• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dac, dac, dac...

Yamaki

Living In A Firepit
Subscriber
As with any audio purchase, doing research and reading reviews is only part of the task in making a selection. One other tried and true method is to get input from fellow audio enthusiasts.

I'm in the market for a DAC. I have one but it is more of an entry level unit that seems to constrain the music. There is no depth or warmth in the mid range and the upper frequencies sound as if they are strained, harsh and brittle.

My current set up is a streamer that sends it's signal to the DAC via AES/EBU connection. I have the options of optical SPDIF and coaxial SPDIF connections as well.

My problem is I am not sure what I should be looking for with respects to the specification of the unit. Oh, I know about the connection types, the bit rates and kHz specifications but D/A converter specs, chipsets, etc..my mind is whirling!

I have narrowed my search down to:

  1. Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1
  2. PeachTree DAC-iT
  3. Rega DAC
  4. Schiit Bifrost
  5. Schiit Gungir
  6. Musical Fidelity M1A - DAC
  7. Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus

I also looked at the NAD M51 and the SimAudio (Moon) 300DV.2

I'm just not too sure what I am looking at when I read the specifications but I have one other method to make a selection...auditions!

Fortunately, most of my list can be obtained from 3 or 4 local audio stores, 3 of which I have done business with in the past.

Before I go requesting auditions (in my home, with the rest of my system) are there any suggestions on the list above? Toss any of them out? Add to the list?

Your input will be gratefully accepted!

Ivan, you will probably say "Add the McIntosh DAC, Michael". I've seen it. I want it. I can't afford it!!! :no:
 
Register to hide this ad
The Bifrost and Rega DACs have a sonic signature that meets your requirements. Both are excellent DACs for the money and stood out in a few DAC shoot-outs that I've been party to.

Options 1, 6 and 7 won't bring warmth to the table IMHO. I've not heard option 2.

I'm also a enormous audio-gd fan. The NFB 2.32 or 3.32 will net a slightly more dynamic sound than the above two DACs, but with sufficient warmth to really flesh-out the sound. Brilliant bang-for-buck for $499 and $349 respectively.

If you're happy to spend closer to $900, the Ref 5.32 and SA-1.32 are absolutely superb with 4 x PCM1704UK DAC chips each. The SA-1 is the warmer of the two.

The downside with audio-gd is that you forego the ability to audition before purchase. Still, there are scores of reviews and feedback threads out there on the net.
 
Don't forget the Maverick D2 DAC I love mine and just bought another for the living room.
Has usb optical coaxial and bnc inputs. Has tube output as well as SS.
 
pete_mac,

I saw the audio-gd DACs on my search and I'll add those to my list to look up. I was tempted the first time I saw them so my instincts must be better than I give them credit for. ;)

kc6wfs,

Thanks for the input! I'll look up the Maverick D2.
 
One other question that has come up...is it better to use the headphone at the DAC or at the downstream pre-pro?

I ask because I am wondering if I need a headphone out on the DAC. I use Sennheiser HD580's headphones.

Most of my listening will be through the speakers.
 
I have the Wyred DAC-1. Haven't compared it to anything but the regular Dac Magic, but am quite happy with it.
 
Not to confuse the issue even further, but you may also want to audition:

- NuForce DAC-100
- Burson Audio DA-160

Both are within your budget and competitive with the other DACS you listed.
 
To further add to your choices I would save money and go for the Beresford Bushmaster DAC :-

http://www.beresford.me/products/TC-7530DC.html

...I have owned the Bushmaster for a couple of months now and the sound is superb (in a DAC that retails for around $250 - they also ship to the USA).

The Bushmaster is an interesting design being one of very few passive DACs - there are no nasty op amps in the output stage to mess with the sound. The Bushmaster also has a very nice Headphone Amp which sounds superb with my Sennheiser HD650s. I previously used a dedicated Little Dot III Headphone Amp with Mullard tubes but I have moved that amp to my second system as the Bushmaster is more than good enough. Stanley Beresford modded the Headphone stage to match the impedance characteristics of my HD650s at no extra cost.

The Bushmaster has a VirtualDC circuit which helps isolate the DAC from power supply nasties. However, if you want to you can even run the Bushmaster from a 12V battery supply.

The Bushmaster is very, very good - I have heard the Audiolab M-DAC and to my ears the Bushmaster it is easily it's equal (despite being around £400 cheaper!)

Here's some viewpoints of some of the folks over at Head-Fi :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/648659/beresford-tc-7530dc-bushmaster-review-giant-killer
 
I have a Bel Canto DAC 1.5 and I love it. I have never heard a negative comment about Bel Canto DACs so you might want to add them to your list.

cubdog
 
Last edited:
To further confuse you, check out the Yulong Sabre DAC18. There's a lot of information on it at Head-Fi. So much so that I picked one up about a month ago. It replaced a Meitner Bitstream DAC that was being fed by a Stello U3. I still use the Stello U3 and really like the Yulong. Very rich sound.

Rich
 
I don't know what components you will use with your new DAC. Something to consider is that some DACs can also function as a preamp. Both my Bel Canto, and my budget Emotiva units serve as preamp/DACs in my systems. Personally, I love the simplicity this allows me.

cubdog
 
And to further add to your problems... I have arrived! No really... what's your main source for media? If it's CD or 16bit files you should give some consideration to a non-over sampling DAC. A well synced 16 bit chain will do battle with a chain which is up and/or down sampling. Regardless of that, what I am really trying to say is that "24 bit" is in some cases more marketing hype than descriptive spec. Some may read 24 bit, but not output it very well. 16 bit may not get your dog howling or rumble your neighbours house, but it can still be engaging... if that's a requirement for you. I think once you hit the $800+ region it's a safe bet that you will get great 24 bit performance. AudioGD baby...
 
My media comes from my server via a streamer by ethernet in various formats, AAC/MP3/FLAC, from 16bit/44.1 to 24bit/192.

Current streamer output is AES/EBU but I have the option of coax or optical SPDIF's as well.

I take it, poppachubby, that you have an Audio-gd unit. Which one?
 
Hey Now,

I can put in a plug for an Audio-gd DAC, I have a REF 5 (older version) which does a fantastic job. I use digital files and a CD transport through it. It is limited to 96kHz, but the 88.1/96 kHz HDTracks sound very good. No complaints. King-wa will answer any of your questions directly, nice fella and helpful.

I have gone through quite a few DACs and have settled down on 2 which are very musically engaging for me, the REF 5 and a Twisted Pear Opus (DIY). The REF 5 does duty for speakers and headphones, the Opus is strictly for speakers.

Good luck with your search.

--
Finest kind,
Chris
 
Back
Top Bottom