• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Coral BX-24

Childof60

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I picked up a pair of Coral BX-24's today at an estate sale for $20 in perfect condition. I cannot seem to find much information regarding these little gems. One has a serial number of 1! Is anyone familiar with this brand and model?

Thx.
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice find those Corals
Sweet sounding Drivers
Problem is that they cannot take much
Power so they can’t be Pushed!
I’ve seen a few of them used in smaller Horn enclosure Low power only
Bobhorn
Xovers are crape also
 
Thanks for the information. I have not opened them up yet. I assume a simple cross over design. The cabinets and awesome grill cloth are essentially perfect. I want to move carefully.
 
Well, a second try to add the pictures.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 129
Thanks! Those are really nice! I never seen that model before. Are they just a single full range driver in there? I agree the serial number looks legit, that would be amazing if that were the case, and then to get several thousand away as its mate.
 
I will head back to the sale in the morning to look again for more speakers. The owner had the home extensively wired for a central stereo system and these were in a corner of his his office hidden under office supplies. Worth a second look. I also saw a couple of other items worth a second trip.
 
So, replaced the single cross over cap and fired them up with a Pioneer SX-3700. They are very well constructed and surprisingly efficient - do not require much power to drive to full volume. I have them hooked up for an A/B comparison with modern Andrew Jones designed Pioneer speakers of roughly the same size. They certainly sonicly compare favorably, with a much lower power requirement than the Pioneer speakers. and a much better "look". Overall they are a nice package with decent low end punch and a bit lacking on the high end. In the end they are drop dead gorgeous and worthy of a small system for my college son with taste towards acoustic. Just for fun I may try them with a 12W tube setup.
 
Nice find on the Corals. I have a pair of BX-300's and the floor model counterpart the BX-1001's. They are extremely efficient and sound good with both ss and tube equipment. They have some really nice veneer finishes. Mine are great with acoustic/jazz and vocals. They should do well for a college system for your son. S/N 1 is outstanding. :thumbsup:Thanks for sharing your find.

Mark
 
Last edited:
Coral made some seriously good drivers. The Coral Holey Basket drivers ( alnico motors ) in these Frugal Horns came from a TOTL Sony reel to reel and outclass the Fostex's they replaced. Corals are efficient and tube friendly.

P1010010.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Nice find! I have a pair as well, but haven't found a proper use for them yet. They check all the boxes for me as far as looks and efficiency. I also have a pair of Coral BX-201's. The style is not for everyone, but they're eye candy to me.
IMG_2392.jpeg

IMG_3650.JPEG
 
Back
Top Bottom