• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Choice between sota sapphire and SL1200MKII

g-fan

New Member
As the title says I have the opertunity to pick up a sota sapphire with a Jelco SA-370H tonearm. As of now I have a Technics SL1200MKII will I be moving up or does it not make sense and should just stick with the Technics. Any thoughts and comments would be welcome.
 
Register to hide this ad
As the title says I have the opertunity to pick up a sota sapphire with a Jelco SA-370H tonearm. As of now I have a Technics SL1200MKII will I be moving up or does it not make sense and should just stick with the Technics. Any thoughts and comments would be welcome.

Arm to arm comparison, the Jelco SA-370H tonearm is several steps upwards. :thumbsup:
 
If you are truly happy with the Technics and it's a top performer, my recommendation would be to keep it. If you are like some of us who own more than one turntable, I would buy it and add it to your system. I have three turntables in my system and I love all three for their unique sound... A belt drive, and idler drive, and a direct drive. The direct drive is getting repaired and will be back in my system very soon.
 
I have the SOTA SAPPHIRE. I would have to know more about that SOTA to advise you. Any photos?
Also, is the Technics still in production? How old is it?
 
As the title says I have the opertunity to pick up a sota sapphire with a Jelco SA-370H tonearm. As of now I have a Technics SL1200MKII will I be moving up or does it not make sense and should just stick with the Technics. Any thoughts and comments would be welcome.

I don't know how much the SOTA SAPPHIRE/ Jelco SA-370H combo will cost you, but for the price could you put an even better arm on the Technics? I believe the SA-370H is the lowest priced Jelco arm. The SL-1200MK2 is a good deck and many who have replaced the tonearm say it transforms the deck.
 
I have the SOTA SAPPHIRE. I would have to know more about that SOTA to advise you. Any photos?
Also, is the Technics still in production? How old is it?

Technics quit selling turntable back in the 80s or 90s, and just recently got back into audio last year with an amp and speakers, and they introduced a turntable like the SL-1200 series with a huge price tag.
 
The Sota I am looking to trade some extra gear for I do not need. I have read good things about how quite the Sota is. I have three or for turntables now but I am looking to finish my main system and sell all my extra equipment. I just want to enjoy the music and not collect equipment any more taking up to much space. Anyone know if it will be an improvement?
 
Technics quit selling turntable back in the 80s or 90s, and just recently got back into audio last year with an amp and speakers, and they introduced a turntable like the SL-1200 series with a huge price tag.

The SL-1200 was manufactured until 2010.

I love my SOTA and prefer the Star models with vacuum. If you are inclined, SOTA will upgrade a Sapphire to the Star level by adding the vacuum hold down and refreshing any parts that might need it.

The SOTA's use a sapphire bearing which is very fragile and expensive to replace. Spin the platter with a finger and feel for any grinding or friction. Before moving the table, make sure to tighten the two transit screws on the bottom, on either side of the center hub. (3/32" hex head allen wrench will get it done.) SOTA recommends tightening at least one of these transit screws before moving the table even across the room.

You'll also want to remove the lead shot under the tonearm board before packing and moving.

Anyone know if it will be an improvement?

@4-2-7 has multiple SOTAs and a Technics 1200 and could give you direct experience between the two.
 
The Sota, given the differences in original list prices, should be a few steps over a stock SL-1200. Now don't go by me. I'm part of the fringe that is destined to leave no part of their SL-1200 unmolested, er, un-modded :)
 
As the title says I have the opportunity to pick up a sota sapphire with a Jelco SA-370H tonearm. As of now I have a Technics SL1200MKII will I be moving up or does it not make sense and should just stick with the Technics. Any thoughts and comments would be welcome.

I'd put the 370H on the SL-1200. It's a great arm.

jeff
 
Let's see the arm is better than the Technics arm and the table is better than the SL-1200 II so I'm thinking you put those two positive steps together and it might, just maybe, be a tiny bit better in everything except torque to use a cleaning device. Or maybe a whole lot better.
 
SOTA as long as its in proper working shape. But as fair warning, the motors and controllers for the 80's and 90's era ones are not kept in stock by SOTA. If you have to retrofit the new ones into an older table its going to be an expensive repair bill. Either that, or you need the services of a tech savvy fellow to make the repair. But if in good working nick, I would take the SOTA any day of the week over a Technics 1200.

But it deserves a better arm than that Jelco also.....just a saying.

Regards
Mister Pig
 
Well, this is funny.

Long ago I asked about putting a SA750D on a SL1200 and the resounding opinion was that it would be a side-grade at best.

Now the opinion is that the SA-370H is a solid upgrade to the technics arm?

This hobby of ours..
 
Nop. I happily opted to stick with the Technics arm based on the reception in my original thread.

But we digress. g-fan has a decision of his (or her) own to make.
 
Thank you everyone for the help. The only thing wrong with the Sota is the top it is cracked. Everything else is in great shape. Yea the motor is a concern if there is ever an issue with it and trying to replace it. All told I paid maybe 50. For the stuff I am trading for it. So I am going to pick it up.
 
Sota Has great customer service, basically a family running it. I'm sure they'd help you with any issues you might have in the future. I'd definitely go for the SOTA, problems be damned, not to diminish how great of a turntable the 1200 is.
 
Is the platter bearing on the Sota in good condition? They're delicate if poorly packed or moved without following the manual precaution. Is the motor in good order?, the older Sota motors are unavailable and the only option is a motor upgrade by the factory. Sota is a superb turntable but a more delicate one. Bear that in mind when making a decision. Some people may be better served by the Technics, especially those who need heavier duty options.
 
Back
Top Bottom