• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Coming soon to AK! Phono Preamp Shootout!

Thanks for the comparison. I have a DB-8 as well and love it. I was surprised how good it is, actually. Tonally, it's very much like the phono section in my tube ARC Sp-3a1 preamp, but quieter with better dynamics. It's a terrific value. I had a VP-129 as well that I didn't like as much, and then it developed a hum that I never was able to fix.
 
JohnVF & ehoove - I'm curious as to how inconvenient do you find the necessary 5 minute warmup period on the DB8 (or do you just leave it on at all times)?
 
I left mine on all the time. There isn't an off button on mine anyway, not sure if there is one on the DB-8s with the beefier power supply. I still use mine in my second system though the phono preamp in my Marantz preamp won out, after much debate, in my main system. That it could keep up with the Marantz (this is a modern, 'reference-line" component) is pretty impressive, even subjectively beating it to my ears early on, as the phono section in the Marantz is no afterthought.

I've played it prior to the 'warm up', immediately after plugging it in and it didn't sound as good but it still played. It would settle down an achieve a greater level of refinement after a short time. It's a wonderful little phono pre. I plan on getting the power supply mod at some point down the road.
 
Thanks ehoove, for taking the time to do the comparo -- much appreciated and though I've already spent my allotment on the 640P it's given me food for thought.
 
Nice write up. I need a second phono-pre and was debating on whether to get another 640p or try something new. I think you helped me make my decision. Thanks.
 
JohnVF & ehoove - I'm curious as to how inconvenient do you find the necessary 5 minute warmup period on the DB8 (or do you just leave it on at all times)?

I don't notice it much since I turn my Main rig on and leave it warm up a bit before listening anyway, but there is an appreciable difference in quality after the warm up period.

Regards,
Jim
 
The dB isnt much to look at, that's for sure (basic black box with small while DB logo on front; no LED)— but I've been very happy with it. Since it so doesnt have an on/off switch, I leave it plugged in so it's good to go when I get the urge to play some vinyl...

dbphono2.jpg
 
ehoove, how did you equalize the gain between the 3 pre's, or was it not a immediate a/b/c comparison?

I was happy for the most part with my current CA 640p, but found that a PS upgrade helped it quite a bit too, at least in my system. The stock wall-wart was definately inadequate.
 
Thanks for the comparison. I have a DB-8 as well and love it. I was surprised how good it is, actually. Tonally, it's very much like the phono section in my tube ARC Sp-3a1 preamp, but quieter with better dynamics. It's a terrific value. I had a VP-129 as well that I didn't like as much, and then it developed a hum that I never was able to fix.

Interesting. Looks like I have another candidate for my next phono stage.

Anybody compared to the Hagerman Bugle?
 
ehoove, how did you equalize the gain between the 3 pre's, or was it not a immediate a/b/c comparison?

I was happy for the most part with my current CA 640p, but found that a PS upgrade helped it quite a bit too, at least in my system. The stock wall-wart was definately inadequate.

I graded each one at a time in 7 categories using a DB meter to make sure the volume levels matched. The DB8 had the most gain, followed by the 640p, then the Bellari (Which has a vol control which I ran at 1 O'clock)

The categories were as follows:
Overall Presentation
Balance of Frequencies
Attack
Decay
Sound Stage Width
Sound stage Depth
Imaging

Please remember these are my observations on my main rig using my ears, your thoughts could be different. Also I have never had a hum or noise issue with my Bellari.

Regards,
Jim
 
Here are some pics! Note : The DB Systems preamp is not very visible in my rack so temporarily moved it so you could see it
Regards,
Jim

Thanks Jim. Geez it really is just a black box. But you know they put the money into performance instead, similar to how NAD does it. The chassis is an expensive part of the equation.

I have a DB-8 as well and love it. I was surprised how good it is, actually.

Ok, I've been out of the vinyl loop for quite a while now. Is this thing the latest discovery or something? How long has it been around? I'd never heard of it until this thread.

You're still waiting for the ps upgrade Jim?
 
Ok, I've been out of the vinyl loop for quite a while now. Is this thing the latest discovery or something? How long has it been around? I'd never heard of it until this thread.

You're still waiting for the ps upgrade Jim?

It's been around for a long time best I can tell. I wasn't aware of it, either, until a generous AKer offered to sell one to me. It's really good, but there's not anything you can adjust on the one I have...though you can basically order it from the 'factory' (probably some guy's basement) to be adjusted for your cartridge, I think. It's sold only on the internet, so there's no middle man, and also there's no marketing...only word of mouth as far as I know. So the money goes into parts and sound, it seems.
 
Nice write up Jim! Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this. I was unaware of the DB8 as well Hmmmm.
 
The DB8 products are well thought of on VE, and Blue Shadow brought it to my attention. BTW The Azur640p will do duty while the preamp goes back for the power supply up grade, which I understand is hard wired and much much more than a bigger wall wart. The DB8 just gets better and better as it burns in. I have to say that the session night before last was very jaw dropping sonic wise. The Blackbird is very quiet as far as surface noise, and this combo is amazingly clean and free of any background noise. I'm really stoked over this plain Jane preamp.

Regards,
Jim
 
Last edited:
Nice. That's on my short list of budget phono stages now. Curious to hear your thoughts on the power supply upgrade.
 
FWI DB Systems have been in business since 1975 how long the DB 8 has been produced I can't say. It is now in transit back to DB Systems for the Regulated Power supply upgrade.
Regards,
Jim
 
The DB8 was introduced in 1985 according to David at DB systems. I must say that the power supply upgrade while almost as much as the DB8 is worth the money! Everything is more focused and smoother! Defiantly worth the money upfront.
Regards,
Jim
 
Thanks again for doing the shootout ehoove, appreciated your time, effort and thoughts on this. Though now I'm wondering how the DB8 with the PS upgrade compares to the Clearaudio Nano, because price wise they're in the same bracket now.

Edit
Immediate plus over the Nano, I guess, would be that one could upgrade the DB8 at a later date. So that could be a consideration too.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom