• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Coach Gets Fired - What Do You Think?

You can't win with some people .

You have had a problem with me for some petty reason for months, dating back I think to me posting that I didn't care for a pair of Klipsch Fortes. A difference of opinion that you somehow couldn't stomach and its now been what, months?. LET IT GO ZEBRA. If you have a problem with me, spill it. Send me a PM, and we'll have it out. Quit childishly and passive aggressively taking swipes at me in open forums like this is kindergarten. Grow up and deal with it, or let it go.
 
Communication is a valid point, the coach who is the adult should have communicated his rules from day one, he didn't. Now I don't believe it's 100% his fault, the parents should have spoken with the coach, and the school should have some rules about multiple sports. While sports can teach teamwork and sacrifice they should be secondary to the classroom.
 
Last edited:
I don't have a problem with anyone in this thread, but I do have a problem with some of the attitudes. There are folks intimately knowledgeable on the subject, there are folks that admittedly do not know about sports at this level, and there's folks on both sides who are dismissive of others with a different viewpoint.

I do know just a tiny bit about coaching non-school-related (and school-related) sports, both recreational and competitive, having coached both, and coached extracurricular sports at both recreational and competitive levels. I also know about multiple-sport athletes, having raised one myself.

There's a lot of people getting hot about whether this kid was right or wrong, and he was wrong.

There's a lot of people getting hot about whether this coach was right or wrong, and he was wrong.

When someone signs up for a sport, they are making a commitment to the team. Choosing at some later point to not honor that commitment is the same as choosing not to honor any other commitment. Indeed, that's what youth sports is all about, and why participants do so much better later in life than nonparticipants; because they have learned about making and honoring commitments.

When someone coaches a sport, they are making a commitment to the team. Failing to make team rules known to the athletes before they agree to participate is choosing to not honor that commitment, because the coach is responsible for providing the structure in practices and games, and the framework around which the team operates.

As has already been pointed out, lack of effective communication from both sides is what caused the whole problem.

As far as using sports as an entry to college; many are correct, very few kids get a "full ride" scholarship for any sport. That said, college acceptance is not anything like it used to be, and not having many full scholarships available doesn't mean that sports are not one of the critical experiences to getting into a good college.

Good grades don't guarantee anyone a place at a 4 year college any more. A student can be 4.0+ GPA and Honor Roll student every single year of middle and high school, and all they're guaranteed of is a place at a community college, paying every dime of their way.

Nowadays, the good institutions look at the whole package:

Was the applicant involved in sports?

Was the applicant involved in the music program?

Was the applicant involved in school government?

Was the applicant a tutor or student aide?

Was the applicant involved in their community? If so, what extracurricular activities and/or programs were they involved in?


The 4 year universities are looking for the best of the best, because they want to be known for producing the future leaders of business and government. This allows them to compete for the best student body possible and ensures that their reputation is the best it can be, because higher education is even more competitive now than it has been in the past.
 
Communication is a valid point, the coach who is the adult should have communicated his rules from day one, he didn't. Now I don't believe it's 100% his fault, the parents should have spoken with the coach, and the school should have some rules about multiple sports. While sports can teach teamwork and sacrifice they should be secondary to the classroom.

I don't think that is fair and here is why.

It is a reasonable expectation when you join a team that you will be at all practices and all games.

My daughter never had a coach actually say she you had to be at all games and practices but knew enough to tell each coach of possible conflicts before the season began.

As I said I think EVERYONE was at fault but the single biggest misstep was the kid. IMHO.
I mentioned this earlier but you may have missed it. My daughter had to quit her 2nd and 3rd sport for just such reasons. But she did it before the season began, she never missed a game or practice as this kid did.
 
You have had a problem with me for some petty reason for months, dating back I think to me posting that I didn't care for a pair of Klipsch Fortes. A difference of opinion that you somehow couldn't stomach and its now been what, months?. LET IT GO ZEBRA. If you have a problem with me, spill it. Send me a PM, and we'll have it out. Quit childishly and passive aggressively taking swipes at me in open forums like this is kindergarten. Grow up and deal with it, or let it go.

My goodness , you have quite a complex John . I was not even talking about you . I was talking about the coach , NOT YOU . You are not the center of my world . I do not care about you or your childish Behavior . It seems I can't make any comment without ruffling your feathers . You need to grow up and move on . I expect a full apology . I also expect not to get one . Please , please leave me alone .
 
Last edited:
So what happens when he gets that scholarship and is part of another team?:scratch2:
Looking out for #1 is wise, but it doesn't work when part of a team. This applies to sports and other aspects of life.

Lets be clear, as I read it he was on a high school team, so if he is trying for a scholarship that implies a school of higher learning, so he would not be playing against the home team anyway.
 
Lets be clear, as I read it he was on a high school team, so if he is trying for a scholarship that implies a school of higher learning, so he would not be playing against the home team anyway.

That wasn't the point I was making.
 
Back
Top Bottom