• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Denon AVR x2100w Protection Circuit/Mode

Spotopolis

New Member
My 2100 was working flawlessly until my 9-year-old was showing off and cranked up the volume super fast up to max volume. It was there for about 5 seconds before it got turned back down. Ever since the protection light will come on when you power on the receiver, but only sometimes. Sometimes it will run all day long with no issues, other times it will turn on and run for a while, then the audio will just cut out, but the unit will still look like it's on. Other times, when powered on, it starts up, but then the light starts flashing red. If you sit there and power cycle it once or twice it will come back on, but some times you sit there for what feels like for 5 minutes trying to get the thing to power on.

I know it's not the speakers causing the issue. I removed all wires from the back, all inputs/outputs and the issue persist. I have factory reset it multiple times and had it unplugged from power for 24 hours, still no change. I have also opened it up, and visually, nothing looks burned up, blown, or anything other than good shape. No loose connections that I could see. I don't think it's worth it at this point to send it to be repaired by anyone, and there is no warranty left. Given the info I provided, what is the likely culprit, and should I just be able to buy a replacement board or something for it? I'd rather not shell out another couple hundred bucks for a new receiver if I could still salvage this one.
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't know the possibility of repair. Well, I'm sure it could be repair but the feasibility is at question.

The main reason for my post though is to suggest whatever happens with this receiver or a different one, many (maybe most) have a programable max volume setting. Might be something to consider going forward with kids around.
 
Spotopolis, I have one of these as well and it's a nice receiver. Plenty of options and solid power, It's worth having it checked out. The amount you would spend for the same features is most likely more than a couple hundred bucks...unless you just so happen to score a great deal somewhere.
 
Those x series denon’s had solder problems in the protection circuit. May be tough to track down until it fails completely, but the lead free solder they used is a nightmare to rework.

- Jeff
 
Back
Top Bottom