• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

chinese ultrasonic record cleaner looks decent...

Well, for starters I don't need to clean multiple records. I only have the one, "Who let the Dogs Out" by the BAHA MEN.

Who who, who, who-who!!!

That song rocks, especially on vintage McIntosh.

Also, offer me a free screwdriver and I'll run a marathon. Or listen to your ex-wife complain about her co-workers. Or both.

I kid.



A big shout-out to Fishead for having the knowledge and willing to share it with us.

I frequently drive from ABQ to Durango. Happy to share a bottle with you.



Yes, there is a lot of misinformation about solutions (WD40 anyone, how about pumpkin spice vagasil???)

I'm still searching for a good record cleaner. I think owning an Ultrasonic might come in handy for other things. Not a joke, I just spent an hour dismantling and cleaning a chandelier using dawn and a riedel sommelier wine glass polishing cloth. I suspect had I an Ultrasonic, those crystals could have gone in the hopper. No more snaps or pops.

I am open to suggestion on a good ultrasonic cleaner that isn't going to kill my budget. The noise doesn't bother me, I would prolly separate the body and the tank and spray expanding foam until it suited down.
 
Last edited:
I got one like the complete kit above about a month ago for $205. Have been away and hope to have it up and running by next week.
 
I put just under a grand into my US set up. 10L tank, @ETLS spindle system (best there is out there IMO), heavy duty motor, two large bundles of MF towels, 25 gallons of D H2O, 40PSI hand sprayer, Discdoc brushes, power interrupter (makes motor spin slowly, at any speed I choose up to limits of motor), Thunderon brush (de stat after vacuum), stand for holding tank and spindle set-up, vacuum, a first round of chemicals, 0.005 micron filter and pump system for cleaning fluid.
I wonder if you could do 6 LPs at a time w the 10L tanks.
I do 7 with plenty of space to spare, in front, rear and in between LPs.

edit to add:
Looking at receipts it looks like it was closer to $700 all in. And the puck system is now coming down in price according to AK seller.
For drying I use both dish drains and an old vertical CD holder I lay flat. I can wash and dry 28 or so in a run.
 
Last edited:
I put just under a grand into my US set up. 10L tank, @ETLS spindle system (best there is out there IMO), heavy duty motor, two large bundles of MF towels, 25 gallons of D H2O, 40PSI hand sprayer, Discdoc brushes, power interrupter (makes motor spin slowly, at any speed I choose up to limits of motor), Thunderon brush (de stat after vacuum), stand for holding tank and spindle set-up, vacuum, a first round of chemicals, 0.005 micron filter and pump system for cleaning fluid.

I do 7 with plenty of space to spare, in front, rear and in between LPs.

edit to add:
Looking at receipts it looks like it was closer to $700 all in. And the puck system is now coming down in price according to AK seller.
For drying I use both dish drains and an old vertical CD holder I lay flat. I can wash and dry 28 or so in a run.

28 at a pop is more the production I'm looking for. At 7 a cycle, would be just over an hour to do 28 LPs?

I have a space for discs to be cleaned or recleaned.
At about 50, I get after them. A couple at a time would take forever.
I'm not terribly patient.
 
With my 15 liter tank, I have more than enough room to do 10 at a time, but i set up my spindle set to run 8. If you have only 50 albums, that shouldn't take more than a couple hours max.
 
do we all agree...TergiKleen is the best thing to add to your distilled water?

I use a 14" round cake pan to rinse, also in distilled water.
 
Last edited:
28 at a pop is more the production I'm looking for. At 7 a cycle, would be just over an hour to do 28 LPs?

I have a space for discs to be cleaned or recleaned.
At about 50, I get after them. A couple at a time would take forever.
I'm not terribly patient.
From beginning to end, when I first turn on machine and get a stack ready to go until all in drying rack (drying can be a long time weather dependent) it is over an hour and closer to 90 minutes it seems. I run 7 at a time for 15 minutes. Then if I am in good practice I can do secondary wash and rinse in 15 minutes while next batch is spinning in US. It takes a few minutes to load and unload spindle carefully. As I have been out of practice I can't seem to get all 7 done in time so they pile up and after third run I have about 10-12 in sink awaiting secondary wash. Then I run the filter for about 10 minutes before a drain and refill. I run water through filter into a separate tub after 10 minutes recycling through filter. Then wash the tank and put water back in. After several runs (100+ records) I may discard water if it looks too dirty. It all depends what I have been washing.
 
Last edited:
After several runs (100+ records) I may discard water if it looks too dirty.

At this point (subject to change) I plan to run the LPs thru the Spin Clean, vac, then the US so the LPs would be pretty clean before the US.
Experience will tell if thats beneficial or a waste of time.
I think it might have value esp on used LPs. If gotten some pretty cruddy ones that clean up fine but its a lot cheaper to change out the Spin Clean water than a 10 L tank.
 
At this point (subject to change) I plan to run the LPs thru the Spin Clean, vac, then the US so the LPs would be pretty clean before the US.
Experience will tell if thats beneficial or a waste of time.
I think it might have value esp on used LPs. If gotten some pretty cruddy ones that clean up fine but its a lot cheaper to change out the Spin Clean water than a 10 L tank.
Shocking amounts of crud are in bottom of tank after washing pre rinsed LPs. I like to use a very gentle pre rinse so as not to scratch depending on what is on there.
Hey Dfunghi, how do you filter your water?
Thanks
I bought a very small pump , some hose and a 0.005 micron filter. I may be able to find the info on Amazon if you like. Not hard to find that stuff on web if you search. Filters end up being the biggest cost as you need to replace them.
 
At this point (subject to change) I plan to run the LPs thru the Spin Clean, vac, then the US so the LPs would be pretty clean before the US.
Experience will tell if thats beneficial or a waste of time.
I think it might have value esp on used LPs. If gotten some pretty cruddy ones that clean up fine but its a lot cheaper to change out the Spin Clean water than a 10 L tank.
If nothing comes off the record then there is no point in using the US. I change my water every few months. The Tergikleen has a flocculant so the water stays pretty good for a while, just the bottom gets a sort of a film.
 
Since Portland has a big wine, beer and distilling scene, I think I can get the equivalent filters locally, but I would not have known which porosity without your help, so thank you.
Robert
 
OK. I think I'm doing these + Turgikleen + a Quat cleaner (got the detergents from the sticky in the TT forum).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GFQ6XKR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2SIAVVEK1K0JX&psc=1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasonic...Stand-Liftable-Disc-Cleaner-Rack/143954230380

That puts me at $240 for a 10 litre tank and 6 LP rotating spindle.
Cleaners are additional but they're used in small concentrations so they should last some time.

I don't think I can get much cheaper for a 6LP at a time set up.
I'll have to look at filters in the future.
 
One other thing I forgot to mention. I don't know if the heater in my tank is poor or if they all take hours to get warm, but a couple hours before a session I throw an aquarium heater into the tank to get the water up to temp. If yours is really slow like mine you may find this helpful. If yours heats up right away let me know that too as perhaps my heater is defective.
 
Back
Top Bottom