• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Counting the Cost of Tuner Lust

Why not enjoy the ride through the galaxy of less-coveted but still competent tuners out there? Plenty of fun stuff out there with a $20 note and a few decent thrift shops to rummage through.

Not only that, but some of the less competent tuners can be made into world beaters by following the help provided at www.fmtunerinfo.com. I did this with a Kenwood KT-7550 that I got cheap on eBay, and it is now my most prized source component. I listen to it constantly. Smooth, detailed and transparent sound!
 
I look at the cost of new and the cost of new being properly repaired if it breaks, then the same with vintage being completely rebuilt and the cost of proper maintenance and service. Then I think of the multitude great TOTL separates to be had by multiple manufacturers for a fraction of new. I’m sure that someone as notable as yourself would easily have one of the best rebuilders on this site hook you up. For something with a remote I’d go with the best separates that came out of the early 90’s. The rest is all research and logistics....

I’ve often thought about vintage McIntosh tube separates with better internal components and gold alloyed wire.
 
Despite an ever-dwindling selection of FM stations to listen to I still enjoy my Sansui TU-9900. I use it at least once a week for a couple of hours, often simply early morning news/talk on AM...far below it's capabilities. It's a great sounding piece with heft in every sense of the word and looks beautiful. I much prefer it to the Sony XDR-F1HD I had for many reasons. If you can live without a remote (as you state) I say look for a vintage Sansui. I only sold my TU-717 because I found the 9900 at a steal; both are great to look at and listen to.
I'd like to find a TU717 to pair up with my AU-717
 
I see Marantz ST 6000 units on Ebay in the $50 and cheaper range. Well worth it. New enough to be reliable if working well now.
 
I am a sucker for the look of 70's era Marantz units. The top of the heap tuner of this era was the Marantz 150. I have a Marantz 125, which is the non-scope version of the 150. Both are superior tuners - certainly not the world's best, but way above average. But you mentioned that looks were important, and these are real lookers. :thumbsup:
 
My current tuner in my study is a Sony XDR-F1HD. I recently watched a video that pointed out the fact that Sony made an error when they built it. They set the power supply for 100 watts which is the power in Japan. Here in the states our 120 Volts will cause it to run too hot, even causing melted components on the motherboard. Bummer!

Being in an area that experiences winter gales and other coastal weather problems, loss of power is always a possibility and an unmodified XDR will lose the stored data if that happens. This has happened to me on a number of occasions and I found that to be very annoying. I finally tossed in the towel and purchased a used Yamaha tuner as a replacement and hopefully it will get here in two weeks.
 
Just got my 1989 FT101 back from the factory; they replaced the power switch. Only repair since my dad bought it back in 1989. It works and sounds like new. MD still repair all of their past models! Owner Jim Richards told me he has a mint used Etude for sale and they sell direct. Wouldn't hurt to call him and have a chat. He probably has other tuners for sale. Don't let used scare you; the factory takes in trades when customers trade up and they go over the old tuner with a fine-tooth comb and ensure they leave the factory within spec. Also remote capability is available with many of the older models. Happy tuner hunting...
 
I see Marantz ST 6000 units on Ebay in the $50 and cheaper range. Well worth it. New enough to be reliable if working well now.

Nice deal! I've been looking for a McIntosh MR85 for a couple of years now. Very hard to find under $1250 or more. Often much more. Even with the so-called 'Mac tax', what are people doing with these? I just want one to go with my other stuff. Hmm, maybe that's what they're doing with them.

j44ztksilcua2sgnsiqo.jpg
 
I`ve 3 Mac tuners, but all are unused, because, as you might have guessed, all the FM stations within range suck, in programs/music selection, & the compression, so ripping all my CD`s in WAV. were the only route !!
Enjoy what might be left available in your market, while you can.
 
I`ve 3 Mac tuners, but all are unused, because, as you might have guessed, all the FM stations within range suck, in programs/music selection, & the compression, so ripping all my CD`s in WAV. were the only route !!
Enjoy what might be left available in your market, while you can.

I feel your pain. I have only one or two stations that I can receive which play my kind of music. To my north is Long Island Sound and Connecticut. To my south is Peconic Bay and the Hamptons. To my East is Block island Sound and the Atlantic Ocean. To my west is New York City which is over 100 miles away!

Don’t get me wrong, I love it where I live, but the FM really sucks out here, so I use the internet a lot.
 
I feel your pain. I have only one or two stations that I can receive which play my kind of music. To my north is Long Island Sound and Connecticut. To my south is Peconic Bay and the Hamptons. To my East is Block island Sound and the Atlantic Ocean. To my west is New York City which is over 100 miles away!

Don’t get me wrong, I love it where I live, but the FM really sucks out here, so I use the internet a lot.

johnda, I walked away from my regional FM stations in the early nineties, and haven`t looked back, no love lost, or pain !

Once I bought my Sony 10 CD disc cartridge player, and a bunch of extra cartridges and filled them up, that started me on my way to "controlled in house music programing" ..
And it just expanded/developed from there, with currently WAV. computer ripped 10 k +, and growing songs.. Music that I like, and no commercials, or voice overs, or any additional compression outside the original recorded source.
Totally in house media, both video, and music.
Wouldn`t have it any other way.
 
I have an FT-101a that I acquired from the original owner. It is in mint condition. Unfortunately, about a year ago it started drifting badly. It would, in rather short order go off the tuned station by .3 MHz or more. Prior to that development it performed quite well, tuned in weak stations well and the filters were actually useful, when selected would not seriously degrade the sound like so many other tuners I've experienced in the past.

I was going to get it repaired but I stumbled across a great deal (way less than the cost to refurb the 101a) on a Yamaha TX-1000U in excellent condition that works wonderfully and is able to pull in everything the MD could. Maybe not quite as ergonomic or enjoyable to use but a fine performer.
 
Bill, sounds like you have found your niche! Way to go. Sandstorm, congrats on the Yamaha! I just picked up a used Yamaha TX-480 tuner and it is a sweetheart! Those Yamahas are really nice!:music:​
 
This beauty cost me $36 plus shipping. And it works! Sherwood HP 5500. The last made-in-Chicago all-analog Sherwood.
s-l1600.jpg
 
The radio in and around Seattle is abysmal. IF I'm just putsing around town in my car I might turn on talk radio or npr, but other than that it's pretty slim pickings unless you like the noise from KEXP these days. I can't remember the last time I had radio on in the house.
[URL='https://www.knkx.org/']
My favorite fm station in the world is in Sea-Tac!
https://www.knkx.org/[/URL]
 
It takes persistence and some luck - I got my ADS tuner at in estate sale in the last minutes of the sale for fifteen bucks.

Persistence and luck finally dropped by for a visit. I recently found a fairly clean Kenwood KT-7500 locally for a very fair price. The dial and meter lights even work!
 
Back
Top Bottom