• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Classic 80s Black and Rosewood - Sony STR-GX9ES

That's worthy of the name System Commander for sure!

And system command it does! :D

I was skeptical that it would actually ‘learn’ a 25-year-newer remote, but by pointing the remote faces at each other (more accurately a second receiver in the bottom half of this commander) and pressing some buttons, it has successfully learned the remote to my Teac CD-P650. It already controls the receiver, and now by way of the USB connection in that Teac, my entire iPhone music library, and streaming too!
 
Well, after much searching and deliberation, I've decided the the proper way to do these side panels is to use real veneer.

Earlier this week I found a very nice candidate for a simulated wood side using a 3/4" shelf panel at HD, which would be perfect, since that's the thickness of the originals and all other pre-finished shelf candidates were too thin. But just as I was about to go to checkout, I noticed that the edgebanding on the one side was a different kind/shape than the other three (thin and perfectly flat, as opposed to thicker and rounded edge like the other three - presumably the flat being the rear of the shelf). Shown below are the top, front, and side, but the back didn't have that same edge. It's a shame, because they actually looked even nicer in person than the pic suggests (not near as textured), and were the perfect size to cut right down the middle lengthwise, then chop off the back end to exact dimensions. Only thing was, that the one edgebanding wouldn't match, and that would be the top part of the rail. Too much of a visible difference, and not cost effective if I had to buy a second shelf to have two that perfectly matched, since for only a couple bucks more (and a little extra DIY) I can do real wood veneer instead.

espresso-dolle-shelves-shelf-brackets-55213-e1_1000.jpg



So I've been searching online for veneer and have found a couple of candidates, all with enough extra to practice on before doing the final project.

I've been reading a couple veneer threads here in DIY, and see that maybe my best option is to use these original panels, heating the vinyl and edging to strip it off, and then repair the damaged corners with that machinable epoxy stuff. Then, just putting on a new veneer - this time, the real stuff.

So now comes the question...

What veneer?

All options I've selected are raw veneers (which I've been studying the correct process for applying).

There's rosewood, like the original panels.

s-l1600.jpg



But there are also burl maple, and a couple burl redwoods that could look amazing as well. And with any of these options, there would be enough left over to do the sides of a Sony ES CD player from that same era as well if I ever decided to get one, so they'd all match.

s-l1600.jpg


s-l1600.jpg


s-l1600.jpg


3BAE99E7-820E-447C-AA74-F9A713ADAD4B.jpeg

I'm usually a stickler for keeping things pretty original, so the rosewood seems to be the most true in that sense. But those burls... just wow! And I've seen some of the custom cabinets and plinths you all have posted pics of here. I have a burl veneer table that can be seen above which the receiver is sitting on, and I have to say, it sure does look good when the light hits it. Having a similarly interesting wood pattern on these side panels would be unique. (It won't be sitting on that table anyway. That's just for while I've been going through it and getting it operating.)

So I'm kinda in a limbo. I've ruled out the pre-made shelf panels, so now it's just deciding if I want nice original, or if I want custom awesome.

Any suggestions? Input? Please let me know - I'm all ears! :)

Edit: fix broken img link
 
Last edited:
So just a little update as far as this goes.

As some of you know already, over in the DIY forum I've been working on the panels and veneer and stuff. And just a little while ago, I've 'almost' finished the first of the panels. Although I made a set out of plywood and then veneered them in some plain grain veneer I found here at the house, I also ended up getting rosewood burl, and have been simultaneously working on that as well.

Still have a final gloss to put on it, but this is how it turned out:

IMG_6944.JPG

That's the original Sony panel, which has had the old plastic edge veneer removed, melamine 'wood' face sanded down sufficiently to bond, corners reformed, then veneered in rosewood bubinga raw veneer finished with several coats of teak oil for the moment - (and for the purists, all stuck together using hide glue). LOL

So there's one panel, now to start on the other which will be fully mirrored/bookmatched with this first one. Once all done, we'll final gloss them together.

So glad I decided against cutting down one of those crappy shelves like I was thinking. LOL
 
That's looks outstanding! You should be proud of yourself for tackling an unfamiliar project and the results you achieved. Those skills will come in handy for your next veneer project. :thumbsup:
 
So just a little update as far as this goes.

As some of you know already, over in the DIY forum I've been working on the panels and veneer and stuff. And just a little while ago, I've 'almost' finished the first of the panels. Although I made a set out of plywood and then veneered them in some plain grain veneer I found here at the house, I also ended up getting rosewood burl, and have been simultaneously working on that as well.

Still have a final gloss to put on it, but this is how it turned out:

View attachment 1199051

That's the original Sony panel, which has had the old plastic edge veneer removed, melamine 'wood' face sanded down sufficiently to bond, corners reformed, then veneered in rosewood bubinga raw veneer finished with several coats of teak oil for the moment - (and for the purists, all stuck together using hide glue). LOL

So there's one panel, now to start on the other which will be fully mirrored/bookmatched with this first one. Once all done, we'll final gloss them together.

So glad I decided against cutting down one of those crappy shelves like I was thinking. LOL
That looks awesome, nice job. Just curious,I had a receiver that was damaged similarly and when I brought it to the post office they said after I filed a claim I could have a refund but I would have to give them the receiver. You got to keep yours?
 
Gorgeous! All of my ES pieces have their OEM "Rosewood" panels. One of them (I think it was the 1000ESD pre amp) was missing its panels when I bought it (the original owner took the panels off years ago, he said, and then lost them). Fortunately, I found another 1000ESD on eBay for parts, and made a deal with the seller to buy the panels alone. (He was happy, as he could re-list the pre amp again, sans panels). Win/win for both of us. For those ES owners searching for panels, sometimes you can find an ES component that is roughly the same size as yours, or preferably bigger, and cut the panels down to fit your component. OP did a fantastic job with his side panels, so nice that he could even start a little side business making more for sale.
 
That Bubinga looks bitchin' :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rosewood burl...... droool
So beautiful. Well done !

The rosewood looks great!.....dont make it look too shiny though.......real wood should not look like the fake wood on the inside of an 88 Buick!

Absolutely stunning!!!

That's looks outstanding! You should be proud of yourself for tackling an unfamiliar project and the results you achieved. Those skills will come in handy for your next veneer project. :thumbsup:

Nice veneer job...looks great!:thumbsup:

That looks excellent! Great work on those panels.
I'm glad the ES got to live again even after it's unhappy journey to your place.

Thank you folks! It's been a lot of fun and a great learning experience. I'd also like to thank those of you who helped me throughout this ordeal - it's very much appreciated. Yeah, now that you mention it, maybe it's better to use a satin coat instead of a gloss. I'll see how the teak oil settles in over the next few days, but I think you're right - my dad's '82/83ish Olds 98 RB had plenty of that fake burl inside, along with burgundy velour upholstery - maybe that's not such a good look for this after all. LOL (I hated that car as a kid, but now, MAN! if gas wasn't 4 bucks a gallon, I'd be all over tracking down one like he had! Found one on BAT not too long ago, but in my case it'd have to be bring a boat too. LOL)

10.jpg

c294093cc3c50f8ffddd7187473bcb94--regency-.jpg


That looks awesome, nice job. Just curious,I had a receiver that was damaged similarly and when I brought it to the post office they said after I filed a claim I could have a refund but I would have to give them the receiver. You got to keep yours?

Thank you. As far as keeping it, that's what eBay/PayPal and the seller told me to do. Once we went through the claim process the day it arrived, I was getting ready to either send it back or maybe make an offer for parts value. But before I had a chance to, I received an email from eBay telling me to just keep it and they would handle the rest. I verified this with the seller to make sure, and offered to send all the photos I had of the unboxing and damage so that he could make the insurance claim. He agreed that was a good idea, so a couple days later I mailed him a stack of printed photos so that he could do the insurance claim.


So I've got that other panel done and they now match and have been reinstalled. I'm really glad that that hide glue stuck to the scuffed melamine - I tested it out prior to committing, but I was pretty skeptical - hope it stays stuck! Guess it's time to call this project done and move on to the next one. Now to get it moved and set up into its permanent location... the back room lounge.

Again, thank you all for your support, insight, help, and patience while I've been bringing this thing back to life.;)

IMG_6957.JPG

IMG_6959.JPG

Seeing that little light spot up there on the top right corner by the 'E' in drive makes me now realise that I'm not quite done - I've still got to redo the flat black on the inside of those panels. That's some putty from rebuilding the corners showing through. :idea:
 
Gorgeous! All of my ES pieces have their OEM "Rosewood" panels. One of them (I think it was the 1000ESD pre amp) was missing its panels when I bought it (the original owner took the panels off years ago, he said, and then lost them). Fortunately, I found another 1000ESD on eBay for parts, and made a deal with the seller to buy the panels alone. (He was happy, as he could re-list the pre amp again, sans panels). Win/win for both of us. For those ES owners searching for panels, sometimes you can find an ES component that is roughly the same size as yours, or preferably bigger, and cut the panels down to fit your component. OP did a fantastic job with his side panels, so nice that he could even start a little side business making more for sale.

Thank you. It's funny you mention that because I'm actually kinda tossing around the idea of doing this as a little side job (I even mentioned it in this thread or the linked one in DIY). If I can find a source for particle board or MDF, I'd probably do it since I've already got the template for the GX9/10, and there seems to be a shortage on the market - I looked everywhere for them but only found others posting in forums asking where to get replacements.
 
I'll see how the teak oil settles in over the next few days,

I think just the Teak oil will be just fine. Why put any poly on it all?

The Walnut veneer on my Marantz Imperial 6s has a decent shine after I gave them a light sanding then a coat of Danish Oil. After a week to dry I used a coat of Feed N Wax and that give them a nice sheen. I like wood to look like wood.

33995535_1919503154736289_1142034741764030464_n.jpg


33944189_1919503054736299_1451484077424115712_n.jpg
 
I think just the Teak oil will be just fine. Why put any poly on it all?

The Walnut veneer on my Marantz Imperial 6s has a decent shine after I gave them a light sanding then a coat of Danish Oil. After a week to dry I used a coat of Feed N Wax and that give them a nice sheen. I like wood to look like wood.

33995535_1919503154736289_1142034741764030464_n.jpg


33944189_1919503054736299_1451484077424115712_n.jpg

Oh and BTW I love that 98!

Yeah, I’m coming around on the idea of leaving them more woodlike and less plasticky. At first I was wanting to go for high gloss simply because that was what the original simulated wood panel finish was like. I was kinda aiming to keep it period correct (read: a bit 80s tacky). But now that I’ve had the panels done for a bit, I’ve been reconsidering. I do like the sheen of a more natural wood, like your speakers, which look fantastic btw.

I’ve got a little time to decide on final finish; currently I’ve got a panel off because of a bit of delamination on one of the edges - I was trying not to go overboard with the glue when I was doing this, but I didn’t take into account how much glue would be absorbed by the old, dry particle board core and evidently ended up going a little underboard instead. I’m gonna give it a few weeks or so to make sure it’s all on there securely before I go messing with any final topcoat finishes - that’ll give me some time to mull over just leaving it with another coat of teak oil and a wax like you’ve gone with yours. And that’s probably what it’ll end up being.

And as for the Olds, yeah. I didn’t appreciate dad’s car as a kid, mostly because I was into vintage and sports cars... But now I’d love to just cruise around in smooth, quiet comfort in a fake wood trimmed, burgundy velour livingroom on wheels surrounded by three tons of American steel, faux-convertible-topped in port wine vinyl, and severely underpowered by a malaise era 5L V8 - and that’s totally not a joke. I didn’t understand his logic in getting that car when I was younger, but now that I’m around the age dad was when he bought it new, I totally get it. I don’t know how to describe that desire exactly, but it’s probably best summed up with “get off my lawn!” LOL
 
that’ll give me some time to mull over just leaving it with another coat of teak oil and a wax like you’ve gone with yours. And that’s probably what it’ll end up being.

I think you will be very happy with that decision down the road. I hate the super shiny wood so bad that I actually prefer vinyl wrapped speakers over it.

Many new luxury cars are going to the open pore look for wood trim and it looks so much better.

I really love the veneer Marantz used on the Imperial series. I just bought a pair of Imperial 5s and they have the same veneer; beautiful grain with a touch of burl.
 
I'm glad to see it all worked out for you. My Onkyo M506rs nightmare is almost over, both it and the matching P506rs preamp are on the way back to the scam artist seller and Ebay is taking care of me, as the seller suddenly stopped responding to me after I discovered he had never opened a claim with UPS, as he said he had. BTW, your Sony was packed MUCH better than my Onkyo was!
 
Back
Top Bottom