• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cute kitty cat at work eats wabbits

meggy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
bobcat2.jpg
[/IMG]

This fluffy little kitty hangs around my wife's office. The coyotes have been pretty much fearless lately too. See 'em night and day, just trottin' around snatching rabbits. Waaaay too much construction going on around here now. Displaces all the critters and forces them to be less fearful of people.

Cool pic, though.
 
Register to hide this ad
That is a cute kittie...RIP lil Wabbit...

yeah it sucks with all the unrelenting expansion....thoughtless!
 
That kitty is GORGEOUS!! It warms my heart to know they're still out there. For how much longer I wonder...
 
That kitty is GORGEOUS!! It warms my heart to know they're still out there. For how much longer I wonder...

They were relocating them.
Now I think they just shoot them. Too much hysteria about them eating pets and such. plus the nationally aired story of one attacking a kid on an ATV didn't help their cause much.
 
I don't say this very often; and I certainly mean no disrespect to ANY of the fine people who are kind enough to share such wonderful things on this site...

I grew up in the great north woods of Northern Wisconsin. I was wonderfully privileged to have spent the most formative years of life amongst the gentle and generous caress of nature.

Often--amidst the din of the city and the pettiness of my daily dash for cash--I am struck with a pang of deep sadness as I come to realize that of all the amazing and majestic creatures that adorn this beautiful blue rock, humans would end up being one of my least favorite...

Trite garbage!! I apologize.
 
It's simple stop breeding humans in 50 years things will be much better.

by the way I eat rabbits too YUMYUM
 
Not much of a coyote fan , but I like the kitty. Coyote populations far exceed those of 100 years ago. I've seen several in a suburb of Columbus , OH. Should I find one in the immediate vicinity of my home I'm gonna go all RoadRunner on his a$$. My mother had to run two out of her yard a couple years ago. In their present numbers they are just dangerous vermin.
 
That kitty is GORGEOUS!! It warms my heart to know they're still out there. For how much longer I wonder...

Bobcats are thriving. They even get sighted in suburban Massachusetts along with coyotes and even eastern mountain lions & wolverines a little bit further north. There seems to be no shortage of endangered species around here nor missing pets.
 
Endangered or not, Sierra Club & all notwithstanding, if one of those critters goes after Gomez or Morticia, it'll have to answer to me...An' maybe Mr. Fal...
 
I'm sure they (and countless other species, especially the ones we've made extinct) view us in exactly the same way.

Coyotes are one species I doubt we could extinguish if we tried. They run the streets here at night out in the burbs and have no fear of humans. After many generations of being urbanized they are very well adapted to city life.


From Wikepedia


Adaptation to human environment

A coyote standing by a road in ArizonaDespite being extensively hunted, the coyote is one of the few medium-to-large-sized animals that has enlarged its range since human encroachment began. It originally ranged primarily in the western half of North America, but it has adapted readily to the changes caused by human occupation and, since the early 19th century, has been steadily and dramatically extending its range [27]. Sightings now commonly occur in California, Oregon, New England, and eastern Canada. Coyotes have been seen in nearly every continental U.S. state, including Alaska. Coyotes have moved into most of the areas of North America formerly occupied by wolves, and are often observed foraging in suburban trashcans.

Coyotes also thrive in suburban settings and even some urban ones. A study by wildlife ecologists at Ohio State University yielded some surprising findings in this regard. Researchers studied coyote populations in Chicago over a seven-year period (2000–2007), proposing that coyotes have adapted well to living in densely populated urban environments while avoiding contact with humans. They found, among other things, that urban coyotes tend to live longer than their rural counterparts, kill rodents and small pets, and live anywhere from parks to industrial areas. The researchers estimate that there are up to 2,000 coyotes living in "the greater Chicago area" and that this circumstance may well apply to many other urban landscapes in North America.[28] In Washington DC's Rock Creek Park, coyotes den and raise their young, scavenge roadkill, and hunt rodents. "I don't see it as a bad thing for a park," the assigned National Park Service biologist told a reporter for Smithsonian Magazine (March 2006). "I see it as good for keeping animal populations in control, like the squirrels and the mice." As a testament to the coyote's habitat adaptability, a coyote (known as "Hal the Central Park Coyote") was even captured in Manhattan's Central Park in March 2006 after being chased by city wildlife officials for two days.
 
Yup. I have an 8 year old and coyotes hunt in pairs and packs. In an urban environment , I stand by the "dangerous vermin". How they view me is of little to no importance to me. Why is it we're supposed to be all respectful of "the natural order" , but killing dangerous stuff is wrong? A bear wouldn't tolerate a pack of wolves in the vicinity of her cub , yet if I ventilate a coyote in the vicinity of mine I'm just an old meanie? :scratch2: We're animals too , we evolved on this planet and we are part of that natural order-we're not invaders from space. I think.
 
Alaric, there is a logic to what you are saying. But the context in which the comaprison's take place are not.

I take issue with the fact that we encroach everywhere and drive stuff to extinction and ruin the natural future for everyone. Of course no one would think ill of anyone shooting an animal in defense of your own, that goes without saying. But we have treated nature and its animals as basically worthless things (besides the $$ aspect of profit), and we are not evolving our ways of urbanizing and living with nature, not against it.

It got to a point long ago in my life, where I realized that we are acting ridiculously selfish and its time to turn the boat a bit, to give these animals a breather. Its not a matter of being a tree hugger or not, but of simply thinking that there has to be a better way to live/build without always giving it to nature up the ass!

Doesnt everyone feel sadness when large tracts of forest gets turned into subdivisions? and when the animals have no place to hide/live, they become Vermin...well, It seems unfair to me and single minded.
 
we evolved on this planet and we are part of that natural order-we're not invaders from space. I think.

There is no longer a "natural order." We have destroyed that and continue to have a profound negative impact on every single aspect of this planet.
 
Back
Top Bottom