• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cute little console in Fla.

Register to hide this ad
Truetone was sold by Western Auto and was probably made by somebody else.

I just found this on the radiomuseum site. I guess other manufacturers used the name also but I believe that is a Western Auto because of the symbol.

From Radiomuseum:

"Facts:
The following manufactureres used the brand Truetone: Belmont, Warwick, Wells Gardener and Western Auto Supply Co. In the schematic collections we find Truetone for SAMS and Western for Beitman and Rider. Most later collector books list the models as Truetone. Western used different brands.
Conclusion:
All Western Auto Supply Co. products we list as Western. Where we know that the brand "Truetone" can be read on a given set we use this brand name (or other brand names) in the model name field in front of the other name(s) or number(s). Up to year 2009 we did not mention the brand. Therefore this is not complete (yet) - 1st Feb we have 155 of 511 models with this brand in the name."
 
Looks to me like the Columbia we had when I was a kid.

Hot chassis so no direct feedback in the amp, and the cartridge body is hot. Has a removable speaker on the left side for stereo separation if desired, which matches the cabinet, though I remember ours having darker wood. It slid out the back, was about the size of an EPI 100 but shallower and a bit wider.

Quite possible the same unit was marketed under a few different brand names. I never heard of Columbia as a stereo company before or since.

I could be wrong but if it is what I think it is there are probably not many of them around.
 
Back
Top Bottom