• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

CLEANING VINYL - The AK compendium of fact, fiction and collective wisdom

Have you ever used glue to clean a record?

  • Yes

    Votes: 239 19.2%
  • No

    Votes: 1,007 80.8%

  • Total voters
    1,246
One time fat boy is roaming the halls.

I hope they get my new dietary cartons sent. I've officially lost over 105 of my 277 pounds.

Day and a half I go into a half day full sedation complete tooth removal/jawbone/gums reconstruction surgery then into a three week healing process.

Then the fun begins with the chemo/radiation treatments.
Buddy, I wish you well. I went to the dentist myself yesterday. Turns out, my crowned 2nd molar has massive nerve irritation that showed up on xray, and they're gonna have to drill it (root canal through the new crown). Second time this has happened with crowns.

Don't think you weren't on my mind when I was in there. Cause, you very much were.
 
They're gonna have to drill it (root canal through the new crown). Second time this has happened with crowns.
Good luck with that! :thumbsup:

I remember dentists used to prescribe 3 days' worth of Vicodin. Now, it's "Buy some Motrin and a 45 to bite on!"

a913c2e9-8a71-4da3-a911-ad74ca219b0f.gif
 
Good luck with that! :thumbsup:

I remember dentists used to prescribe 3 days' worth of Vicodin. Now, it's "Buy some Motrin and a 45 to bite on!"

a913c2e9-8a71-4da3-a911-ad74ca219b0f.gif
Damn, I know, right??

I was hoping to get a reprieve and "step up to the Vic". Alas, drugs r' bad, and dummies mess it up for those with a desire to avoid temporary pain. :rant:

Clove oil is a big help on bum teeth.
 
I will get one one day.
But using tap (fawcet) water?
Yes. I wash with tap water and dishwashing liquid, then fill that container with distilled water and rinse. Then I put the disc between two microfiber cloths to absorb the excess water.
 
Last edited:
I will get one one day.
But using tap (fawcet) water?
Go to a hardware store. Get a corner paint pad, the kind with little rollers on them. Apply the thinnest little line of Dawn. Run record under the faucet (yes, faucet) and scrub in a CIRCULAR MOTION, making sure to go both ways. Make sure to only scrub to the runout. Rinse thoroughly, and perhaps a final rinse with distilled water. Allow to air dry.

This, to me and those with decent tap water, works to within 85% of what is perfect.

I think I've tried repeatedly to say this, so as to not overwhelm those new to vinyl cleaning. Sure, one can do far more, and I certainly have, but this does work rather well, and is cheap and easy.
 
My tools for cleaning discs, I mount that nozzle to the shower hose to rinse the disc before and after washing. The water pressure is 4bar and I use my fingertip to distribute the water in a wide jet. After washing with detergent and rinsing with shower water, I rinse once more with distilled water sprayed with a pressure of 1.5-2 bar then wipe with microfiber cloths and leave to dry.
20260409_165511.jpg20260409_164841.jpg
20260409_162419.jpg20260409_163828.jpg20260409_164045.jpg20260409_164604.jpg20260409_164701.jpg20260409_164709.jpg20260409_164745.jpg
 
Last edited:
Good to see this topic going so well.I think the community has adopted most all of the suggestions withs!!out any one-up-manship.Go Cats
I have said for a good, long while, there are many ways to skin this cat. Some cheap and easy, others complicated.

Like so many hobbies, the personality can dictate how far down the rabbit hole one wishes to go.

With that said, ultrasonic with just a tiny, and I mean tiny, dab of something to break surface tension, sure works well.
 
But then again, as true as you are Sir Onward, there is a feeling of self satisfaction in the time, effort and care one receives when doing some things the ol'fashion way. I have a decent ultrasonic, but once in awhile, I like the process of doing it. I liken it to waxing the car ... I can pay someone else to do it for me, or appreciate the work I did when I'm finished. (Wink)

Garry~
 
But then again, as true as you are Sir Onward, there is a feeling of self satisfaction in the time, effort and care one receives when doing some things the ol'fashion way. I have a decent ultrasonic, but once in awhile, I like the process of doing it. I liken it to waxing the car ... I can pay someone else to do it for me, or appreciate the work I did when I'm finished. (Wink)

Garry~
Oh, absolutely.

I often fall in love with the process, whether it is making moonshine whisky (2 friends who have taught me, more or less), woodworking, or something as simple as waxing the auto.

This compulsion is probably why I have so many various speakers. The joy is in the process of swapping out, trying new setups. Formats are also like that. Nothing easier than my digital setup, but man, how I love spinning a record.
 
Sounds fantastic, guess I need to start saving.



More good info I didn't have.



This is a solid argument, and I definitely see your point.

However, not everything is available new, MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE (please, nobody be offended by this statement) is that new vinyl is a total crap shoot. I've been very unlucky with new vinyl. Even the much vaunted Wilco pressings and the mono Beatles have slight warps and deformations, tho they both sound very good.

If I could find a MOFI reissue of, say, Roy Buchanon's Second Album, well....then I'd be all over it.

Plus, finding old vinyl at the thrift is cheap, often things are long out of print, and I've found some old records that sound better than new stuff (quality of mastering, etc).

This thread is simply the best methods to clean vinyl. Someone could argue that even NEW vinyl needs the pressing stuff removed. I don't have that knowledge.

Keep the tips, tricks, info, and data coming. Wish we had a Zilch of record cleaning.:scratch2:

RIP, Z, and respect.
 
I use a combination of a Chinese-made ultra-sonic cleaner and a cheap, vacuum-only Record Doctor machine, but what I can bring to this part of the discussion is a suggestion to clean your new records before they ever see the top of your deck's platter.

Record stamping plants are definitely NOT like a NASA clean room. Most new records come with some crud on them, whether it's dirt settling out of the air and onto disks or an aerosol form of any chemicals sprayed in the building.

I try to do this, but I'm almost always tripped up by my desire to hear my new music!!
 
The ultrasonic bath works so well, I've bought a lot of intial-pressed LPs. That's what I look for these days — good used LPs. Sometimes, the original pressings are really better than any recent remastering.

;)

I liken the entire situation to someone trying to rebuild the Saturn V rocket. Could it be done?? Likely. Can it be done as well? Maybe.

WILL it be done effectively, or cost-effectively?? Do those who have 50 years of experience man the helm, or is it some over-stylish hipster figuring it out as he goes?

Me, I find that a good 90% of the records I buy new (remasters, etc) aren't up to the same quality as when it was the medium of choice.

Your results could vary.
 
Back
Top Bottom