• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Classic 80s Black and Rosewood - Sony STR-GX9ES

Does anyone on the list know anyone that has a parts only 9 or 10?

If anyone does have a parts unit, 9 or 10, then I am looking for a speaker selector switch and accompanying parts from the front to speaker hook ups in back. My GX10ES was jury rigged to run all speakers A+B at once. No off or A only or B only.
 
So just a little update as far as this goes.

As some of you know already, over in the DIY forum I've been working on the panels and veneer and stuff. And just a little while ago, I've 'almost' finished the first of the panels. Although I made a set out of plywood and then veneered them in some plain grain veneer I found here at the house, I also ended up getting rosewood burl, and have been simultaneously working on that as well.

Still have a final gloss to put on it, but this is how it turned out:

View attachment 1199051

That's the original Sony panel, which has had the old plastic edge veneer removed, melamine 'wood' face sanded down sufficiently to bond, corners reformed, then veneered in rosewood bubinga raw veneer finished with several coats of teak oil for the moment - (and for the purists, all stuck together using hide glue). LOL

So there's one panel, now to start on the other which will be fully mirrored/bookmatched with this first one. Once all done, we'll final gloss them together.

So glad I decided against cutting down one of those crappy shelves like I was thinking. LOL
Indeed looks bitchin...Ive got mine apart now after it came back home..I sold it to a guy 2 years ago...He does a lot of business with me,and he has a new found love affair with yamaha R9's..I traded him 2 of them for the Sony back....and i am going to do the re veneer job this weekend...Diggin the panels man you did well...jam on
 
I am able to get a Sony STR-GX9ES for $200, however there is no copper in the chassis like the GX10ES, does copper chassis make a big difference ?
 
If it is in working order that is a great price. I have the GX10ES, but have heard that the GX9ES sounds very similar, although a little lower on total watts.
 
I was looking for a newer pre amp just to have a spare but the prices kind of surprised me a bit. So I got the idea to look for a Sony ES receiver, since I love my Sony 330ES power amp, and use just the pre amp section. As I figured, old receivers, even Sony ES ones, are dirt cheap. I wanted an early one, preferably a two channel one made in Japan. I actually found one and bought it on Ebay but the vendor could not find it so I had to cancel. After a week or so of research and looking I bought a STR-GX57ES, an early 4 channel surround model at 80wpc front and 25wpc rear. I saw the next model up for not much more but I wanted as simple as possible so I got the 57.

Of course it was supposed to be here Friday but Fedex did not show and changed the date to "pending", so hopefully Monday.

s-l1600.jpg


s-l1600.jpg


s-l1600.jpg


s-l1600.jpg


s-l1600.jpg


s-l1600.jpg
 
It's not going to work that way. Those input-output connections on the back panel have a fixed output level. They aren't controlled by the unit's volume knob. They're meant for some sort of adapter or can be used for an equalizer. I believe they're looped in ahead of the tone controls as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom