• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Cringe Worthy Ad

Register to hide this ad
From the ad.

"The H. H. Scott 340B tube stereo amplifier/tuner needs repair, and I'll sell separately for $400. This unit played music while testing, played on the right side only. After getting hot, the unit then shut down."

01111_a6kHwQbMViZz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
 
Those 2 left tubes are red plating so bad..just a matter of time before it takes out the O/P transformer..then it will be worth nothing..$3k??? There are people with lots of money that would pay that. 10 years ago I could buy like a Scott 299 for $199. I see $1700 and it's as is...agreed pure greed!!
 
Those 2 left tubes are red plating so bad..just a matter of time before it takes out the O/P transformer..then it will be worth nothing..$3k??? There are people with lots of money that would pay that. 10 years ago I could buy like a Scott 299 for $199. I see $1700 and it's as is...agreed pure greed!!
That might have been the “shut down when it got hot” they mentioned. OPT might have said no thanks and opened up from the current draw.
 
I've run into several old tube consoles in thrift and so called antique and collectibles stores that were plugged in and playing. I even talked to one store owner about just plugging in old tube gear and the chance they are taking.
I just got a shrug and " it seems to be working just fine as is".
 
Half tempted to make an offer on the 340B just to rescue it and restore it properly.
The shut down part is scary though. Hopefully the fuse blew first before the transfomer..
 
What I found interesting was he stated that the console had been moved only once since 1964 like that somehow made it more valuable, to me it only shows that that they change the carpet ever 60 years or so.



Regards Snow
 
Never had any tube stuff before, but find them fascinating. If you don't plug it in, how would you know if it is/isn't going to red plate? What kind of preventive action should be done first?
 
ImI even talked to one store owner about just plugging in old tube gear and the chance they are taking.
I just got a shrug and " it seems to be working just fine as is".
It’s because they have nothing into it and don’t care.
 
Never had any tube stuff before, but find them fascinating. If you don't plug it in, how would you know if it is/isn't going to red plate? What kind of preventive action should be done first?
I cant speak for anyone else but for me when I get a new unknown tube unit I will hook them up to a variac which delivers voltage at a low level and increase the voltage over time so I can easily see if there is any issues before giving it full power this helps reform the caps also, then I will test all the tubes before any lengthy listening sessions.

Regards Snow
 
Back
Top Bottom