• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Christian Music Playlist

Great thread. I saw Handel's Messiah, the first orchestral movement, on Sunday - live. Not everyone was Christian there - many music and singing lovers. Good music moves you.

Lenny Kravitz has some good God tunes. I need truth and I need love.

Ken
 
If it hasn't been mentioned, The Del McCoury Band ~ The Promised Land, is a fine gospel/bluegrass recording.
 
Prince has a few "The Cross" comes to mind. "Creeping Death" from Metallica's Ride the Lightning is good one.
 
Some of my favorite Christian music is Petra's earlier stuff, with lead singer Greg X. Volz. Their music with John Schlitt is pretty good, but just got harder, and not necessarily any better. Also, DC Talk music from the mid to late 90's is (for the most part) fantastic. If I need to rock out, it's either the songs Jesus Freak or Supernatural. Third Day is exceptionally good, and is my favorite current band. I especially like their earlier stuff; it was a little grittier, and had more of a southern rock flavor. Their recent albums have been more AC/power ballad, but I love it when they ROCK!!!

Also, Rich Mullins (folk-rock) was a musical genius. He passed away several years ago, while still in his prime, but his music is regarded as some of the best ever from Christian artists.

As far as modern Christian pop/rock goes, the production quality is lightyears beyond what it used to be. And, there is a tremendous amount of new talent, especially in the alt/indie scene. I am lucky (or blessed!) that I get two all-Christian-alternative-all-the-time FM stations where I live, so I get to hear a lot of the latest and greatest songs. There are some clunkers, to be sure, but lots of great stuff.
 
Some of my favorite Christian music is Petra's earlier stuff, with lead singer Greg X. Volz. Their music with John Schlitt is pretty good, but just got harder, and not necessarily any better.

I liked the John Schlitt stuff.......with Petra and Head East. Good voice. Let me add a few more that haven't been mentioned yet, Phil Keaggy. Great guitar player. And Michael Card. When I was younger, my mother drug us to see this guy live. I liked him ever since. Kinda folky, but a great songwriter. My mom used to listen to a group called Harvest. I can't remember any songs, I seem to recall they were decent.
-Derek:music:
 
My favorite Petra / John Schlitt albums were This Means War & Beyond Belief. They started losing me with Wakeup Call. There were some good songs on it, but the album as a whole didn't capture me like the previous ones.

Here's a funny Petra story. On their Beat The System album is the song, "God Gave Rock And Roll", by Gene Simmons. When I was in high school, one of my best friends was a big KISS fan. I gave him a Petra tape to copy for me, and he freaked out when he heard a Christian band do a cover of a KISS song!
 
You want "old timey?"

Tennessee Ernie Ford.

What a great voice! Easy to find his vinyl at GW too.

I've got a cut of Mavis Staples of a Stephen Foster song that brings tears to my eyes sometimes.
 
Two more excellent examples from the late 60s & early 70s:

Search Party - Montgomery Chapel, 1969

Moody & mesmerizing Christian folk rock, most of the songs written by a middle-aged Catholic priest.

Guitar Ensemble - The You-N-You, 1971

An all-time favorite inspirational visionary late night trip.
 
For hardcore I recommend Project 86.
Also check out a band called The Listening. They are the best sounding christian rock band I have ever heard. Positive Christian lyrics without seeming over-religious in your face. When I first heard them I thought - wow this is an awesome alternative band- then somebody told me they were a Christian band.
 
I gave up on Moira with 'Misty Eyed Adventures'. Are you saying that I should re-look at her solo stuff. I was a Clannad fan from way back.


Christian:
Daily Planet - one hit wonder but a really good album.
 
Wow, I had no idea this thread would come back from the dead (to keep the resurrection theme going).

I've sampled a bunch of the stuff listed the first time around and a little caught my fancy but I didn't act on much. I did pick up a Greatst Hits of Whitecross just for fun. :D

I've since gotten a couple of discs. I got "Swing Praise" which I mentioned in the OP and it's pretty good stuff. Really hopping, neo-swing a la Zoot Suit Riot. I like it.

I've also borrowed a couple of discs like Switchfoot which was musically very good but didn't really grab me. I did pick up Run Kid Run. I'm not sure how big they are but they're local to me and pretty good.

I've also been helping out some kids from my church get their band going. They're called Mustard Seed and they have a myspace page with some of their tunes at:
http://www.myspace.com/mustardseedband
Most of their recordings are ones that I lifted from tapes of Sunday morning services. They're about 17 years old and writing their own stuff. Not too bad, considering.

Right now I'm on my yearly Christmas music kick. I love the music of the season so everything else gets back-burnered (can I verbify that?). I just picked up Ella Fitzgerald's Christmas album and it's great. I guess most of what I'm listening to is Christian by definition of Christmas but I tend to lump it seperately in my head.

Thanks for getting this going again and I'll start looking at the new suggestions. I'm pretty sure Matthew (the guitarist behind Mustard Seed) has some Skillet so I'll hit him up.

I do have some Grits, which I understand is a derivation of DC Talk. I also have some Handel and Bach, and yes they definitely know their stuff. I have a version of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring by Leo Kottke that is simply amazing.

One more out of the ordinary that I've had forever and just didn't think about is Shinehead. He's one of the forerunners of dancehall, being born in Jamaica and raised in NY. I first heard him back in the late 80's on MTV. At the time he came across more as just a squeaky clean lyricist but his 2nd album, The Real Rock, is overtly Christian. Check out the title track if you get a chance. A little campy maybe but I like it.


Ray
 
Christian music

1. In my SACD player now is Johann Sebastian Bach, The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues, The Four Antiphonal Organs of the Cathedral of Freiburg, Played Simultaneously by E. Power Biggs. Sony Classical SS 87983 (SACD).

2. Also recommended: "Misa Coiolla, A dynamic spiritual performance of the Catholic Mass based on the rhythms and traditions of Hispanic America sung by Los Fronterizos." Philips Stereo PCC 619 (long playing record). The Fi is Hi.

3. Leonard Bernstein's / Mass. Columbia Masterworks M2 31008 (long playing record)
 
Amy Grant is another. Excellent voice, well-done recordings. I picked up her "Collection" LP in ye olde curiousity shop (a.k.a. GW store) for no good reason at all. I was immediately impressed with "Stay For Awhile", a minor masterpiece (though it has no obvious Christian connection). It's become a standard of sorts for its clarity and well balanced sound; the first thing I play in a listening session.

The rest of the tracks on the album do have a real Christian connection, and I think they're well done, even if the words are mostly bosh. Angels don't watch over me...more like demons trip me up.

As for J.S. Bach, STAY AWAY from any live concerts, unless you have a couple thousand $$ to spare. Listen to that stuff live and you'll come back, hate your speakers, and long for better ones.
 
Amy Grant is another.

I have Legacy, which is a great remake of classic stuff. And I have her Christmas album which is fantastic. Good stuff. :thmbsp:


As for J.S. Bach, STAY AWAY from any live concerts, unless you have a couple thousand $$ to spare. Listen to that stuff live and you'll come back, hate your speakers, and build better ones.

Had to fix that for you. :yes:

Ray
 
Back
Top Bottom