• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Denon DCD-1560 CD Player Question

My guess is a strong and quality designed laser assembly leads to them reading CD-Rs well.

Sh*t end of the stick here is that they have near-unobtainable lasers now. And if you find one, it's gonna be pricey. Really, too bad.

From what I've read, but have yet to crack one open (I've got a few 1500 IIs and a 1420), the lasers are of a variety that use 3 laser points, or some 3 "something" pickup or the like, to read the disc. sorry, I'm tired tonight and fading on proper recollection on this.

I'd venture to say, from my research on vintage players, the old Philips units seemed to be the best and most reliable of the standard units, with certain models like the Marantz units and hi-end units from PS Audio and others, possibly even the TTL Wadia, using the pickups, followed by the Denons triple laser setup, then the standard and (sorry fans) suprisingly reliable Sony units.

As for hi-end, I've been witness to claims of Sony's premiere ES units to be incredible, but now completely unobtanium. These would be the 7-series aluminum-block works of art, truly beefy units and fine-crafted indeed. Philips units, well-built from the start, are becoming uncommon as unused stereo items are routinely tossed (folk- keep an eye out for the cheap Magnavox units, with curved laser path in the tray- they're dressed-down Phillips!!!), and same for the beloved Denons, who, still going strong after all these years, are surely on borrowed time. Sad indeed.
 
I have the original Denon DCD-1500 at home.
What is the difference between the 1500 and the 1560.....anyone?
THANKS!!

Steve
 
1520

I have a 1520 ....witch was GW find:D.....what would the comparisons be.....I am new to the scene.....I am pleasently satisfied with this unit.........but i have not bean able to compare it to anything besides a Nakamichi CD player 4......
 
I have the original Denon DCD-1500 at home.
What is the difference between the 1500 and the 1560.....anyone?
THANKS!!

Steve

steve, I can't say specifics, but the 1560 is considered a very nice player. Seems to sell a bit more than the 1500,. 1500 II and 1520 on average.

I dunno if it, too, has that un-obtanium laser.


I have a 1520 ....witch was GW find:D.....what would the comparisons be.....I am new to the scene.....I am pleasently satisfied with this unit.........but i have not bean able to compare it to anything besides a Nakamichi CD player 4......

It's a good performer. I've got a 1420 as well as the 1500 IIs. I'm not suprised you like it.:thmbsp:
 
Sh*t end of the stick here is that they have near-unobtainable lasers now. And if you find one, it's gonna be pricey. Really, too bad.

A few places still have the Sony KSS151A laser pickup used in the 1560 (and a few other Denon, Sony, Aiwa, and a couple other makes.) Last price I found was on the order of $140. Denon typically used Sony transports, the higher-end machines like the 1560 use the Sony Linear Motor pickup, which is IMHO an unsurpassed mechanism for tracking and quick access. As long as the laser diode holds out they're an incredibly-robust drive. I have an '87 or so vintage CDP-302 with a linear motor transport, and aside from a slightly sticky tray the machine plays flawlessly.

I probably should squirrel away some change and order one of those pickups as a spare for my 1560 just in case...the machine is getting on 18 years old (April 1990 mfg date) and I'd like to keep it running. There are new players out there that are wonderful, robust, and built like tanks. Trouble is, I can't even begin to afford one. :(

TP
 
A few places still have the Sony KSS151A laser pickup used in the 1560....Last price I found was on the order of $140.

That is what my initial web research indicated as well. If I buy the used 1560 I will pick up a spare laser assembly for it.
 
Dcd-1500, Dcd-1500ii, Dcd-1420, Dcd-1520, Dcd-1560, 2560, 3520, Dcd-3560

Denon DCD-1500, DCD-1500II, DCD-1420, DCD-1520, DCD-1560, 2560, 3520, DCD-3560:
I own all of these and they are all pretty to very good Denon cd players that were released in the late 80's to early 90's. Only the 1500 uses the older Sony laser pickup unit, I can't remember which one but I think it's a 210 or 240. The rest uses the same KSs-151A which is becoming very expensive to replace.

Since the transport parts are the same, the only big difference are the case , power supply, DAC and opamps and as the model numbers go up, they are newer and better. The weight also goes up from about 20 lbs to 45 (DCD-3560)

I also have some DCD-1700, DCD-3300 which have the KSS-123A a generation before the KSS-151A. These pickups are almost impossible to get but the cd players are very solid.

I would have to say that I am addicted to Denon products. I recently got a DAP-5500 preamp/DAC. I am looking for a nice Denon power amp. Any recommendations anyone? I want to use the XLR (balanced) input/outputs which are better for noise/EMI stuff.

WSJOE
 
OK, I went ahead and bought the 1560 I was considering. $60. I'm pretty dubious of the whole concept of a "vintage" CDP, and I don't need another one but this seemed like it was worth picking up. It is definitely the heaviest CD player I have ever seen.

Original owner, original box and packing styrofoam, and owner's manual. Looked to be in near mint condition, not from a frat house. The owner did admit that the player occasionally exhibited the "lazy tray" symptom, but he said it had otherwise performed flawlessly.
 
Back
Top Bottom