• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

college dorm system

dumptruckz36

Active Member
so im now a freshman in college at GVSU, and i just wanted to show how crazy i am cause i brought so much stereo stuff. normally, this would suffice for a large living room, but im using it in a dorm room thats about 10x17. im deffinitly the big kid on the block now with these suckers. most of the other people brought little ipod dock things which dont even compare. anyway, included are a Pioneer SX-1010, Sony PS-LX4 TT, Pioneer SR-202W reverb amp, and a pair od Sansui SP-1700 speakers. most people dont even know what a turntable is here.....
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4281.jpg
    IMG_4281.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_4282.jpg
    IMG_4282.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 308
Register to hide this ad
Sweet . . . but be careful. It would be a shame if any of that "took a walk".

Also, beware the occasional beer-spew. :no:
 
i dont think ill have any problems with people borrowing my stuff. everyone here is so used to "plug and play" that they wouldnt know what to do with any of it. and none of them have any records to play.
 
Nice. Although I'd watch cranking it up on the SANSUI's. IIRC they are only rated for 60-70W.

Lift the TT off the top of the 1010. The 1010 needs the ventilation and the TT is blocking it. Something that is stable and shouldn't transmit vibrations.

Larry
 
Back in the early 70s, we used to have stereo wars on campus involving how much noise (not necessarily the finest audio!). This was where the whole side of one dorm put all of their stereo gear in their windows facing another dorm, whose facing side had also done the same thing. Then, on the drop of a flag from a group of judges (actually the hall monitors from both dorms), the wars began. Given that we had 4 men's dorms all in a row, this could be quite interesting with betting and other assorted sins being committed on a Sunday afternoon.

For these once-a-month events, music was pre-specified and the winners got to choose the beer keg of their choice - another whole war in itself - from the collected funds of the participants. Needless to say, there was lots of big talk, strutting and bravado well in advance of these sonic wars.

From what I see sold today, I'd suggest our OP would win hands down.

BTW, this was how I got started repairing audio back then. Generally, there were lots of blown speakers and amps littering the battlefield after such an event and I quickly became known as a go-to guy for such damage. That allowed me to go on dates occasionally, when I was paid in real money. Usually the currency of choice was either liquid or smokable.....

Cheers,

David
 
I have a pair of SP-2000's that those SP-1700's would look great sitting on top of. Got any room left?

SansuiSP-2000002.jpg
 
wow those are nice!. i wish i had more space. im very lucky as it is that my speakers fit where they do. as you can see from the picture, there is about an inch between the 2 of them. and these are the SMALL speakers that i brought
 
Man! Anyone from 1973 could just walk into that dorm room and not know he'd jumped forward 37 years! amazing! and right here in western Michigan!
 
Nice rig. I miss my college dorm room days. Enjoy. Also, consider a pair of Boston Acoustics A150's. The will get closer to the wall and they will smoke your Sansui's and I have found that girls have better ears, sooo...
 
Nice rig. I miss my college dorm room days. Enjoy. Also, consider a pair of Boston Acoustics A150's. The will get closer to the wall and they will smoke your Sansui's and I have found that girls have better ears, sooo...

the system i have right now sounds pretty good to my ears right now. i think the combination between my receiver and speakers and that the speakers are about 3 feet off the ground adds alot to their sound. i know alot of people think that sansui speakers lack in bass, but in my room here its almost overpowering. but that could be the cinderblock walls.....
 
Nice setup. Back in the 70s that would have been a pretty standard dorm system. Very apropos. Be careful. They may not know how to use it but they still know how to fence.

mike
 
Nice system, from a fellow college student. The worst part about having a system in the dorm is placement... you probably have little to no choice about where you can put everything. Cinderblock walls won't help either. :no: They are causing the increase in bass you mention. I have one of my Wharfedales next to the exterior cinderblock wall, and the bass is noticeably more strong on that speaker. Nothing that some tone controls won't fix. Still, that system will ROCK! If you want to make friends (or enemies :D) just play music and leave your door open, people will drop by, I guarantee it. :thmbsp:
 
Nice system, from a fellow college student. The worst part about having a system in the dorm is placement... you probably have little to no choice about where you can put everything. Cinderblock walls won't help either. :no: They are causing the increase in bass you mention. I have one of my Wharfedales next to the exterior cinderblock wall, and the bass is noticeably more strong on that speaker. Nothing that some tone controls won't fix. Still, that system will ROCK! If you want to make friends (or enemies :D) just play music and leave your door open, people will drop by, I guarantee it. :thmbsp:

oh i know. ive met a whole lot of guys (and girls :thmbsp:) by doing that. its also nice cause im in a coed dorm...
 
Very nice dorm room system. I'm happy to see that not everyone is content with the sound from a laptop or iPod. Enjoy it and don't piss off too many neighbors...
 
Cool dorm system.

I'm living at home during college, so no need for a dorm system. I did, however, give my ex-girlfriend Alexis some gear, and she took it to college with her. Technics SL-Q200 TT, Heathkit AR-1214? integrated amp, Technics RS-M224 cassette deck, Advent speakers. The Advents and the Heathkit I do miss, but I really never used them, and have much better things now.

If I ever went to a dorm I am not sure what I would do, probably get some nice minimonitors and headphones.
 
VERY cool ! I remember my under-grad years in the late 70s. Back then bong water was the worst enemy...and banquet chicken grease.

Damn,I am old !

Enjoy your youth !
 
Good for you...

Definitely old school. Get a drill with a masonry bit, and make yourself some new shelves for some more room. Might want to see what you can swing for some separation between the speakers, or for getting the TT off the 1010.

wualta is right, other than that printer and laptop, it could be a dorm room from the late 70's.

Lastly, I'm guessing that bongwater is still a hazard of college life...:smoke:
 
Back
Top Bottom