• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dahlquist DQ-10 Score - Very Impressed

My DQ-10's are serial # 28499 and 28497 mirror imaged, they happen to be listed in BT since my wife doesn't like the fact she can't put any knick knacks on top of them. :(
I just saw those listed this morning. What a beautiful pair! My wife loves the DQ10's. She knows how I like to buy and sell often and routinely reminds me "Don't you sell the Dahlquists, I like them."
 
It's possible it's an effect of the recap or simply my system synergy. Mine are definitely bright. Even when I had them on tube monos they could be a bit brash in the upper frequencies.

If you're ever in the Franklin area, stop by for a listen. :D

I was wondering where in NWPA you were. I'm 3 miles south of Presque Isle State Park.
Now that I think about it, my friend uses his phone as his source, that's probably why they sounded so neutral to me.
 
My DQ-10's are serial # 28499 and 28497 mirror imaged, they happen to be listed in BT since my wife doesn't like the fact she can't put any knick knacks on top of them. :(

My wife is retiring in early 2018 and has been hinting about us buying a second home in Florida. I was thinking, which speakers should I take with me? Hell, I should just stop and see you. :rflmao: Didn't you have these for sale last year at this time?
 
My wife is retiring in early 2018 and has been hinting about us buying a second home in Florida. I was thinking, which speakers should I take with me? Hell, I should just stop and see you. :rflmao: Didn't you have these for sale last year at this time?

I had a pair before these that were not mirror imaged and not as nice as far as condition. They went to Oklahoma with the same person that purchased my Frazier Elevens. These mirror imaged pair really sound much better, probably the best sound stage I have ever experienced. My 250 ti's are just better balanced with bass, but I imagine a sub would of made the DQ's shine, my preamp has no tone controls either.
 
Got mine up and running with fresh Solen film caps,( 80 uf is electrolytic) fully mirrored now, and had to replace 4 drivers with originals that I found through awesome akers!
Let me just say, WOW can you say imaging? soundstage incredible, bass may be a hair on the light side, but I really don't miss it AT ALL!
 

Attachments

  • image-20170503_103952.jpg
    image-20170503_103952.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 87
  • image-20170314_194605.jpg
    image-20170314_194605.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 81
Nice find. They were quite the big deal back in the day, not to mention very costly.

As a side note, I know 2 individuals who bought these new when released. (They both had the time align feature). The one still has his, having had them restored a few years ago. They now reside at his vacation lakefront home.

The other, well he lost interest in them and eventually just set them out for trash pickup.
 
...I know 2 individuals who bought these new when released. (They both had the time align feature). The one still has his, having had them restored a few years ago...The other, well he lost interest in them and eventually just set them out for trash pickup.

I really need to start doing a neighborhood recon on trash day...! Maybe I'll get lucky...??? :banana:
 
I really need to start doing a neighborhood recon on trash day...! Maybe I'll get lucky...??? :banana:

Yeah, I need to start trashing picking in better neighborhoods. Just to say, because someone puts a piece of gear in the trash doesn't say a thing about the quality of the gear. I have a Conrad Johnson PV10 on my shelf to prove that. What are some people thinking? I think it all comes down to laziness, wealth, or one particularly bitchy spouse.
 
I really need to start doing a neighborhood recon on trash day...! Maybe I'll get lucky...??? :banana:

Yeah, I need to start trashing picking in better neighborhoods. Just to say, because someone puts a piece of gear in the trash doesn't say a thing about the quality of the gear. I have a Conrad Johnson PV10 on my shelf to prove that. What are some people thinking? I think it all comes down to laziness, wealth, or one particularly bitchy spouse.

It amazes me that this happens. A friend of mine, right in my neighborhood, just happened to notice a Marantz 2275 thrown out right on his block. He grabbed it, cleaned it up (it worked fine), and sold it for $450.

This was about 5 years ago. Of course now he regrets selling it.
 
I just quizzed my wife by showing her the pic of the naked DQ-10s in post 46 and asked her if she recognized them. She said "yes, they are ADS" no, something else "Bose 911" no they start with a D "Diablo!" (not sure where that came from), no Dahl... "Dahlquist!"
 
My DQ-10's are serial # 28499 and 28497 mirror imaged, they happen to be listed in BT since my wife doesn't like the fact she can't put any knick knacks on top of them. :(

I cured that 14 years ago by getting rid of the wife. :D

Did the ex-wife get sold on Barter Town too (one man's trash is another man's treasure :cool:)...??? I won't ask how much you got for her, as discussions of value, might get the thread deleted! :thumbsup:
 
Wife is still here, and the DQ-10's are in storage. :hug:

Are you hugging the wife, or dreaming of the DQ-10's? :biggrin:

Oh yea, that reminds me. In 2004, I went to the CES electronics show in Vegas. That was 3 days of non-stop running back and forth to different hotels, and convention centers, listening to SOTA audio gear. But back then, The Show was always scheduled along with one of the big computer tech shows, and the Adult Video Convention! So, on one of the cab drives, between displays, I asked the cabbie about the Adult convention? I asked if it got a lot of action, from the audiophiles? He told me no, hardly any interest from the audio guys; but the computer geeks, you couldn't keep them away from the adult entertainment convention! As such, my original question still stands, "Are you hugging the wife, or dreaming of the DQ-10's"? :eek:
 
Did the ex-wife get sold on Barter Town too (one man's trash is another man's treasure :cool:)...??? I won't ask how much you got for her, as discussions of value, might get the thread deleted! :thumbsup:
No thread deletion--she was worthless. :D And no, I wouldn't want to list used-up goods on Barter Town. ;)

But seriously, I could relate to the knick-knacks. Never failed. I would get things cleaned up, and soon some crap would be deposited on top of the speakers, the top of the rear projection TV, etc. It was slightly better when we moved--my lesser system would get "decorated" but my main stuff was set up in the basement. (Only, I hated being a basement dweller.) Once she moved out in 2003, that very evening with the distant exhaust fumes of the departed moving truck still hanging in the air, the important parts of my main system came upstairs permanently.

It never occurred to me that getting speakers like the DQ-10s could have helped reduce the flowers and doilies... ;)
 
It never occurred to me that getting speakers like the DQ-10s could have helped reduce the flowers and doilies... ;)
Doilies will fit on top of a DQ. This is another reason to like the MG-IIIa, 6 feet tall and maybe 2" deep on top. Can't put much there and it is out of sight so no reason to load it up with junk. What is it about 30% of all rectangular speakers have been abused with cigarette burns, beer can rings or plant rings?
 
Doilies will fit on top of a DQ. This is another reason to like the MG-IIIa, 6 feet tall and maybe 2" deep on top. Can't put much there and it is out of sight so no reason to load it up with junk. What is it about 30% of all rectangular speakers have been abused with cigarette burns, beer can rings or plant rings?
My "end game" is a set of Martin Logans, which are impossible to balance anything skinny on top of. I have been putting off refurbishing a set of older MLs but have pretty much given up due to lack of time...so I'm hunting for a recent pair (probably the Summit X, or Montis). The tops are curved and a bit rounded, which limits female decorating options at Casa Wildcat. Also mentioning that they have "thousands of volts" running through them should also help keep the doilies away. :D
 
My "end game" is a set of Martin Logans, which are impossible to balance anything skinny on top of. I have been putting off refurbishing a set of older MLs but have pretty much given up due to lack of time...so I'm hunting for a recent pair (probably the Summit X, or Montis). The tops are curved and a bit rounded, which limits female decorating options at Casa Wildcat. Also mentioning that they have "thousands of volts" running through them should also help keep the doilies away. :D

Acoustat 2+2's would work as well. They're almost 8 feet tall. No room to put anything on top. Plus, unless the significant other is very tall, she couldn't reach up there. Though, I could picture someone using a thumb tack, to pin a drawing to the grill clothe...! :eek:
 
Acoustat 2+2's would work as well. They're almost 8 feet tall. No room to put anything on top.

Plenty of room here. The soundroom has 9 foot ceiling on one side and 17 on the other so I could see some short and tall African art perched up there. something made from a chunk of tree that isn't too thick. I'm sure there would be a step stool around to help install these 'beautification' object d'art and of course the speaker owner would be required to clean them regularly once they were in place.
 
Back
Top Bottom