• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

college dorm system

Very nice dorm room system. I'm happy to see that not everyone is content with the sound from a laptop or iPod. Enjoy it and don't piss off too many neighbors...

thankfully most of my neighbors dont care what kind of music it is as long as its loud. which, i might add, im quite good at giving them. i hope they like pink floyd loud
 
most of the other people brought little ipod dock things which dont even compare. ...

I can't help but think of all the younger kids and how they're missing out on music these days. Listening to an iPod through ear buds or a docking station can't compare with the tactile sensation of hearing it on some nice full range, open air speakers. It's definitely a thing of the past. Cheers to you and your cool dorm system. Rock On!
 
Cinder block's are good :thmbsp: Poruous, absorb sound. Much better, less reflective than frame and drywall.

What kind of floor covering?
 
I just got mine set up as well! I have a Teac cx-350 tape deck, a Pioneer sx-750, my computer, and a pair of klipsch bookshelf speakers. I plan to chain a Pioneer sa7500ii to the sx-750 and add a pair of Pioneer cs66e speakers with a tx6500ii tuner! I wish I had room for the tt, but I really don't.... :(.
 
:D I was a high school dropout... I can imagine, though. :yes:

Still, though, less reflective than hardwood. With your furniture cushions/mattress you've got a reasonably 'soft' room.
 
Nice. Although I'd watch cranking it up on the SANSUI's. IIRC they are only rated for 60-70W.

Lift the TT off the top of the 1010. The 1010 needs the ventilation and the TT is blocking it. Something that is stable and shouldn't transmit vibrations.

Larry

fixed. i got my parents to bring up my EQ, which is alot shorter than the TT. i still have the back of the TT proped up, but its not blocking the vents. im still working on vibration proofing it, but its pretty good where it is with that. i havent notices any extra vibrations when im playing it a little loud.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4285.jpg
    IMG_4285.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4286.jpg
    IMG_4286.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 62
Nice dorm system. I'm sure that will run you out of that room if you're not careful with the volume. :D I know I was well hated in college due to the classic rock pounding I regularly unleashed on the dorm.
 
Back in the early 70s, we used to have stereo wars on campus involving how much noise (not necessarily the finest audio!). This was where the whole side of one dorm put all of their stereo gear in their windows facing another dorm, whose facing side had also done the same thing. Then, on the drop of a flag from a group of judges (actually the hall monitors from both dorms), the wars began. Given that we had 4 men's dorms all in a row, this could be quite interesting with betting and other assorted sins being committed on a Sunday afternoon.

For these once-a-month events, music was pre-specified and the winners got to choose the beer keg of their choice - another whole war in itself - from the collected funds of the participants. Needless to say, there was lots of big talk, strutting and bravado well in advance of these sonic wars.

From what I see sold today, I'd suggest our OP would win hands down.

BTW, this was how I got started repairing audio back then. Generally, there were lots of blown speakers and amps littering the battlefield after such an event and I quickly became known as a go-to guy for such damage. That allowed me to go on dates occasionally, when I was paid in real money. Usually the currency of choice was either liquid or smokable.....

Cheers,

David

LOL!!! Very cool
 
I'm in the same boat as you, though your Pioneer SX-1010 definately outclasses my 20-watt Sansui 800 from 1969. I'm afraid to turn up the music too loud, though, because the RA, Greg, lives across the hall. How do those Sansui speakers sound? I'd like to find a pair eventually. You really should try to get a bit more separation between those speakers, though I guess it doesn't matter because you aren't going to be able to have a proper listening position in a cluttered dorm room. I feel sorry for everyone else who only listen to music through earbuds. Greg the RA has "The Beatles in Mono" box set but was telling me he has only heard it through the speakers on his laptop, I don't know how he can stand it. At least he has taste, most people seem to listen to just awful music on awful systems. No one seems to appreciate music anymore, last year I was astounded that no one in my French class knew who George Harrison was. George Harrison! What do you think of the effect of that Pioneer Reverb? Most people seem to say they are gimmicky but I would imagine at times they sound pretty neat.
 
thankfully most of my neighbors dont care what kind of music it is as long as its loud. which, i might add, im quite good at giving them. i hope they like pink floyd loud

You might try Inna Gadda Da Vida once in a while (the 22 minute version) just as a change. And CRANK IT UP!
 
You might try Inna Gadda Da Vida once in a while (the 22 minute version) just as a change. And CRANK IT UP!

i already have. most people dont mind it except for the "endless" drum solo.

i really love those sansui speakers. call me a fool but paired with a very bass strong receiver, the sound is perfect. im lucky too cause my RA (Joel) lives on the other end of the hall.
 
Could you put the desk between the speakers? THat way you would have a better seperation of the channels!

Props to your setup. Music, good music quality = quality of life.


Protip: A reel to reel takes off panties! :music:
 
Could you put the desk between the speakers? THat way you would have a better seperation of the channels!

Props to your setup. Music, good music quality = quality of life.


Protip: A reel to reel takes off panties! :music:

if you saw how much damn furniture (the universities damn furniture, that is) we have in this room, the only way we would have the room is if we lofted our beds. something which would take alot of time, but im considering it more now. im looking on craigslist for a reel to reel as i type....:thmbsp:
 
if you saw how much damn furniture (the universities damn furniture, that is) we have in this room, the only way we would have the room is if we lofted our beds. something which would take alot of time, but im considering it more now. im looking on craigslist for a reel to reel as i type....:thmbsp:

:thmbsp:

Make a mixtape before the evening, when she shows up, dim the lights, light a candle (Remember to place so you can see your reels turning!) and press play.

:music:
 
Be wary of the infamous dorm/frat parties for which you might be temped to use your stereo...notorious for blown speakers, shorted amps, etc.
 
thankfully most of my neighbors dont care what kind of music it is as long as its loud. which, i might add, im quite good at giving them. i hope they like pink floyd loud

I wish I had had neighbors like you when I used to stay in the dorms. :D Pink Floyd is just awesome in my book, and I saw the Boston album art in the pics you posted. Great stuff. My college (Wayne State University) is in Detroit, which should give you a pretty good idea what I had to listen to through the paper-thin walls at all odd hours of the day.

On the other hand, I did take one of my systems with me the one year and had great fun blaring Jethro Tull and Genesis whenever stuff started getting too noisy on the other side of the wall.

Think of it as a contest. I won. Which is a sad statement about mass market equipment, as my rig was only 25 wpc RMS through middling efficiency speakers.

For those wondering how to maximize the space in these little rooms, lofting the bed (if possible) is the best strategy. I shoved the desk and chest of drawers next to each other under the bed, and I got a good seven feet separation between my speakers. Only bad part is you can't really enjoy the music while lying back on the bed. Ah, well, that's what headphones are for.
 
I wish I had had neighbors like you when I used to stay in the dorms. :D Pink Floyd is just awesome in my book, and I saw the Boston album art in the pics you posted. Great stuff. My college (Wayne State University) is in Detroit, which should give you a pretty good idea what I had to listen to through the paper-thin walls at all odd hours of the day.

On the other hand, I did take one of my systems with me the one year and had great fun blaring Jethro Tull and Genesis whenever stuff started getting too noisy on the other side of the wall.

Think of it as a contest. I won. Which is a sad statement about mass market equipment, as my rig was only 25 wpc RMS through middling efficiency speakers.

For those wondering how to maximize the space in these little rooms, lofting the bed (if possible) is the best strategy. I shoved the desk and chest of drawers next to each other under the bed, and I got a good seven feet separation between my speakers. Only bad part is you can't really enjoy the music while lying back on the bed. Ah, well, that's what headphones are for.

i graduated from dearborn high school so i know all about wayne state and its students hahaha. i have some friends there right now that graduated with me. i disagree that you cant enjoy music while laying on a bed. today i feel asleep listening to animals-pink floyd and i had some trippy dreams. i love falling asleep to music.:boring:
 
i disagree that you cant enjoy music while laying on a bed. today i feel asleep listening to animals-pink floyd and i had some trippy dreams. i love falling asleep to music.:boring:

I didn't really explain this very well. I meant that since the speakers would be below you, it would mess up the effect. I've fallen asleep to music quite a few memorable times. One of the weirdest was the first time I ever listened to Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans. I made it through the first fifty minutes or so, then somewhere I must have dozed off. When I sort of woke up again, I noted hmm...they used the same music from another album in here. Then I realized that was impossible because Tales was released before that other album!

I also managed to fall asleep to The Wall one time, and how the trial didn't wake me up I'll never know. Both these times I didn't dream at all, nor did I have any idea time had passed. It's like that time just got sucked into a black hole. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom