• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

"Chrylser" + "Imperial" 1964-1966

This reminds me of an old B-52s song "Love Shack": "got me a car that's as big as a whale" and "got me a Chrysler, it seats about twenty" and later on in the song "Hop in my Chrysler it's as big as a whale and its about to set sail"


with lyrics:
 
Chrysler's push button transmission was operated by a cable that moved the selector arm on the transmission.
Ford did a push button thing for the Edsel, the buttons were switches that drove an electric motor to run the selector on the transmission. I can't imagine a chunky electric motor hanging on the side of the transmission was the ultimate in reliability.

 
Back when Riviera, T-Bird, Eldorado were considered sports models. Those were fun but didn't have the full boat experience of a real land yacht, full size Lincoln and Cadillac. When late model, in their prime, they were masters of the road.
Open Road Pleasure begins at 230" and 5500 pounds!
 
Ford did a push button thing for the Edsel, the buttons were switches that drove an electric motor to run the selector on the transmission. I can't imagine a chunky electric motor hanging on the side of the transmission was the ultimate in reliability.

Speaking of which.....
I had '59 Ford Skyliner hide-a-way hardtop! It has about 7 motors, 30 limit switches, and other doo-dads to make it work. While I owned the car '67-68 it all worked flawlessly!
 
I was talking to someone with one of those, and she told me there was basically one guru that could fix them if something went seriously wrong with it. Apparently getting the parts all timed correctly was very tedious.
 
The reason they disappeared was because the was no simple way to activate the parking pawl with a cable- they have to be forced into place. There was no button for PARK, you had to shift to neutral and remember to apply the parking brake !

Hi krautmaster,

I'm not trying to play know it all here, , , , nor trying to one up your knowledge, but my family did own one of those cars "back in the day" and I clearly remember "park" as having been engaged by a lever such as is shown in this pic I shamelessly stole from the internet. Yes indeed, applying the parking brake before engaging the park lever made it far easier to release the parking pawl if it was parked on any kind of steep incline, but for day to day non hilly terrain parking the park lever worked well.

1763079504538.png
 
Hi krautmaster,

I'm not trying to play know it all here, , , , nor trying to one up your knowledge, but my family did own one of those cars "back in the day" and I clearly remember "park" as having been engaged by a lever such as is shown in this pic I shamelessly stole from the internet. Yes indeed, applying the parking brake before engaging the park lever made it far easier to release the parking pawl if it was parked on any kind of steep incline, but for day to day non hilly terrain parking the park lever worked well.

View attachment 3633570
I remember that arrangement on a 64 Dodge Dart wagon except they were vertical. I'll add, that Dart was tough, engine and transmission, slant six. Belonged to a friends dad who bought it new, only option was the automatic, not even a radio, we installed an eight track player and six by nine door speakers. Guys father could have bought anything he wanted, Bank of America executive, had a floor of his own in the Bank of America building, downtown Los Angeles, and that was the car he owned... a banker, go figure. His son abused the hell out of it and it never complained.
 
Last edited:
Speaking of which.....
I had '59 Ford Skyliner hide-a-way hardtop! It has about 7 motors, 30 limit switches, and other doo-dads to make it work. While I owned the car '67-68 it all worked flawlessly!
My dad was a Ford service maager in that era. He said they frequently needed adjustment. The problem often was that some switch meant to be a safety would stop the thing in mid operation.
 
This reminds me of an old B-52s song "Love Shack": "got me a car that's as big as a whale" and "got me a Chrysler, it seats about twenty" and later on in the song "Hop in my Chrysler it's as big as a whale and its about to set sail"




Hi krautmaster,

I'm not trying to play know it all here, , , , nor trying to one up your knowledge, but my family did own one of those cars "back in the day" and I clearly remember "park" as having been engaged by a lever such as is shown in this pic I shamelessly stole from the internet. Yes indeed, applying the parking brake before engaging the park lever made it far easier to release the parking pawl if it was parked on any kind of steep incline, but for day to day non hilly terrain parking the park lever worked well.

View attachment 3633570
The ones we had didn't have park, IIRC the more expensive models had that (maybe)
Hi krautmaster,

I'm not trying to play know it all here, , , , nor trying to one up your knowledge, but my family did own one of those cars "back in the day" and I clearly remember "park" as having been engaged by a lever such as is shown in this pic I shamelessly stole from the internet. Yes indeed, applying the parking brake before engaging the park lever made it far easier to release the parking pawl if it was parked on any kind of steep incline, but for day to day non hilly terrain parking the park lever worked well.

View attachment 3633570
IIRC, only some (more expensive models) had that, our Valiant only had R, N, D, 2, 1. Your pic may be of a non-Mopar vehicle (?- other companies had push button transmissions too). I seem to remember that Mopar's shift buttons were top to bottom or in a quad, I don't remember ones going straight left to right, but I'm old and my memory is faulty at times !
Screenshot 2025-11-13 at 23-44-34 1962 Plymouth Valiant Sigmet 200 2-Door Hardtop (4 of 5) Fli...png
 
Last edited:

71abf7c71dfb45ddbac94a47b700fc3b.jpg

Hi Again :)

And again, I'm not looking to belabor the point, but if you look closely at your pic, the park lever is at the bottom left of the dashboard (on the lower right is a similar lever labeled "warm" for the heater) .

Just know that I'm not being nit picky here, it's just that I'm plenty old enough to have seen (and driven) several of the push button shift cars, and I can't recall ever having seen one that didn't have the park lever in one location or other ;)

1763117406821.png

Further info on the Valiant park lever;

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopa...elite62-valiant-lancer-dashboard-knob.517667/
 
In 63 or 64 Chrysler added the parking pawl lever on the dashboard, instead of having to use the parking brake. My 60 300F, 61 Fury, and the 62 Imperial I used to have, had only a parking brake. Incidentally, the parking brake is a separate drum off the end of the transmission - the parking brake does not activate the rear service brakes. The dashboard photo that initforfun posted is of a 1964 Chrysler.

The 65 Mopar TorqueFlite transmissions had conventional PRND21 shifters (either column or floor mount) but still used the cable linkage.
 

View attachment 3633780

Hi Again :)

And again, I'm not looking to belabor the point, but if you look closely at your pic, the park lever is at the bottom left of the dashboard (on the lower right is a similar lever labeled "warm" for the heater) .

Just know that I'm not being nit picky here, it's just that I'm plenty old enough to have seen (and driven) several of the push button shift cars, and I can't recall ever having seen one that didn't have the park lever in one location or other ;)

View attachment 3633781

Further info on the Valiant park lever;

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopa...elite62-valiant-lancer-dashboard-knob.517667/
Well that explains it--ours was missing the knob and we never knew what that short metal lever was for ! Just remembered that our father had a 1960 Dodge Dart Pioneer (huge ugly finned thing with a slant six) that had the transmission buttons L to R... I've had too many cars over the years to remember them all that well (40 or 50 different ones).
1960-dodge-dart-pioneer.jpg
 
Last edited:
Please, make a separate topic about push buttons for gear select...

I think we've pretty much covered it already, no need for another thread...

Yes, in such an "open ended" thread, where the title topic really isn't all that well defined anyway, and since the pushbuttons WERE a Chrysler feature in 1964, I find it rather presumptuous to demand an on topic discussion to be curtailed.

FYI, threads here in the general off topic areas are permitted a certain measure of "thread drift", provided the drift is not of an AK rulebreaking nature.

And, , , , lastly, I don't see this discussion of a 1964 Chrysler feature as being any kind of "off Topic" at all....
 
Back
Top Bottom