• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Crazy Systems Thread [56K warning]

My 2C:
1. The observation about the TT being placed in front of the hork is a sharp one - good eye there. But be sure that the TT was placed in front of the horn just for the photo:The guy obviously knows how to construct a setup.
2. Yessss, he is quite the mad professor. But so what? I'll go to his university for a PHd. Hasn't anybody here heard :screwy: remarks from the guys when they heard we spent 1000$ on an amp - when there's a perfectly good Yorx integrated system for 99.99$ and a milk carton cupon??
3. With the size of those horns, and the system overall, I hope he has no naighburs.
 
Excess aside, these do seem incompatible with music enjoyment:

6g054eg.jpg


Rainy days are the best days to enjoy music, yet trying to listen to those on such a days would be not too far from rain on a tin roof mechanically amplified. Nevermind trying to listen to music late in the evening and hearing raccoons or the neighbor's cat running up and down those.

Then there's the dusting ... the guy would need to hire a chimney sweep to clean the inside of those horns and those kids are hard to find outside of 19th century London.

Anyone see anything to time align all those drivers of such disparate distances? Without it, the guy will be getting his money worth on transients -- five taps for each one in the recording.

- JP


After my first post I thought of the time delay and possible rain noise problems, plus pet's. There is room for a medium sized dog to get stuck in one of those horns when it goes exploring to find where the outside bird noises are coming from.
 
The (Pot and Pan) power amps are Josh Stippich's; same kind that Terry Cain used. And maybe the speakers as well. I'm not sure about the V-8 Pre/power amp.

Beautiful ! ! ! But it sort of negates the use of the back yard.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

And you know, it always takes me a while to get the speakers in the right spot. I hope he did that first.

I also agree with the rain on a tin roof. But, it has been over 100 degrees here. I bet those horns bring a lot of heat into the room. And metal expands with heat . . . OOOOOooooo!
 
I guess It can never be to loud! :D

I bet it goes up to 150dB with ease
And My mom thought those PA speakers i wanted were too big!

I bet he thought the klipschorns wern't "bright" enough1 I never even heard a kipsch speaker but I have heard a set of Horn speakers before and they can get pretty ear shattering! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I wonder what his electric bill is? :eek:
 
I could be wrong, but I think his subbass horns are made of wood, treated and painted black, and with some sort of insulation wrapped over them for protection against the elements (and animals).
 
The (Pot and Pan) power amps are Josh Stippich's; same kind that Terry Cain used. And maybe the speakers as well. I'm not sure about the V-8 Pre/power amp.

I just searched around for some of Josh's work.. WOW.. he's the Jessie James (motorcycles) of amp building for sure.. wild idea's and serious talent.. Bet his prices make Mac gear look like goodwill clearance prices..
 
I met Josh at VSAC 2003. He is not like the other animals. A truly unique personality. Don't read that wrong, a very nice guy. And his speakers are wild!

Check out Six Moons Audio's coverage (I'll find it soon).
 
looking at his designs, you can tell he doesn't think like most people.. I bet he is a pretty cool person.. a true artist for sure..
 
looking at his designs, you can tell he doesn't think like most people.. I bet he is a pretty cool person.. a true artist for sure..

IIRC Mother was an industrial designer, Father was an artist. He grew up with a metal shop in the basement.
 
IIRC Mother was an industrial designer, Father was an artist. He grew up with a metal shop in the basement.

His talent is very impressive... I'd kill just to have his metal talents since I love working with metal so much.. I couldn't imagine being able to have amp designing talent on top of it.. I wonder if he designs his own, or uses other poples designs?
 
Back
Top Bottom