• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

CLEANING VINYL - The AK compendium of fact, fiction and collective wisdom

Have you ever used glue to clean a record?

  • Yes

    Votes: 239 19.2%
  • No

    Votes: 1,007 80.8%

  • Total voters
    1,246
I'm currently out of the office, thankfully I was given the opportunity to ride my baby home under the conditions I return for admittance. I was looking good for the San Antonio trip, and take a cold weather road trip to end this year but it may not happen now.

Yes to your thinking and a thank you for your reaching out with the positive reviews. Got my charger and phone to update y'all later.
I got your PM first, so now that all makes sense.

Buddy, you hang in there. It will improve. I've been in that same scenario, it isn't fun. Wife had it done as an adult, said it was worse than childbirth.
 
Any of you guys watch the Let's Clean A Record YouTube channel?

I like to kid that the guy who runs it sort of reminds me of Phil Hartman's Anal Retentive ____________ (where ____________ = something like woodworker, chef, etc...).

But that would be doing a grave disservice to the guy who runs it.

He's probably forgotten about more record cleaning systems, techniques, and compounds than I'll ever know.

Here's a link to his channel if you'd like to check it out: https://m.youtube.com/@LetsCleanaRecord
 
Spent the day US cleaning a dozen or so records from the past few months. Found a couple yesterday doing a little thrifting before walking the Christmas lights downtown. Found a live Allman Bros - Check the Oil..., Fogerty - Centerfield, and Willie and the Poor Boys with Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts and an ensemble group.

Worked great. Let them air dry and listened to them as they came off the air dry conveyor. lol. Really liked the Willie LP and I hadn't heard the Centerfield LP in years and years. It's more of a Spring LP, but it was still good. Had football game in the background without sound and that was really nice for a change. Don't like all the penalty interruptions in the midst of the game. It interrupts my beer drinking.


20251214_195002.jpg
 
Last edited:
I'm still gobsmacked at how 10 records for 30 minutes at 35 Celsius in my tank, tap water from the HOT spigot, a tablespoon of Jet-Dri, spinning on ETLS's record rotisserie, rinse in Spin Clean with only distilled water, then air dried, results in absolute SILENCE.

I'm telling ya, folks, I been seriously overthinking it.
 
Very dependent on local conditions. Where I live now I could maybe get away with it but in SoCal where I lived for three decades the water was way, way too chock full of solids. @$1 a gallon I use D H2O
Good sir, I'll defer to your knowledge of local water conditions.

I have to state that Kentucky is a bit famous for our well water, and I've not had any issues. Honestly, I was terrified to use non-distilled, but the results are just incredible with my tap water. Your results might vary.
 
I have used a few things for LP cleaning.

The Original DiskWasher with the rough cloth on it

I also have a DiskTracker (Very, Very Rare) anyone else have one?

An original Cecil B. Watts Dust Bug/Preener/Parastat/Parostatic I still use them for a dusting off an LP

A Static Master with a little radioactive material to eliminate static (still in use)

Orbitrack 2

Sound Guard

PVA, and its cousin Wood Glue

Today: VPI HW 19 vacuum cleaner with two wands (dirty/clean) and two Mobile Fidelity brushes (dirty/clean). Also modified for better cooling. The spindle would get Hot during a marathon cleanings

An ultrasonic Kirmuss LP cleaner

This overlooks all the liquid fluids which “magically” remove the gunk (Not).
 
Last edited:
I have gone the whole route of hand cleaning to the vacuum record cleaning machine and now the Ultra Sonic machine and the US is the best by far. I had wanted to buy the Audio Desk US machine but for $4,000 dollars it was expensive and I read a lot of owners having reliability problems and poor customer service, so I held out hoping competition would bring the price down. Years went by and not much relieve in prices until I saw the HumminGuru release. That is what I purchased, and it does a great job. It does only one record but it is fully automated simply drop the record in and remove it ready to play as it not only washes the record, but it dries it as well with a forced filtered air dryer.

I can't say how long term reliability will be as I haven't owned it that long but so far it is been trouble free.

I use distilled water, a couple of drops of wetting agent, and that is it. These have very small tanks so I change the water frequently, and clean the filters often. I have thousands of records so I clean a record prior to listening to it, and I purchased some small stickers and put a sticker on the back of the outer cover after it has been cleaned with the date on it. Every record goes in a anti static inner sleeve.
 
Last edited:
Yes, long-term reliability is still anyone's guess, but so far there doesn't seem to be any reason for concern. Very few reported failures, and they have all been promptly solved by their exemplary customer service. Moreover, the company listens to its customers and is eager to improve its products, as they've already proven with the excellent Nova.
So yeah, we can't say for sure yet, but the signs are really good.
 
I have been buying LPs since the late '50s. So cleaning has been a sideline of buying. I started with the original DiskWasher. It had an "aggressive" cloth on it. Ben VanDerKree was the rep in Atlanta. As he was doling them out someone said, "Don't give Grainger one, he keeps his LPs clean already.

Here are some of the cleaners I have used.
The Original DiskWasher with the rough cloth on it. I also have a DiskTracker (Very, Very Rare)
An original Cecil B. Watts Dust Bug/Preener/Parastat/Parostatic I still use them for a dusting off an LP
A Static Master with a little radioactive material to eliminate static
Orbitrack 2
Sound Guard
PVA, and its cousin Wood Glue
VPI HW 19 vacuum cleaner with two wands (dirty/clean) and two Mobile Fidelity brushes (dirty/clean). Also modified for better cooling. The spindle would get Hot during a marathon cleanings.

An ultrasonic Kirmuss LP cleaner
This overlooks all the thousands of liquid fluids which “magically” remove the gunk (Not).
 
Last edited:
"Glue cannot repair damage, and some records are just crummy pressings" This is sooo wise. After cleaning an LP with glue 3 times it didn't sound better.

I have settled on cleaning gunk with Kirmuss cleaner, (when it is gone I have gallons of other stuff) smoothe it all around the LP, then a clean H2O rinse and a spin in the ultrasonic tank. VPI cleaner to remove the liquid.
 
I have gone the whole route of hand cleaning to the vacuum record cleaning machine and now the Ultra Sonic machine and the US is the best by far. I had wanted to buy the Audio Desk US machine but for $4,000 dollars it was expensive and I read a lot of owners having reliability problems and poor customer service, so I held out hoping competition would bring the price down. Years went by and not much relieve in prices until I saw the HumminGuru release. That is what I purchased, and it does a great job. It does only one record but it is fully automated simply drop the record in and remove it ready to play as it not only washes the record, but it dries it as well with a forced filtered air dryer.

I can't say how long term reliability will be as I haven't owned it that long but so far it is been trouble free.

I use distilled water, a couple of drops of wetting agent, and that is it. These have very small tanks so I change the water frequently, and clean the filters often. I have thousands of records so I clean a record prior to listening to it, and I purchased some small stickers and put a sticker on the back of the outer cover after it has been cleaned with the date on it. Every record goes in a anti static inner sleeve.
Ken, you and I have traveled the same road to get to where we are. I started with a DiskWasher and now use the VPI HW 16 and a Kirmuss Ultrasonic tank. The Kirmuss cleans 2 LPs at a time. But it is still time consuming. I mention the VPI machine because I use it for removing any moisture from the LP. I have a spacer to keep the grooves from touching the mat while there is cleaning fluid/water on the bottom.
 
Last edited:
Ken, you and I have traveled the same road to get to where we are. I started with a DiskWasher and now use the VPI HW 16 and a Kirmuss Ultrasonic tank. The Kirmuss cleans 2 LPs at a time. But it is still time consuming. I mention the VPI machine because I use it for removing any moisture from the LP. I have a spacer to keep the grooves from touching the mat while there is cleaning fluid/water on the bottom.

I upgraded my Kirmuss record spinner top to the 3 lp version avail from Upscale Audio. It helps when you're doing a large batch.
 
I started my LP cleaning journey with an original DiskWasher. I have ended up with a Kirmuss ultrasonic tank with the LPs dried with my VPI HW 16.

I have way to many LP cleaning devices/liquids.
 
Last edited:
Having started investing in pricey LP's from Acoustic sounds and DGG and continuing with Phillips analog LP's similar to to DGG Original Source LP's I am doing everything I can to keep new LP's clean and getting the best out of older LP's. I have well filtered HVAC system and the house is is almost air tight with Dual Pane Hurd windows. But I do go in and out multiple tmes a day and I do have a cat. So I bought a hand help vacuum to clean off the Turn table mats before playing a record. I even use the little vacuum to clean the mat on my VPI 17.0 RCM. By having clean records and a clean atmosphere around the LP's I very seldom have issues with gunk collecting on the stylus anymore. When you have highly directive speakers and you sit just outside the direct field it very easy to hear annoying disturbances whether confined to the recording or some thing else intruding on the experience. Having recorded many live performances myself I am very sensitive to knob twiddling by recording and mastering engineers and the recording engineers choice of microphones and where they positioned them. So If I can prevent the introduction of noise in all forms to my Lp's it makes me a much happier and relaxed while listening to great performances captured and presented on any format from the romantic past.

As a certain friend of mine use to say " Keep those LP's clean and you will have great music to listen to for as long as you want to. He has been gone since 2020 and I know he had over 1000 lp's and almost as many 78's. All the Lp's I heard sounded brand new when played with his Grace F9E and his all Mcntosh electronics and speakers. He had a Technics DD turntable for his LP's with a linear arm. And an Older Thorens 124 with a SME arm and Stanton cartridge to play his 78's. Born in 1920 he loved some of his 78 more than anything recorded on 33 or on CD.

I also have a friend currently who prefers the more romantic interpretations of a lot conductors and orchestras from the past. I tend to lean that way, too. So keep the LP's immaculate so you can enjoy the sounds from the past. I just bought a Red Seal RCA recording from Acoustic sounds and it has plenty of definition, but it also shows the great Acoustics of the BSO concert hall. Some thing a lot of modern recordings don't reveal any more. Then too, there so many modern concert halls that have just become to sterile. Berlin and San Francisco for instance.
 
I'm still gobsmacked at how 10 records for 30 minutes at 35 Celsius in my tank, tap water from the HOT spigot, a tablespoon of Jet-Dri, spinning on ETLS's record rotisserie, rinse in Spin Clean with only distilled water, then air dried, results in absolute SILENCE.

I'm telling ya, folks, I been seriously overthinking it.


Absolute SILENCE?

Brother I've heard of taking the words out of your mouth, but how can you listen to side two of MEDDLE in dead silence?

Please wash some of that glorious masterpiece back onto that vinyl!

:jump:


Sorry my brother, I could not pass that one up.
 
Absolute SILENCE?

Brother I've heard of taking the words out of your mouth, but how can you listen to side two of MEDDLE in dead silence?

Please wash some of that glorious masterpiece back onto that vinyl!

:jump:


Sorry my brother, I could not pass that one up.

Perhaps I washed it too much?? You got me good, you ol' devil. Great to see you up to your usuals.
 
Perhaps I washed it too much?? You got me good, you ol' devil. Great to see you up to your usuals.
One time fat boy is roaming the halls.

I hope they get my new dietary cartons sent. I've officially lost over 105 of my 277 pounds.

Day and a half I go into a half day full sedation complete tooth removal/jawbone/gums reconstruction surgery then into a three week healing process.

Then the fun begins with the chemo/radiation treatments.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom