• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Convince Me to Not Buy a Pioneer SX-1980

If you really want a Pioneer of that vintage, the one to get is the SX-1250. I've had both at the same time, both overhauled by the same tech, and the 1980 didn't hold a candle to the 1250. I sold the 1980 quickly for a nice profit. Single most disappointing audio purchase I've ever made.

Don't think it was the worst purchase I ever made but I agree that the 1250 sounded much better. Sold my 1980 and kept the 1250.
 
had both ,1980 and a 1250,liked the sound of the 1250 better powering Altec lansing model 14's.Niether sounded or looked as good as my other totl receiver...rotel rx 1603
And non of the ubove sound near as good as my fisher tubes amps!!
 
Don't think it was the worst purchase I ever made but I agree that the 1250 sounded much better. Sold my 1980 and kept the 1250.
The disappointment stemmed from the fact that I just KNEW this would be the "the one". The legendary monster receiver. So much for fooling myself into believing it would sound great.
 
i have also been told the bigger 1980 can cost an arm to fix,although,just to have it would be something. there was one on display out here in a shop outside Vancouver.What a huge lump,and you'll need a huge lump o cash to own it.i did score a 1250,two weeks ago for chump change. i lucked out.-and it's a 9.5 i'll never part with it.(okay,maybe if it's that time) Been searching for that sound, and looks for years. now i have one.i did have to buy another stand for it as it would not fit in my main rack.gonna need concrete for that 1980.and does the 1980 sound that much better than a good sx 1250?
 
If SQ is the ultimate goal this isn't the path. Buy them for what they are and what they represent but mine was bested for SQ by a renovated tube console amp with a passive level control. Obviously this doesn't work with power hungry speakers but getting the same SQ from them costs waaaay more and involves higher end class gear with serious cajones.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Went and looked at it, decent enough, wife walked in and looked and left lol.

So that's it? I wasn't going to ask until after you'd bought it but would you mind saying where this store is? I used to know a bunch of places to find used stereo components but that was 10 years ago and many of them are gone now. I just like to go and look.
 
Audio oasis on queen st east. I have no issues providing a lead, I knew my wife would be pissed if I spent money , I've dropped 4k in 6 months so it's understandable .

Hint, bring cash.
 
Thanks, I'll check it out. I don't want or need anything right now but I miss going to look at stuff I haven't seen before. High rents seem to have killed off a lot of the businesses on Queen West that had character.
 
Last edited:
If you really want a Pioneer of that vintage, the one to get is the SX-1250. I've had both at the same time, both overhauled by the same tech, and the 1980 didn't hold a candle to the 1250. I sold the 1980 quickly for a nice profit. Single most disappointing audio purchase I've ever made.

In what ways is the 1250 better?
 
Never had a SX1980 so I can't comment on the sound quality . But after reading all the unobtanium parts that is in the beast , that would make me shy away from one . If you are so inclined , check out Mark the Fixer's threads on the 1980 . They can be fixed , but it looks like they are involved .

I do have a SX1250 powering a set of HPM150's and it is a beautiful piece of equipment . Sounds great and works well . I did have a SX1080 that was also beautiful and sounded good although it was always a little scratchy in the controls . It may have had a harder life than the 1250 .

Aren't the parts for the 1280 just as unobtainable as the 1980?
 
SX-1980 in restored condition is top for my opinion. With two sets hpm-100 and SX-1980, never have experienced better. When comparing with restored SX-1250, SX-1010, SX-3900 or even Exclusive C3/M3, I still like the SX-1980.
Probably, it will be the last I would sell.
 
In what ways is the 1250 better?

The SX-1250 just plain sounded better. Deeper, more 3D image. Smoother overall. Only thing the SX-1980 had going for it was that incredible sense of power. It really had all kinds of balls to it. I've had stronger amps since then, but nothing that ever felt as strong, if that makes sense.

It all depends on what you want. If it's a stunning, nostalgic showpiece, then the SX-1980 is incredible. It's certainly the finest looking receiver I ever had. And I've had a bunch of them. But if ultimate sound quality is what you are after, you can get a whole lot more of it for much less money.
 
I bought my 1980 new in 1979. Still have it and will never part with it. Ive used it on various speakers and to me, it worked best with a set of 901 series Iv and then V. Sounded pretty good on HPM 1500's and awful thru my Lascalas. I still have the Lascalas and haven't used my 1980 regularly since 1981 when I went with separates.

The 1980 only gets used these days a few weeks out of the year just to get it warmed (hot0 up and keep it fresh. Id never even consider selling it. More for sentiment as me and that 1980 traveled all over from when I bought it in Colorado Springs in 79 to Germany and back. Thru too many of these here United States to list.

Not sure really how to advise you on this. Is the price decent? Ive seen 1980's go in excess of $3K. Is it really worth it to YOU? Have you heard it, compared it to anything else to make some comparisons? I would do all these unless your buying one just to have it. Only you can decide.
 
Last edited:
SX-1980 vs SX-1250

Well again just to offer a different opinion, back 3-4 years ago I bought an SX-1250 and an SX-1980, both stock, to compare and see which to have fully restored. Via the line input, I found the differences to be minimal. The 1250 was a bit smoother sounding. The phono input however was a hands down slam dunk win for the SX-1980. Lower noise, better resolution, more delicacy. So on the basis of that, and yes the fact that I liked the looks of the 1980 better, the 1980 got the full restore (from AKer Mattsd) and the 1250 got sold.

The 1980 also sounded much, much better after the full restore. As I'm sure the 1250 would have. I'd love to compare fully restored samples of each someday, since unrestored units may not be typical of what the model can sound like.
 
The SX-1250 just plain sounded better. Deeper, more 3D image. Smoother overall. Only thing the SX-1980 had going for it was that incredible sense of power. It really had all kinds of balls to it. I've had stronger amps since then, but nothing that ever felt as strong, if that makes sense.

It all depends on what you want. If it's a stunning, nostalgic showpiece, then the SX-1980 is incredible. It's certainly the finest looking receiver I ever had. And I've had a bunch of them. But if ultimate sound quality is what you are after, you can get a whole lot more of it for much less money.

I'm not necessarily looking for a receiver that sounds "better" because "better" is subjective. I'm looking for something clean and powerful, and the 1980's output is cleaner and more powerful than the 1250. To me, that means it is better.
 
I always wanted one, searched for years. Once I got one I was very un-impressed with the sound. The looks are fantastic and the bragging rights but at 5 times the cost of a 1250? Rebuilt it may sound like a totally different animal so if you have the coin you will always get your money back if you don't like it. Everyone should own one at least once. Definitely the show piece in ones listening room that's for damn sure!
 
The phono input however was a hands down slam dunk win for the SX-1980. Lower noise, better resolution,
More testimony for a jfet in the front end of a good phono amp.
Anyone want one for your old Pioneer? I suggest a NXP BF862 jfet matched pair and use the rest of same ckt as Pioneer used if you want, it is a rather simple design.

Having more output power usually means cleaner power, due to dynamic range alone. A good experiment is to hook a scope up to the o/p of your amp as you are blasting the tunes. It is easy to see how many times your amp clips. This is why some chose tubes, MOSFETs, since they clip softer than do bjts. Same goes for feedback or no feedback. If the amp does not clip, then it is a different test.

I see someone else using a Conrad Johnson product = tube sound.
 
Last edited:
Get a SX1250 and get 4 36DA Nippon Chemi-Con 22000uf@ 100v filter caps for it (dropped replacement).From what I have read the SX1250 started the receiver wars . It wasn't the first but its was the first over engineered unit ,look at the transformer. The sound is smooth but has punch. What about the Sx1980 output transistors is there a fix for that ? I know the techs here were working on it .
 
sx-1980, I thought that you can get Sanken devices in the "MT" package that matches the original bjt footprint, from NEC or Fujitsu? Others have made conversion hardware to use bjts in the TO-264 pkg.
One marvelous device which I do not know if anyone has tried out yet, is the Magnatec MG6333/MG9413, it is rated at 400W,30A = wow!!
Actually the 1250 transformer is on the small side for a good 200W audio PA, look at the power into 4 ohms, it ain't that much more than it is for 8 ohm, not enough VA rating and the ecaps are on the small side, but for most it is more than good enough.
 
PA" public address system? Its more than enough for home use .Its not made to be play full on all time . The Achilles heel is the stabilizer board ,runs hot.
 
Back
Top Bottom