• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Connecting line level powered subwoofer to vintage Sansui?

GreenCoast71

New Member
My latest bone-headed move....

Picked up a new Klipsch subwoofer with the intent of pairing with some bookshelf speakers to connect with a Sansui 505. Problem is, the subwoofer only has one L/R RCA connection with no speaker in/outs. Obviously I should have looked at that closer before purchasing!

So my question is: would a line level converter, connected to the Sansui speaker B, get me to where I need to be, playing speakers A and B together? Or am I better off getting rid of the sub and finding one with speaker in/out?
 
Register to hide this ad
My latest bone-headed move....

Picked up a new Klipsch subwoofer with the intent of pairing with some bookshelf speakers to connect with a Sansui 505. Problem is, the subwoofer only has one L/R RCA connection with no speaker in/outs. Obviously I should have looked at that closer before purchasing!

So my question is: would a line level converter, connected to the Sansui speaker B, get me to where I need to be, playing speakers A and B together? Or am I better off getting rid of the sub and finding one with speaker in/out?
Go in through the headphone to the sub in u can split it if u want two signals.
 
One thing buy good cables and the reducer to go in the headphone jack ..If u dont u will get ground loop hum but a couple more bucks on this will work i run my old amp the same way and it does well

Which cable would you recommend? So you run a splitter from the headphone jack directly into a powered sub? Just want to make sure I'm following
 
I'm nervous giving advice since it's been so long since I've used a receiver with a tape deck, but I think that's how it works.
Maybe someone can back me up? Oh wait, never mind. I think the tape out would not increase with the volume so it wouldn't work.
See, that's why I stick to automotive repair advice.
 
I'm nervous giving advice since it's been so long since I've used a receiver with a tape deck, but I think that's how it works.
Maybe someone can back me up? Oh wait, never mind. I think the tape out would not increase with the volume so it wouldn't work.
See, that's why I stick to automotive repair advice.

LOL..., Thanks!
 
That would work. Are you using the Tape Out?
BTW I have an old QRX-5500.
If u go by the 1/4 to 1/8h stereo or if they have the full size i buy that i made mine. But if u go headphones to sub in and like i said if u want to get a one way to two way connector monster cable has one that works. U don't have to go into tape or tape monitor. You just turn on your A speakers or whatever u use. Turn the volume up a little and adjust the sub volume, it will rise and fall with your volume knob. If u try and run it through tape in your going to get whatever the sub is set at no matter the volume is doing. These seem to run better without loudness button or bass or treble Flat. I hope this helped
 
As far as I know, aside from cutting the signal level down to line level, there is no other alteration of the signal

Got it, thanks!

Out of curiosity, for amps of similar vintage, but may have only a single set of speaker terminals, would one be able to connect both main L/R as well as the speaker/line level converter to the same posts? So two sets of wires per post?
 
without that converter I would say yes, without a doubt. you could connect a powered sub at speaker level to an amp.

A powered sub presents a high impedance to the amp

The key issue here is the impedance presented to the amp. any info on what the converter presents to the amp would be helpful,

...or, you could measure it with an ohmmeter to get a ballpark figure. the higher number, the better.

As a guess, I would assume it would be fine with the converter as I would hope it presents a high impedance to the anp.
 
without that converter I would say yes, without a doubt. you could connect a powered sub at speaker level to an amp.

A powered sub presents a high impedance to the amp

The key issue here is the impedance presented to the amp. any info on what the converter presents to the amp would be helpful,

...or, you could measure it with an ohmmeter to get a ballpark figure. the higher number, the better.

As a guess, I would assume it would be fine with the converter as I would hope it presents a high impedance to the anp.

Sure, I follow. Thanks again for weighing in
 
If u go by the 1/4 to 1/8h stereo or if they have the full size i buy that i made mine. But if u go headphones to sub in and like i said if u want to get a one way to two way connector monster cable has one that works. U don't have to go into tape or tape monitor. You just turn on your A speakers or whatever u use. Turn the volume up a little and adjust the sub volume, it will rise and fall with your volume knob. If u try and run it through tape in your going to get whatever the sub is set at no matter the volume is doing. These seem to run better without loudness button or bass or treble Flat. I hope this helped

Yes, very helpful & interesting! To be honest, never heard of the headphone jack as a possible connection. I'm intrigued and plan to test that approach out
 
Back
Top Bottom