamond) is €400 dealer price and then you have a BMS cartridge, a proven brand, not some chinese newcomer.
Next step up is the BMS ACE, and that already has a microridge stylus on boron cantilever. Thats €1k (dealer price, so local, with local warranty/service etc). For sure not as cheap as lots of AT MC's with microridge on boron cantilever, but BMS is a Swiss manufacturer and that has it's costs....
So how in the world can a chinese manufacturer charge €3k for that? That brand is just way overpriced for all of their models.
 
Last edited:
Wow, that is pricey coming from Chine. One would think that with still dead cheap (hand) labor in the PRC, especially items like MC phono carts would be way lower priced. Even an entry level / price point / handmade in Holland Van Den Hul MC cart is more affordable starting at €999,- retail.

Addendum; I'm no MC know it all. Not even close! I haven't owned a MC cart in my entire life, but I have heard several MC doing their thing.
But these MC prices coming from the PRC, surprises me also.
 
Last edited:
Wow, that is pricey coming from Chine. One would think that with still dead cheap (hand) labor in the PRC, especially items like MC phono carts would be way lower priced. Even an entry level / price point / handmade in Holland Van Den Hul MC cart is more affordable starting at €999,- retail.
Maybe it's because Audio-Technica cartridge prices are very high in China (due to tariffs and miscellaneous local taxes)?

So these Chinese cartridges are priced mostly to compete against imports within China. And not worldwide, yet.

:idea:
 
Why such a discrepancy? Seems the Chinese mc makers could put a better stylus on it and hit a sweet spot price wise.

This question only matters if you are someone that believes that the only decent stylus profiles are some sort of ML.

I'm not one of these believers.

Our SHELTER 501 II with Boron/Alloy Cantilever and Elliptical Stylus is a superb cartridge.

Having lived with a SKYANALOG P-1G (Green) for 3-months - and a DENON DL-110 rebuilt with the identical imported Boron Cantilever and 5/15um Elliptical Stylus - for over a year now - I feel qualified to say so.
 
Back
Top Bottom