• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Clean up (and paint??) a Pioneer PL-516

gurdyp

New Member
Hi all,

So I just purchased (locally, here in Montreal) an old Pioneer PL-516. It's in good shape, i.e. — it functions well! And sounds great. (I have a Pioneer PL-514 also, that I have plans to fix up and restore — it also sounds really good, but has some problems with the auto-return, etc).

The only thing with this 516 is that it looks pretty grimy. Maybe the previous owner was a smoker? It doesn't smell, but it's discoloured — the cover looks yellowed, the plinth a bit also, and the anti-skate knob looks a bit stained too. I'd also like to know how to shine up the tone-arm and the platter...

I've seen various threads where people say to use alcohol wipes, Simple Green and Windex. Anyone have any other advice here?

Also, I've seen the PL-516x turntables — which are all-black — and really like the look of them. Does anyone have any opinions on painting a plinth like this? (I think it's vinyl? With a slightly rough finish.) I've seen people suggest auto-parts paint for this kind of work. Anyone have any advice on this??

Thanks for any and all suggestions! Love AK!

pioneer-516-1.jpeg pioneer-516-2.jpeg pioneer-516-3.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
It's pretty common with this series to peel off the vinyl and replace it with wood veneer. Quite a few threads on AK of people who have done that.
 
Yeah! I'd like to do that with my PL-514. But I really like the black look on the PL-516... So that's why I was wondering about paint. :)

I'm not sure what type of paint would stick to that stock "veneer". You can get black synthetic or real veneer though and might want to go that route.
 
I'm not sure what type of paint would stick to that stock "veneer". You can get black synthetic or real veneer though and might want to go that route.
Nice — thank you! I think I definitely need to strip it. Will look into the black synthetic/real veneer idea, though! :)
 
@gurdyp I have a PL-518 that I stripped off that crappy gray and veneered it in ribbon mahogany veneer I already had around left over from some Klipsch Belle clones I built a few years back. A hair dryer on hot setting will take that old stuff right off. I also have a PL-516 that will get the veneer treatment at some point. There's a Canadian e b a y seller that sells the decals for a group of Pioneer turntables that I bought mine from. The problem is, he takes forever to do them, it seems. But they are $8 + $15 shipping I guess because of coming from Canada. Seems high for something that could darn near be put in an envelope. They are nice, though. I've got to do mine at some point. lol

Here's my thread on the finished table. Veneer is very reasonable on e b a y.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/another-pioneer-pl-518-with-new-veneer.915713/
 
@gurdyp I have a PL-518 that I stripped off that crappy gray and veneered it in ribbon mahogany veneer I already had around left over from some Klipsch Belle clones I built a few years back. A hair dryer on hot setting will take that old stuff right off. I also have a PL-516 that will get the veneer treatment at some point. There's a Canadian e b a y seller that sells the decals for a group of Pioneer turntables that I bought mine from. The problem is, he takes forever to do them, it seems. But they are $8 + $15 shipping I guess because of coming from Canada. Seems high for something that could darn near be put in an envelope. They are nice, though. I've got to do mine at some point. lol

Here's my thread on the finished table. Veneer is very reasonable on e b a y.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/another-pioneer-pl-518-with-new-veneer.915713/
Beautiful job on your Pl-518! Looks a thousand times better (and more classy) than the original. :)

There are quite a few threads on here for re-veneering. I'll scour them and try and set myself up for the project. Seems like a good thing to do going into autumn! ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom